Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #43
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Golf is the most expensive sport, then being a pilot. So tires are cheap.
Very true....lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #44
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Golf is the most expensive sport, then being a pilot. So tires are cheap.
Off Shore Fishing is the the most ridiculous...you spend the cost of a set of tires every time you fill up to go out, with just the hopes of bringing in a catch.

BOAT: = Bring Out Another Thousand.

~~~~~~~~~~

So many threads on tires & I'm still gonna be one of those guys 2nd guessing myself on what to get next...trying to convince myself just to go with stock again to not fret & I still got a ways to go.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #45
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipline View Post
These pics and vids are quite sobering. I cringe when I read threads on internet forums about amateurs in street cars with 6 or 7 hundred horsepower making top end runs of 190-200 MPH and honestly believing that they are good to go at those ridiculous speeds. They are not. Leave those speeds to the pros guys.
idk.. there are risks everytime you get behind the wheel but you don't need to be professional to go 200 mph
Attached Images

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #46
four0nefive

Drives: Nothing Fast (Yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Can't fix stupid....

Tracking on bald tires....
I like how everyone who wasn't there decides to assume what happened. While I'm sure his tires were not in perfect condition, the driver did fine the rest of the day. He's really not the problem. Its Pacific Raceways and the condition of the track. Its extremely bumpy all over the place and it really isn't hard to unsettle the car there.

This is one of three cars I know of that have been totaled there within the last year. Its a shame really how the track isn't taken care of.

For those wondering, the driver is fine (although you guys seem more concerned about the car and his driving skills evidentially). For what its worth, he took the corner at the same speed earlier in the day and was killing it out there. I'm guessing it just happened to be a slightly different line this time around and that was the result.

Anyways, point is that some of you need to stop being internet a**holes and jumping to conclusions.

And before someone asks, yes I was there. I was there for whole track day.
four0nefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #47
four0nefive

Drives: Nothing Fast (Yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Well, he took the entire front wheel off. That means he had to hit something solid. From watching some of that venue track video with all of the hard barriers on that track I would guess he got in an early oversteer situation and clipped a wall at the apex. Could be the tires were not up to temp yet or could be simple track debris.... could be a lot of things. S#!t happens. I've spun or gone off track several times in my lifetime but knock on wood... never had any major car damage. I must admit that track does not look like the ideal venue to push the limits of the car. I prefer more curbing and run off areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Turn 1 is a bit tricky at Pacific Raceways, I've seen other crashes there before. This is a high speed corner and if someone doesn't pay attention to the maintenance throttle it may result in a lift off oversteer and crash easily. This may or may not be the case here of course:

The whole lift off oversteer is exactly what happened from what I saw. A lot of it was due to the dip/slight bump coming on to the straight.

Last edited by four0nefive; 05-30-2017 at 11:04 PM.
four0nefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM   #48
Mize442

Drives: Current driver AMC emlin X 5ltr.
I do feel for the driver
Mize442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #49
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by four0nefive View Post
I like how everyone who wasn't there decides to assume what happened. While I'm sure his tires were not in perfect condition, the driver did fine the rest of the day. He's really not the problem. Its Pacific Raceways and the condition of the track. Its extremely bumpy all over the place and it really isn't hard to unsettle the car there.

This is one of three cars I know of that have been totaled there within the last year. Its a shame really how the track isn't taken care of.

For those wondering, the driver is fine (although you guys seem more concerned about the car and his driving skills evidentially). For what its worth, he took the corner at the same speed earlier in the day and was killing it out there. I'm guessing it just happened to be a slightly different line this time around and that was the result.

Anyways, point is that some of you need to stop being internet a**holes and jumping to conclusions.

And before someone asks, yes I was there. I was there for whole track day.
I stand my my comments. Read the whole thread before posting.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #50
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Partout?

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #51
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I hate seeing this on the internet. Not the actual damaged car, but photos or videos of wrecks at track days unless they were put out by the vehicle owner. It's just poor taste and is one of those unwritten rules of track day etiquette. Don't take photos of wrecked cars during a track day and put them out in the universe.
+1

I wish more people (everyone?!?) understood that.

I do around 25 - 30 track days a year. I would say at 3/4ths of these days at least one car is totaled. Sometimes several. One day at Road America last year, four cars were totaled including a brand new GT350R. Just got back from Road Atlanta Memorial Day weekend and zero cars wrecked in two days with some very fast cars on a tough course. It was a great event, very well done by the organizer (Chin) and all 100 some drivers.

Wrecks occur for dozens of different reasons, some on the driver, many are not. Sometimes the driver doesn't even know what happens. Certainly people on the internet don't know and shouldn't believe they do.

Driver protocol is to go over and make sure the driver is ok, try to lift his spirits the best you can, be supportive, and when the car shows up on the flatbed, get the hell out of there and give the guy some time and space with his car. Definitely no pics. Ever. Very poor taste and even worse karma.

If the driver chooses to post some pics on a forum and share his experience and maybe some advice on how to avoid a similar fate.....that is, and should be, his call. Not someone else's.

Just sayin....

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #52
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I hate seeing this on the internet. Not the actual damaged car, but photos or videos of wrecks at track days unless they were put out by the vehicle owner. It's just poor taste and is one of those unwritten rules of track day etiquette. Don't take photos of wrecked cars during a track day and put them out in the universe.
There are several of my road course vids I've posted over the years (other places) that have 10-15s missing with a cutout in place noting there was an offroad excursion here and there's just no need to show that.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #53
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
+1

One day at Road America last year, four cars were totaled including a brand new GT350R.
I was there one year in the pouring rain and in our parade entry lap for our session, someone in a newish BMW on full slick went out and made it to the Kink and turned in to a pinball. Not even a full lap. Car had to come off on a flatbed and was deemed totaled.. That driver was responsible for the slick ban on that run group for that organizer... In that case, 100% driver error.. He should have known better than running a full slick in rain like that.

Another time, an unfortunate engine mishap up the front straight, right before Turn 1, landed a "new to the owner" C6 Z06 a total loss.. He dropped something, lost oil, his rears hit that and he went right in to the right-handside wall at speed.. He walked away from it, but given what that car is made out of, it was also a full loss.. Without knowing the details, it could have easily been deemed a driver error.. But, it was indeed a sudden part failure that made oil slick and physics took over. Not much anyone can do at that point other than pray.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #54
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
+1

I do around 25 - 30 track days a year. I would say at 3/4ths of these days at least one car is totaled. Sometimes several. One day at Road America last year, four cars were totaled including a brand new GT350R. Just got back from Road Atlanta Memorial Day weekend and zero cars wrecked in two days with some very fast cars on a tough course. It was a great event, very well done by the organizer (Chin) and all 100 some drivers.

Wrecks occur for dozens of different reasons, some on the driver, many are not. Sometimes the driver doesn't even know what happens. Certainly people on the internet don't know and shouldn't believe they do.

Driver protocol is to go over and make sure the driver is ok, try to lift his spirits the best you can, be supportive, and when the car shows up on the flatbed, get the hell out of there and give the guy some time and space with his car. Definitely no pics. Ever. Very poor taste and even worse karma.

If the driver chooses to post some pics on a forum and share his experience and maybe some advice on how to avoid a similar fate.....that is, and should be, his call. Not someone else's.

Just sayin....
+1 give the man some time and space.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #55
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
+1 give the man some time and space.

looks like we at least shooed the mustang troll out for now. I know a lot of nice mustang drivers but them guys don't have a leg to stand on talking about car control.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #56
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
+1

Just sayin....
+1. Well said!