Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #99
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Just installed my TM ported tb and Rotofab and the difference in 1st gear starts is night and day. Butter smooth with the ported tb...
Attached Images

SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #100
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Welcome to the TM TB club. I've been enjoying it since the 100 mile mark...I'm now at 4500 miles.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #101
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Daughter is sleeping so I'll test drive when she wakes up.
Ok I tried it...

Wow, that was nothing like the experience I had on my Z06. This was flawless!

Z06 had improved take off but jerky/twitchy throttle everywhere else.

ZL1 feels smooth as butter on take off and smooth as butter everywhere else.

I don't know what the difference is but I like it.

BTW - this is the exact same TB I had on my Z06, just unplugged and plugged into my ZL1.

So I'm officially

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #102
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Ok I tried it...

BTW - this is the exact same TB I had on my Z06, just unplugged and plugged into my ZL1.

So I'm officially

Angry,

Thanks for the update. I expect to see the same results as well. Just waiting for my unit to arrive!

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #103
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Ok I tried it...

So I'm officially
Do you get instant revs when you pull the clutch in and blip the throttle?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 AM   #104
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
I was able to get a slight stumble/lurch the first drive after my TM TB/roto fab install, but ever since that day it has not happened again. I will update later when i have more time to drive, we finally got some warmer weather here this weekend.

I’m a blipper when taking off so it’ll show up if there’s a problem still.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #105
Johnjan

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I have no doubt this has been done before, but I had dug up my old TM TB and decided to give it a try today so I took some photos for those that haven't seen.

They're identical.

Notable differences:
- The stock TB has dirty greasy finger prints all over it.
- The stock TB has a 2018 where the TM TB has a 2015.
- Serial numbers are different obviously

Nothing visibly different unless you remove it.

So if someone wanted to look very close at the back of the TB they could possibly tell, but I doubt anyone would. It's close enough that I'd not bother swapping back for regular service, only warranty work and recall/TSBs.

Takes 5 minutes to swap.

EDIT: BTW - I wouldn't call the TM TB polished. The grind is not smooth to touch but that could be by design, too smooth may cause too much twitchy throttle?

Very good pictures! I don't think the surface finish is what makes as much of a difference. My airflow experience (I built wind tunnels for the air quality research facility at Texas A&M back in the day) leads me to believe that the abrupt lip just upstream of the throttle blades would cause very turbulent airflow at small throttle openings. This turbulent flow would be a non-issue at wider throttle openings. However, at and just off idle, the small area open to airflow is probably very disturbed, and exacerbated by the throttle blade itself. By cleaning up that lip in the ported condition, airflow through the throttle body at small throttle openings would be improved.

Perhaps a better tune calibration could cover that up, but the physics governing airflow can not be changed.
Johnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #106
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
I was able to get a slight stumble/lurch the first drive after my TM TB/roto fab install, but ever since that day it has not happened again. I will update later when i have more time to drive, we finally got some warmer weather here this weekend.

I’m a blipper when taking off so it’ll show up if there’s a problem still.
No tune? I know neither of them need a tune on their own but together have you data logged or seen AFR? Just worried if I do both I may run lean even with the overly rich factory tune.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #107
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
No tune? I know neither of them need a tune on their own but together have you data logged or seen AFR? Just worried if I do both I may run lean even with the overly rich factory tune.
No tune here until I'm ready to do some headers/e85. I see alot of others running the TB/CAI without tune also so I did not datalog and simply assumed I'm safe...hope that doesn't bite me
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #108
angryBits

Quote:
Ok I tried it...

So I'm officially
UPDATE: Check engine light

I went on a road trip to Monterey this weekend, about 90 miles from where I live (SF Bay Area).
About 30 miles into the trip, the check engine light came on. I called onstar and asked them for the code but they said there was no code. I tried this 3 times hours apart and still no code. This morning the check engine light is gone.

Here's what happened:
It was overcast but not wet until about 20 miles then medium rain started to come down. About 10 miles/minutes later I decided to put the car into Snow/Ice mode (because I had my wife and daughter in the car). Literally seconds after switching to Snow/Ice I got the check engine light (probably just coincidence). No codes like I said. Then gone the next morning.

For 90 miles on the return trip the check engine light did not return, however I drove VERY VERY cautiously at like 50mph the whole way because it was POURING and POOLED water and I'm on my Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires which REALLY DO NOT LIKE POOLED WATER! I was literally surfing much of the way.

Anyway, my point is, the fact that it did not return may just be because I didn't do any heavy throttle, or it may be because it was just a fluke -- I'll keep you all posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
Angry,

Thanks for the update. I expect to see the same results as well. Just waiting for my unit to arrive!

JJ
Good luck! Keep an eye out for check engine light -- I got one (read above) and I've heard others have gotten them as well. TM does offer a less aggressive TB if this happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Do you get instant revs when you pull the clutch in and blip the throttle?
Instant revs, zero lag, feels good!

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 01-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #109
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
UPDATE: Check engine light

I went on a road trip to Monterey this weekend, about 90 miles from where I live (SF Bay Area).
About 30 miles into the trip, the check engine light came on. I called onstar and asked them for the code but they said there was no code. I tried this 3 times hours apart and still no code. This morning the check engine light is gone.

Here's what happened:
It was overcast but not wet until about 20 miles then medium rain started to come down. About 10 miles/minutes later I decided to put the car into Snow/Ice mode (because I had my wife and daughter in the car). Literally seconds after switching to Snow/Ice I got the check engine light (probably just coincidence). No codes like I said. Then gone the next morning.

For 90 miles on the return trip the check engine light did not return, however I drove VERY VERY cautiously at like 50mph the whole way because it was POURING and POOLED water and I'm on my Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires which REALLY DO NOT LIKE POOLED WATER! I was literally surfing much of the way.

Anyway, my point is, the fact that it did not return may just be because I didn't do any heavy throttle, or it may be because it was just a fluke -- I'll keep you all posted.

Good luck! Keep an eye out for check engine light -- I got one (read above) and I've heard others have gotten them as well. TM does offer a less aggressive TB if this happens.

Instant revs, zero lag, feels good!
When my cousin first got his Mamo, it threw lights. Tony sent him a less aggressive one and no more lights.
-Bobby
Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #110
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
When my cousin first got his Mamo, it threw lights. Tony sent him a less aggressive one and no more lights.
-Bobby
Yeah I remember hearing about these on the Z06 forum but it never happened to me. Tony seemed good about resolving it.

However mine is now over a year old, I hope Tony will still swap it.

Or better yet, maybe the light won't come back again

Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #111
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
This engine light thing sucks ! I wonder how it is possible to have the check engine light on without it giving any codes. Makes no sense.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #112
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
This engine light thing sucks ! I wonder how it is possible to have the check engine light on without it giving any codes. Makes no sense.
Yeah I was pretty surprised too. The code should have been available until it was cleared.

I haven't had a chance yet but I plan to hook up my HP-Tuners OBD2 reader to check it myself.