Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,656
Wow...If AFM is on all V-8 LT1 Gen6 Camaros...that is cause for concern...maybe the Vette boys have found a way around it already, or perhaps soon...

On another note, this direct injection business.....the LFX V-6 Camaros have that already...(seems to be a plus), but also means no after-market headers????...wonder if the same would be the case on direct-injection LT1s...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Wow...If AFM is on all V-8 LT1 Gen6 Camaros...that is cause for concern...maybe the Vette boys have found a way around it already, or perhaps soon...

On another note, this direct injection business.....the LFX V-6 Camaros have that already...(seems to be a plus), but also means no after-market headers????...wonder if the same would be the case on direct-injection LT1s...
LLT is DI and you can have headers. LFX also has the exhaust manifold integrated in the heads, that is why they can't do headers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
sspolo
 
sspolo's Avatar
 
Drives: None at the moment :'(
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 545
Does the Camaro and Corvette share the same engine? From what I understood, the ZR1 has the LS9, the Z06 has the LS7. Does the base Corvette have the LS3? If it does, I would have imagined the Camaro SS having an "inferior" engine in comparison to the base Corvette.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
Does the Camaro and Corvette share the same engine? From what I understood, the ZR1 has the LS9, the Z06 has the LS7. Does the base Corvette have the LS3? If it does, I would have imagined the Camaro SS having an "inferior" engine in comparison to the base Corvette.
Yes, base Vette has the LS3 and the Grand Sport Coupe has a dry sump LS3.
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
LLT is DI and you can have headers. LFX also has the exhaust manifold integrated in the heads, that is why they can't do headers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Ok...so let's say this LT1 engine is the "standard" V-8 for the 6thGen SS...

...any rumors, or whatever about other V-8 options?...LS7? LS3, is done with?...Could these be special ordered???...just hoping some V-8 would be available without AFM...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 33,851
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
LT4 will probably work its way into the 6th gen eventually.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
LT4 will probably work its way into the 6th gen eventually.
Ok...I'll bite...What the heck is an LT4?...lol...(sorry...lol)...(the short version will do)...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 33,851
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Well let's just say the Gen V V8 is very friendly with forced induction.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Ok...so let's say this LT1 engine is the "standard" V-8 for the 6thGen SS...

...any rumors, or whatever about other V-8 options?...LS7? LS3, is done with?...Could these be special ordered???...just hoping some V-8 would be available without AFM...
I think the rumors about the LS7 are more for the final year(s) of the 5th Gen. I think (read hope) the LS7 will have it's swan song with the Camaro, but I'm pretty sure its on the way out.

I don't really know what to expect with the LS3. I don't think it will go away immediately, but GM is going the migrate everything over to the Gen V motors at some point. We will probably see the LS3 and L99 through the rest of the 5th Gen Camaro runs. We may see the L99 popup in some other platforms before it is retired. It's all really hard to guess, but we know ultimately GM will replace the Gen IV motors with the Gen V motors.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well let's just say the Gen V V8 is very friendly with forced induction.
We've touched on this subject before, and I have to say I don't doubt that at all.

The V6 DI engines are capable of making some pretty impressive power figures with just 6 - 8 psi of boost. (450+ HP at the crank) But past that amount of boost, we typically see fuel issues where the stock pump can't keep up.

That same small amount of boost on a modern V8 DI engine should be super impressive.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
We've touched on this subject before, and I have to say I don't doubt that at all.

The V6 DI engines are capable of making some pretty impressive power figures with just 6 - 8 psi of boost. (450+ HP at the crank) But past that amount of boost, we typically see fuel issues where the stock pump can't keep up.

That same small amount of boost on a modern V8 DI engine should be super impressive.
Yeah, these mechanical High-Pressure Fuel Pumps are a PITA. Too big and they flow too much fuel at idle and low RPMs. Too small and they don't flow enough at the high RPMs. It would be nice if they had two, one that had a valve that didn't open to the fuel rails until the RPMs were above 4000, otherwise it just recirculates the fuel. I think that would solve the problem for high HP demands.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah, these mechanical High-Pressure Fuel Pumps are a PITA. Too big and they flow too much fuel at idle and low RPMs. Too small and they don't flow enough at the high RPMs. It would be nice if they had two, one that had a valve that didn't open to the fuel rails until the RPMs were above 4000, otherwise it just recirculates the fuel. I think that would solve the problem for high HP demands.
Design it, patent it, and we'll go into business and sell that to car manufacturers for ridiculous amounts of money
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Design it, patent it, and we'll go into business and sell that to car manufacturers for ridiculous amounts of money
I'll leave that to the big guys because it would be expensive to develop. May have a better thing in the works for much cheaper, but it won't be my idea. Working on a way to port inject supplemental fuel at higher RPMs. It will have the advantage in that it will clean the valves, too (big problem with DI engines). Going to try to make it so you can also inject nitrous as well .
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 27,582
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just curious...If the new Gen6 is smaller, lighter, handles better, etc., how would the hp/torq/0-60, etc. compare to the Gen5?...I've heard code numbers for other V-8's (LS7, whatever), what are we talking in c.i. or horsepower?...Will the LS3 or L99 be unchanged in the Gen6...

(Sort of burned out on the I-4 thing, so what about the "big-dog" engines that may go in the Gen6?)...Thanks...
Your best bet is to look into the new Gen-V small blocks that GM has developed. I'm sure there will be many variants, but the LT-1 in the new Corvette pumps out 450+hp/450+torque, with a torque curve similar to the LS7 up to about 4000 rpms...and dramatically increased fuel economy, too.

But...as long as your crystal ball is polished - you're guess is as good as mine!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.