Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
joeyp85

Drives: 2016 2SS MRC,NPP, A8 hyper blue
Question EXHAUST QUESTIONS

So i have the npp dual mode exhaust for my camaro and it sounds awesome but i want it to be louder. Ive looked at axle backs and some are really expensive. Would removing the muffler make a considerable difference or even deleting the secondary cat? i have a guy that would be able to remove the muffler but id like to hear suggestions.

Thanks guys much appreciated!

joeyp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
What's your budget? Muffler and cat delete are decent options for like $300-400. I spent $800 and got the full MBRP exhaust and IMO is def worth the extra $$$

marknagy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
What's your budget? Muffler and cat delete are decent options for like $300-400. I spent $800 and got the full MBRP exhaust and IMO is def worth the extra $$$

So you still have the primary and secondary cats then?
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
If you have the NPP why not go with the high flow Cats with Kooks headers.... Headers on your car with the secondary cat delete with improve it! And not break your bank....and still have a quite start up. I have the MBRP Cat back and the duel 3" all the way back is amazing. Then Kooks headers are going on when I do a few other mods here shortly....

We just attended the Grand Opening of the newest Kooks Header and Exhaust R&D buildings and marketing in Mooresville NC. Headers & exhaust + everything else were 20% off.

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
So you still have the primary and secondary cats then?
Yup. Nothing from the cats forward has been touched. And it's not disturbing at all to lose the NPP option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6thGen View Post
If you have the NPP why not go with the high flow Cats with Kooks headers.... Headers on your car with the secondary cat delete with improve it! And not break your bank....and still have a quite start up. I have the MBRP Cat back and the duel 3" all the way back is amazing. Then Kooks headers are going on when I do a few other mods here shortly....

We just attended the Grand Opening of the newest Kooks Header and Exhaust R&D buildings and marketing in Mooresville NC. Headers & exhaust + everything else were 20% off.
Agreed! my next mod is catless kooks headers too! The MBRP is amazing but still not loud enough lol
marknagy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You can save money by just doing a secondary cat or muffler delete, but what you will find is that it will be louder, and raw sounding. Doing a cat back or axle back from one of the exhaust manufacturers gives you a nice tone in addition to making things louder, that it what you are really paying for, all the R&D that went into creating the right exhaust note while still making it manageable to drive it on a long road trip. If you just want a raw and loud sound then maybe it's not worth buying an aftermarket exhaust. It's just what you prefer, I wanted a more refined sound and something that would quiet down when I was on a long road trip so I went with one of the more expensive set ups but it was well worth it to me.

I have the Borla S Type with mid pipes, it has a good tone, it's loud when you want it to be, and quiet when you are just cruising.

gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Just get some QTP Aggressor cutouts.....problem solved!!!! http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/500116/index.php

Last edited by blazzin1; 03-06-2017 at 03:52 PM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Just get some QTP Aggressor cutouts.....problem solved!!!! http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/500116/index.php
Wow! I'd love to hear this in person and I love the fact it can be adjusted to partial open or full on riot mode. Do you have this installed? Have you ever heard it in person? And thanks for this info
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
Wow! I'd love to hear this in person and I love the fact it can be adjusted to partial open or full on riot mode. Do you have this installed? Have you ever heard it in person? And thanks for this info
No, I don't have these myself. But I have personally heard them on a 5th Gen Camaro SS, and they sounded really good!!! As for my 6th Gen, I will be installing the NoWeeds Exhaust Diverters. Similar to the QTP's, but instead of just opening another open path for the exhaust, they physically close the exhaust path going back through the muffler, and literally divert (dump) ALL of the exhaust. They sound even better than the QTP's!!!! But they are also about twice as expensive!!!!

https://noweeds.net/collections/chev...on-camaro-2-75
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the afe power headers/exhaust and it sounds awesome! and i have still have full use of the npp exhaust
Old 03-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
If you go with cutouts just remeber to save up for hearing aides in your old age.... LOL

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
No, I don't have these myself. But I have personally heard them on a 5th Gen Camaro SS, and they sounded really good!!! As for my 6th Gen, I will be installing the NoWeeds Exhaust Diverters. Similar to the QTP's, but instead of just opening another open path for the exhaust, they physically close the exhaust path going back through the muffler, and literally divert (dump) ALL of the exhaust. They sound even better than the QTP's!!!! But they are also about twice as expensive!!!!

https://noweeds.net/collections/chev...on-camaro-2-75
Very nice! And thanks for the info again. Just like someone said on here though, I didn't think of the wife in this equation, or my neighbors, or my own eardrums haha. I need to go to a meet or something to see/hear for myself all the different exhausts. It's so hard to tell on utube.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
If you go with cutouts just remeber to save up for hearing aides in your old age.... LOL
On a 6th Gen Camaro, the only straight piece of pipe long enough to install the cut-outs is way in the back, just in front of the muffler. So, it's not nearly as "obnoxious" as you might think. But you're right, typically when the cut-outs are installed right after the headers/manifolds, they can be quite loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
Very nice! And thanks for the info again. Just like someone said on here though, I didn't think of the wife in this equation, or my neighbors, or my own eardrums haha. I need to go to a meet or something to see/hear for myself all the different exhausts. It's so hard to tell on utube.
But see, that's the best part about cut-outs or diverters.....bone stock quiet when you want them quiet, and at the flip of a switch, then you can open them up and get LOUD!!!! I live in a very quiet neighborhood, and when I had my 5th Gen with headers and Stainless Works Cat-Back, they used to joke with me about how I was their alarm clock every morning when I left!!!! Luckily, my neighbors were cool about it. But now, they'll never know I'm leaving because I'll just keep the cut-outs closed around the house!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #14
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
No such thing as too loud! Mbrp catback and catless headers ftw.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote