Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
brlcla

Drives: 1.4T Airboat, 2.0T Airboat (soon)
EFR 7163 - Standalone Build

I joined the forum to do some opinion shopping at idea building. I am outside the car so its a bit easier for me, but looking at putting an EFR 7163 on the LTG after I build the internal with CP Forged parts.

I am looking for any exhaust manifolds available and any other thoughts from the group. I am talking with ZZP, BNR, etc... so not worried about the tuning side, got it handled. I think I have a guy who will build intake and exhaust mani, but looking for readily available items that may be out there I am not finding easily.
brlcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Aside from long term in-development projects what you see is what you get but i like your idea on the EFR 7163 after the forged internals.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Check Alpha fab industries. They can probably help.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
brlcla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Check Alpha fab industries. They can probably help.
Thanks but no thanks... not gonna spread my business on here but just gonna say I hope they turned things around.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
brlcla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Aside from long term in-development projects what you see is what you get but i like your idea on the EFR 7163 after the forged internals.
ZZP just emailed and stated the 7163 variant of the ZFR should be out before end of summer.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlcla View Post
ZZP just emailed and stated the 7163 variant of the ZFR should be out before end of summer.
This is amazing news I've been holding my breath for!
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
YASSSS
Attached Images

RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
brlcla

Anyone determined max fuel flow yet? Ive read a few post on here but nothing definitive.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Anyone determined max fuel flow yet? Ive read a few post on here but nothing definitive.

Im not sure what your building, or what your fuel system will be, so I will reference crank HP and stock LPFP limit only. Roughly 380HP on E85.
Stock HPFP has a slightly higher limit.

More detail on the airboat possible??

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
brlcla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Im not sure what your building, or what your fuel system will be, so I will reference crank HP and stock LPFP limit only. Roughly 380HP on E85.
Stock HPFP has a slightly higher limit.

More detail on the airboat possible??
Yes sir airboat it shall be with a goal of 450-500HP Crank on E85 (or 105+ Race Fuel)... i figure around 24-26psi boost but depends on how much cylinder head flows! not worried about stock LPFP... gonna feed the HPFP with a Bosch 044 style pump (maybe AEM version) with a regulated return and ditch the FPCM (fuel line pressure sensor feeds ECU data so doesnt matter what pump is supplying the pressure, ECU only reads line pressure and directs the FPCM what to do to correct pressure, pull up resistor communication so basically constant on off switching regulates pressure)... I am waiting on XDI to get me their fuel flow curves for the -35 and -60 on E85 and how much HP they can support... price is a heavy bite, but looks like they are the only ones in the game currently.

I currently have an airboat running the 1.4L turbo with E78 ECU... ditched the FPCM on it also... the ECM in the 1.4L doesn't even care about monitoring fuel pressure, it makes injector pulse adjustments as long as you have pressure to get into the manifold under boost... but I hold it at about 56psi with a Bosch 044 pump and Aeromotive regulator.

I pulled the wiring diagrams from a 2015 Buick Regal Manual Transmission (its the last model I found with LTG and manual trans and ive been told to hold off on E80 bc its a pain to crack for standalone) as a starting point. E39A ECU... so I have it a bit easier than the E80 in the Camaro (FYI yalls wiring is crazy when you look into it)... just saw this forum as the most active in discussion for mods so I joined up to talk and see what the latest is on the engine.

Also E92 (sold as standalone) and E39A have just about all the same pin outs except for a few repeater signal outs that feed dash data.

If any of you want to really look into the details of the car signals and how the car is wired... $20 gets you three days access to GMSi and you can download every wiring diagram... beats spending $250+ on USB manuals or hardcopies. I have all the Camaro wiring as reference data because I was looking at using the E80 at first but found the E39A manual trans wiring much simpler... also pulled the LFX data so I could find the pin out on the E39A for flex fuel.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home

Last edited by brlcla; 07-13-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Nice to have you here brlcla! XDI is nice if you want to spend the coin, if not ZZP's larger fuel pump cam lobe should get ya real close to your power goal's. I believe they are around 450@ the wheels with their car at camarofest today(50/50blend?)
Also, you should reach out to Jason@JacFab. I think he is possibly working on a HPFP solution.

And yeah, the E80 is a giant pain on so many levels. Smart decision nixing that. It was interesting to say the least just getting flex fuel to function properly..lol

p.s. If you need any other GM diagrams, shoot me a P.M.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #12
brlcla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Nice to have you here brlcla! XDI is nice if you want to spend the coin, if not ZZP's larger fuel pump cam lobe should get ya real close to your power goal's. I believe they are around 450@ the wheels with their car at camarofest today(50/50blend?)
Also, you should reach out to Jason@JacFab. I think he is possibly working on a HPFP solution.

And yeah, the E80 is a giant pain on so many levels. Smart decision nixing that. It was interesting to say the least just getting flex fuel to function properly..lol

p.s. If you need any other GM diagrams, shoot me a P.M.
ZZP HPFP according to them will be next year before release. not holding my breath... same as their 7163 ZFR... ive got cash (if the 2nd half of year goes well :-) ) and resources available to fab what I need to get the turbo off shelf and I wanna see XDI's flow curves just to see what they can offer flow wise for the $. I mean its a diaphragm pump but at 3000psi.

Trying to hold off on cams for now... focus is on the bottom end not coming apart.

Ive already gone thru all the schematics and know where to make the splices and how to wire it so I shouldnt need anymore... its damn near identical to my current set up on the 1.4L with E78 except a few more motor control sensors for the DI and Oil monitoring that the 1.4L doesnt have. Fuses and Relay set up is identical and rest of engine control is the same.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
ZZP HPFP according to them will be next year before release. not holding my breath... same as their 7163 ZFR... ive got cash (if the 2nd half of year goes well :-) ) and resources available to fab what I need to get the turbo off shelf and I wanna see XDI's flow curves just to see what they can offer flow wise for the $. I mean its a diaphragm pump but at 3000psi.

Trying to hold off on cams for now... focus is on the bottom end not coming apart.

Ive already gone thru all the schematics and know where to make the splices and how to wire it so I shouldnt need anymore... its damn near identical to my current set up on the 1.4L with E78 except a few more motor control sensors for the DI and Oil monitoring that the 1.4L doesnt have. Fuses and Relay set up is identical and rest of engine control is the same.

Very nice, you have GOT to keep us posted on your project, findings, and progress. Technical information is still rare, even though this is the most active LTG forum. Partially because the vast majority of LTG camaro's are just now falling out of warranty, and few risked voiding that.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
I wanna see XDI's flow curves just to see what they can offer flow wise for the $. I mean its a diaphragm pump but at 3000psi.
Are you referring to all these HPFP's being a diaphragm pump? I assumed piston driven, but looking at these diagrams It does look like there might be a diaphragm in the top that may do something? Not sure.

these are the best internal diagrams I've ever come across on these types of pumps.

I'm going to be playing with an LT1 HPFP next week, I just ordered it of ebay yesterday. I'll be looking to do a big bore setup similar to LPE, and will be sending it to a guy with a 6th gen ZL1 that's out of fuel. Hopefully while doing this project I can learn something that may be useful to the LTG. I know that this LT1 fuel pump, completely unbolts from the mounting flange... So that's helpful.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote