Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
No such thing as too loud! Mbrp catback and catless headers ftw.
Boom! catless headers are my next purchase to get this setup
marknagy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
On a 6th Gen Camaro, the only straight piece of pipe long enough to install the cut-outs is way in the back, just in front of the muffler. So, it's not nearly as "obnoxious" as you might think. But you're right, typically when the cut-outs are installed right after the headers/manifolds, they can be quite loud.

But see, that's the best part about cut-outs or diverters.....bone stock quiet when you want them quiet, and at the flip of a switch, then you can open them up and get LOUD!!!! I live in a very quiet neighborhood, and when I had my 5th Gen with headers and Stainless Works Cat-Back, they used to joke with me about how I was their alarm clock every morning when I left!!!! Luckily, my neighbors were cool about it. But now, they'll never know I'm leaving because I'll just keep the cut-outs closed around the house!!!
When you get the noweeds installed please make a video. I know I'd want them opened 98% of the time, that's what I meant by my eardrums and my wife will wanna kill me lol! Believe me, I love listening to this exhaust more than the radio
Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #17
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
When you get the noweeds installed please make a video. I know I'd want them opened 98% of the time, that's what I meant by my eardrums and my wife will wanna kill me lol! Believe me, I love listening to this exhaust more than the radio
It will be a long while before I get my NoWeeds.....got some wheels on order now, and getting a few things carbon fiber wrapped soon too, so another $900 is probably gonna have to wait for a while!!! But there are a couple other good threads on the subject....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481237

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477208
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #18
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm planning to do this too! Or I may to catted, not sure yet, think I wanna go with Kooks. Having a cat back on it already, I'm hoping I don't need to slice that up to get it all connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
Boom! catless headers are my next purchase to get this setup
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
SanDMaN2091

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8 NPP
https://youtu.be/IS52NkVMu7Q

Hooker cat back NPP w/Secondary cat delete
CAN be quiet still on snow/ice... good to play ghost if you got to serves my purpose well..
Feel like that will go bye bye with LTs
Attached Images

LPE Ported/Polished 95mm LT5Throttle Body,
PRAY Ported MSD Intake Manifold,
SP Coated TSP 1 7/8" Catlless Longtubes
Hooker BlackHeart Cat-Back,
Mishimoto Catch Can (Which always has some nasty in it)
Instagram@Weapon_6
SanDMaN2091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #20
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
I'm planning to do this too! Or I may to catted, not sure yet, think I wanna go with Kooks. Having a cat back on it already, I'm hoping I don't need to slice that up to get it all connected.
I'm pretty sure you can just bolt it on, but you may want to call Kooks to be sure. My thought is that they are illegal in CA either way so why not go catless and make it real loud
Old 03-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #21
gdgraph

I hope so, I don't want to have to cut my mid pipes in case I ever want to sell them later, I am hoping the cut you'd make on the stock pipe is forward of where my mid pipes sleeve over the stock pipe (just a few inches behind the secondary cats).

I sent Kooks 2 emails with pictures and diagrams from Borla but no response, I hear they don't have the best response times so I'm just in a holding pattern until I get more info from them!

I'd go cat-less if we didn't get emissions inspections every 2 years in my county, you're lucky, they are illegal but they don't test you what every years in CA? Are you going with a test pipe to put cats in for inspection?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can just bolt it on, but you may want to call Kooks to be sure. My thought is that they are illegal in CA either way so why not go catless and make it real loud
Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #22
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
I hope so, I don't want to have to cut my mid pipes in case I ever want to sell them later, I am hoping the cut you'd make on the stock pipe is forward of where my mid pipes sleeve over the stock pipe (just a few inches behind the secondary cats).

I sent Kooks 2 emails with pictures and diagrams from Borla but no response, I hear they don't have the best response times so I'm just in a holding pattern until I get more info from them!

I'd go cat-less if we didn't get emissions inspections every 2 years in my county, you're lucky, they are illegal but they don't test you what every years in CA? Are you going with a test pipe to put cats in for inspection?
I could be wrong but I don think you have to cut anything if you already have a catback. It should just replace your current headers and cats and bolt right up to the exhaust.

For new cars in CA you dont have to get it smogged for 6 years so I figured Id just do it and put the old headers back on if I need to smog it in 6 years haha
Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #23
gdgraph

I thought the catted version had a 2.75" lap joint on the end going to the exhaust that would slide over the stock exhaust mid pipes? My cat back has a lap joint that slides over the stock exhaust so you'd have two "female" lap-joints to but together so I don't think it would work unless the Kooks is short enough where it slides over a few inches of the stock exhaust and then that short piece of stock exhaust remains slid inside of the cat back. If it's two long I'll have to cut the female part of the lap joint on the cat back and then I could never sell it.

You have no idea how lucky you are lol, If we only got smogged every 6 years I would be doing exactly what you are saying!

Quote:
I could be wrong but I don think you have to cut anything if you already have a catback. It should just replace your current headers and cats and bolt right up to the exhaust.

For new cars in CA you dont have to get it smogged for 6 years so I figured Id just do it and put the old headers back on if I need to smog it in 6 years haha
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #24
gdgraph

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about...

So the Borla mid pipes in the first pic have an expanded lap joint on the circled end, that slides over the stock pipe. In the second pic (just the stock exhaust) you can see the green lines that show where I had to cut and slide the Borla mid pipes over the stock pipe.

I'm hoping that the Catted Headers only come down to the end of the secondary cats so I can slide over the new cat over the stock pipe, if it's longer you'll have two expanded lap joints that can't slide over each other.

Quote:

Attached Images

Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #25
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
I thought the catted version had a 2.75" lap joint on the end going to the exhaust that would slide over the stock exhaust mid pipes? My cat back has a lap joint that slides over the stock exhaust so you'd have two "female" lap-joints to but together so I don't think it would work unless the Kooks is short enough where it slides over a few inches of the stock exhaust and then that short piece of stock exhaust remains slid inside of the cat back. If it's two long I'll have to cut the female part of the lap joint on the cat back and then I could never sell it.

You have no idea how lucky you are lol, If we only got smogged every 6 years I would be doing exactly what you are saying!
Its not every 6 years. Its 6 years on new cars and then every 2 years after but still not bad.

Quote:
Here's some pics of what I'm talking about...

So the Borla mid pipes in the first pic have an expanded lap joint on the circled end, that slides over the stock pipe. In the second pic (just the stock exhaust) you can see the green lines that show where I had to cut and slide the Borla mid pipes over the stock pipe.

I'm hoping that the Catted Headers only come down to the end of the secondary cats so I can slide over the new cat over the stock pipe, if it's longer you'll have two expanded lap joints that can't slide over each other.

Hmmmm. I have the full MBRP and Im under the assumption that its bolted on to the stock headers and cats. And the new headers with cats would just bolt straight in. I guess I may need a 2" to 3" connecting pipe then. I guess youd have eto find out if Kooks has the right connector based on the size of your catback.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #26
joeyp85

Drives: 2016 2SS MRC,NPP, A8 hyper blue
Quote:
Its not every 6 years. Its 6 years on new cars and then every 2 years after but still not bad.

Hmmmm. I have the full MBRP and Im under the assumption that its bolted on to the stock headers and cats. And the new headers with cats would just bolt straight in. I guess I may need a 2" to 3" connecting pipe then. I guess youd have eto find out if Kooks has the right connector based on the size of your catback.
I have a guy that I can go to that said he'd get rid of my muffler for 500 and put pipes in. Now if I did do that would that trigger a CEL error?
joeyp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 AM   #27
joeyp85

Drives: 2016 2SS MRC,NPP, A8 hyper blue
Quote:
You can save money by just doing a secondary cat or muffler delete, but what you will find is that it will be louder, and raw sounding. Doing a cat back or axle back from one of the exhaust manufacturers gives you a nice tone in addition to making things louder, that it what you are really paying for, all the R&D that went into creating the right exhaust note while still making it manageable to drive it on a long road trip. If you just want a raw and loud sound then maybe it's not worth buying an aftermarket exhaust. It's just what you prefer, I wanted a more refined sound and something that would quiet down when I was on a long road trip so I went with one of the more expensive set ups but it was well worth it to me.

I have the Borla S Type with mid pipes, it has a good tone, it's loud when you want it to be, and quiet when you are just cruising.

What do you think would be easier and/or the better sounding option? I just want the car to be a little more louder than what it is now.
joeyp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #28
gdgraph

To answer the question you had above, doing a muffler delete should not cause any CEL (as long as it's only a muffler delete and they don't touch the AFM valves).

$500 seems very expensive for a muffler delete and replacement pipe, that shouldn't cost more than $200-300. If you can't get it done for that price I'd look at getting a used axle back since it won't be too much more than $800-$1000 depending on what you get. An axle back will sound better also from an exhaust note perspective, muffler delete will be very raw, which is okay if that's what you are shooting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyp85 View Post
What do you think would be easier and/or the better sounding option? I just want the car to be a little more louder than what it is now.