CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2016 6th Gen SS (V8) "Upgrades"... (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277619)

90503 02-17-2013 09:37 AM

2016 6th Gen SS (V8) "Upgrades"...
 
Just curious...If the new Gen6 is smaller, lighter, handles better, etc., how would the hp/torq/0-60, etc. compare to the Gen5?...I've heard code numbers for other V-8's (LS7, whatever), what are we talking in c.i. or horsepower?...Will the LS3 or L99 be unchanged in the Gen6...

(Sort of burned out on the I-4 thing, so what about the "big-dog" engines that may go in the Gen6?)...Thanks...

GretchenGotGrowl 02-17-2013 09:42 AM

I think the LT1 will probably find its way into the Gen6. We don't know how much HP/TQ it will have when certified, but if GM's estimates of 450 are right then it should be very impressive in an approximately 300 lb lighter car. Only time will tell if the alpha platform is the choice for the Camaro and if you can fit an LT1 in it. I'm hopeful.

KMPrenger 02-17-2013 11:48 AM

Agree with gretchen. LT1 should make its way into the 6th gen. With the lighter weight there wouldn't have to be any more power than the current car to be a better performer...especially since the LT1 makes even better torque down low than the LS3 and L99 do.

If it comes in at 450/450 it will be a killer machine.

90503 02-17-2013 12:46 PM

Sorry for not knowing...but an LT1 is a what...V-8,...6.2 liter?...crank hp?...currently being used in Vettes???....a newer version of LS3?...

SlingShot 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6171688)
Sorry for not knowing...but an LT1 is a what...V-8,...6.2 liter?...crank hp?...currently being used in Vettes???....a newer version of LS3?...


Here is a good write up ...

BigBlock69RS 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6171688)
Sorry for not knowing...but an LT1 is a what...V-8,...6.2 liter?...crank hp?...currently being used in Vettes???....a newer version of LS3?...

Here is some interesting reading

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-l...ch-280365.html

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

It is a brand new Gen V small block used in the C7 Vette. It is 6.2 liters with direct injection, VVT, and the dreaded AFM. GM estimates it with 450 HP 450 TQ. Apparently the torque curve is close to the LS7.

90503 02-17-2013 02:35 PM

Read the above links...thanks, boys...(sounds like they were written by the same guy, or they paraphrased the same press release...lol)...Anyway, sounds like a "better" engine...

...Didn't see any disclaimer about the AFM not being in manual cars...it was mentioned as akin to the L99 ...(Not sure what the case is with the 'Vettes)...AFM with a manual trans, would that even be possible?...

90503 02-17-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karguy (Post 6172260)
The new direct injected V8 is not necessarily better.AFM...:barf:
Which makes me think why would GM go through the additional cost of direct injection (as in a more expensive higher pressure pump) if the engine really doesn't make more power (additional variable valve timing) or get better mileage without AFM...
Also on direct injected engines intake valves can get more carbon buildup on intake valves since there is no gas that can clean them.
Another hint may be Porsche.While the new regular 911 get direct injected engines,the new sports GT3RS will have not direct injection.
Direct injection might be another gimmick for maybe slightly cleaner emissions...who knows?

Was thinking about AFM only...which my understanding is what shuts off the 4 cylinders...V-6s now have direct injection, without AFM, no cylinder shut-down...V-8's have L99 with AFM, LS3 does not have AFM...Wondering about the LT1, cylinder shut-down with both automatic and manual trans?, or AFM (cylinder shut-down) with the manual trans also with the LT1....

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6172576)
Was thinking about AFM only...which my understanding is what shuts off the 4 cylinders...V-6s now have direct injection, without AFM, no cylinder shut-down...V-8's have L99 with AFM, LS3 does not have AFM...Wondering about the LT1, cylinder shut-down with both automatic and manual trans?, or AFM (cylinder shut-down) with the manual trans also with the LT1....

Both manual and auto... That's why the LT1 makes me sick :barf:

SlingShot 02-17-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karguy (Post 6172260)
The new direct injected V8 is not necessarily better.AFM...:barf:
Which makes me think why would GM go through the additional cost of direct injection (as in a more expensive higher pressure pump) if the engine really doesn't make more power (additional variable valve timing) or get better mileage without AFM...
Also on direct injected engines intake valves can get more carbon buildup on intake valves since there is no gas that can clean them.
Another hint may be Porsche.While the new regular 911 get direct injected engines,the new sports GT3RS will have not direct injection.
Direct injection might be another gimmick for maybe slightly cleaner emissions...who knows?


One of the big things is the difference in power curves between DI and non DI engines. If you look at a dyno graph the HP has a curve where the TQ is flat in the DI engine. I believe the AFM will be used just to save on the GG tax.

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 6172706)
One of the big things is the difference in power curves between DI and non DI engines. If you look at a dyno graph the HP has a curve where the TQ is flat in the DI engine. I believe the AFM will be used just to save on the GG tax.

It's being used to raise the CAFE ratings. The Corvette doesn't have GG tax to begin with.

SlingShot 02-17-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 6172712)
It's being used to raise the CAFE ratings. The Corvette doesn't have GG tax to begin with.


The ZR1 does ... But who know as far as the 2014, prices haven't been released yet.

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 6172750)
The ZR1 does ... But who know as far as the 2014, prices haven't been released yet.

Just saying, if an LS3 based Corvette doesn't have it, a non afm based LT1 wouldn't have it.

90503 02-17-2013 07:09 PM

Wow...If AFM is on all V-8 LT1 Gen6 Camaros...that is cause for concern...maybe the Vette boys have found a way around it already, or perhaps soon...

On another note, this direct injection business.....the LFX V-6 Camaros have that already...(seems to be a plus), but also means no after-market headers????...wonder if the same would be the case on direct-injection LT1s...

GretchenGotGrowl 02-17-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6173106)
Wow...If AFM is on all V-8 LT1 Gen6 Camaros...that is cause for concern...maybe the Vette boys have found a way around it already, or perhaps soon...

On another note, this direct injection business.....the LFX V-6 Camaros have that already...(seems to be a plus), but also means no after-market headers????...wonder if the same would be the case on direct-injection LT1s...

LLT is DI and you can have headers. LFX also has the exhaust manifold integrated in the heads, that is why they can't do headers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

sspolo 02-17-2013 09:14 PM

Does the Camaro and Corvette share the same engine? From what I understood, the ZR1 has the LS9, the Z06 has the LS7. Does the base Corvette have the LS3? If it does, I would have imagined the Camaro SS having an "inferior" engine in comparison to the base Corvette.

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspolo (Post 6173723)
Does the Camaro and Corvette share the same engine? From what I understood, the ZR1 has the LS9, the Z06 has the LS7. Does the base Corvette have the LS3? If it does, I would have imagined the Camaro SS having an "inferior" engine in comparison to the base Corvette.

Yes, base Vette has the LS3 and the Grand Sport Coupe has a dry sump LS3.

90503 02-18-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6173140)
LLT is DI and you can have headers. LFX also has the exhaust manifold integrated in the heads, that is why they can't do headers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ok...so let's say this LT1 engine is the "standard" V-8 for the 6thGen SS...

...any rumors, or whatever about other V-8 options?...LS7? LS3, is done with?...Could these be special ordered???...just hoping some V-8 would be available without AFM...

FenwickHockey65 02-18-2013 11:13 AM

LT4 will probably work its way into the 6th gen eventually.

90503 02-18-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6175509)
LT4 will probably work its way into the 6th gen eventually.

Ok...I'll bite...What the heck is an LT4?...lol...(sorry...lol)...(the short version will do)...lol

FenwickHockey65 02-18-2013 11:19 AM

Well let's just say the Gen V V8 is very friendly with forced induction.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.