Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Angry GM doesn’t want us to buy their CAI DON’T BUY IT

Well I was going to buy the GM CAI because it keeps you in ‘warranty’ and includes a ‘tune’ because I’m not ready to tune my car yet for little under 3 more years until warranty expires.

Well right as I was ready to pull the trigger on it, I decided to call around to same myself from encountering a clusterf*ck and sure enough a dozen dealers within 150mi radius have never heard of such a thing!!!! Talked to service and parts at both locations, and left voice message with some head shop techs (which I don’t expect to hear back from).

WHY would GM waste all the time and money and resources on something they don’t even stand behind? They screwed the ones in the beginning they had to pay install and tune fee and still how many months later, no one has an idea of what’s going on.

So guess now I take my money elsewhere and get maybe an AFE one? Which would you guys recommend since the GM one is out.

But then again wait, if guys were getting CEL with the GM one until it was flashed, does that mean I’d most definitely be getting a CEL with these other ones without a tune as well? Thought K&N had a good one?

Not sure about anything now. Thanks GM for standing behind your product.
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
They want to make every greedy buck they can, so they act like they don't know what you are talking about, hoping you will go ahead and pay.

edit: in regards to the tune of the CAI
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
I've had the AFE for 5-6 months now, never had a CEL.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
NY Andrew

EXACTLY!! THANK YOU!!! Even in regards to the CAI they’d probably be like “well we didn’t install it so what if it’s not installed right, we can’t tune it now” some BS they’d make up. DISGUSTING!!!!

Hmmm interesting about the AFE...how come some CAI, even GM’s, cause it to run lean and throw a CEL, and in your case it hasn’t? Ugh
Old 02-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
18 months on the AFE here, never a single CEL....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
NY Andrew, there are several threads on this forum, regarding the availability of the GM CAI. From what I could find, looking up the GM CAI on Chevrolet's website, it lists a select group of dealerships that are listed as Performance dealers. I would be willing to bet that, if you went to one of those dealerships, you would have better luck finding someone that knows more about the CAI, and its availability.

Also, there have been several others on the forum that have posted the part numbers, or links to websites with part numbers that you could give to the dealership, so they can find the correct part.

I get that it's frustrating that every dealership might not have easy access to knowledge regarding any and all parts available for our cars, but a very minimal effort on your part could have probably solved your problem better and faster than it took you to post this rant.

If you would rather throw your money at another company, and risk your warranty, knock yourself out, over something this inconsequential, that is entirely your prerogative.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ntake-84242613

In other news, we ran all kinds of intakes on our cars without a tune. Warranty is always a subjective issue and is dealership dependent, but intakes do not need a tune unless it's going on a boosted car. Some guys with the 5th would run full bolt on before getting a tune to save the warranty (because tuning voids everything). The exception to this is headers, which the V6's don't have anyway, so it's a non-issue.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
The factory "tune" that is part of the intake is literally a 15 minutes top GM TIS2WEB ECM reprogram. If your dealer can program stuff as it is competently, then they can handle a quick ECM flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Dealers barely know about the cars they sell, you expect them to know about a performance part.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
NY Andrew

I called a ‘performance deaer’ (Looked up on GM website before I posted this) and they didn’t know a single thing..

I’ve already done all the research. We shouldn’t be killing ourself for something GM supposedly stands behind!! I shouldn’t be doing THEIR job and putting forth all the effort and still getting screwed. As for using other CAI, they’ve already sold thousands and others haven’t had any issues I’ve seen. This should be boycott until GM makes this smooth for their loyal customers this is embarrassing from a company standpoint.

Hmm never saw it on GM parts, but maybe they can see that part. $30 more than other places I’ve seen but they’ll probably try to install it now and charge for that too..

So all other intakes should be fine then, but what is it that the GM one does so much than the others in order to bring in that much air REQUIRING a tune? That’s good to know though.

Exactly I would think EVERY dealer could easily handle hooking a cable up to a damn OBD part. Wish I got paid to hook up a cable.

I agree with you, but I woulda thought out of half a dozen deleraships the techs or the service advisors/managers would have had ONE case where they’ve been through this process... This is why they get a bad rep.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
NY Andrew

Wonder if GMpartsdirect price matches. Also it doesn’t state anything about the tune...hoping they know to do that and don’t try to charge because it doesn’t say it’s inlcuded..
Old 02-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
Joker75

I'm pretty sure the information regarding the tune is included inside the package, so gmpartsdirect.com may not have information regarding that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
I called a ‘performance deaer’ (Looked up on GM website before I posted this) and they didn’t know a single thing..

I’ve already done all the research. We shouldn’t be killing ourself for something GM supposedly stands behind!! I shouldn’t be doing THEIR job and putting forth all the effort and still getting screwed. As for using other CAI, they’ve already sold thousands and others haven’t had any issues I’ve seen. This should be boycott until GM makes this smooth for their loyal customers this is embarrassing from a company standpoint.

Hmm never saw it on GM parts, but maybe they can see that part. $30 more than other places I’ve seen but they’ll probably try to install it now and charge for that too..

So all other intakes should be fine then, but what is it that the GM one does so much than the others in order to bring in that much air REQUIRING a tune? That’s good to know though.

Exactly I would think EVERY dealer could easily handle hooking a cable up to a damn OBD part. Wish I got paid to hook up a cable.

I agree with you, but I woulda thought out of half a dozen deleraships the techs or the service advisors/managers would have had ONE case where they’ve been through this process... This is why they get a bad rep.
(Bold) It doesn't. It is simply a tune that goes hand in hand with the intake that will also maintain your warranty. "Required" is subjective at best. The Chevrolet Performance link that lists both the SS and V6 GM intakes doesn't even mention a tune, just as one wasn't sold with the Z/28 intake for the SS before. Looking at the thread here for the intake, it says it comes with a calibration code that a GM dealer needs to flash your car with, but it doesn't say that the tune is needed. If I had to guess, it would be for emissions reasons more than anything else.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Joker75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
(Bold) It doesn't. It is simply a tune that goes hand in hand with the intake that will also maintain your warranty. "Required" is subjective at best. The Chevrolet Performance link that lists both the SS and V6 GM intakes doesn't even mention a tune, just as one wasn't sold with the Z/28 intake for the SS before. Looking at the thread here for the intake, it says it comes with a calibration code that a GM dealer needs to flash your car with, but it doesn't say that the tune is needed. If I had to guess, it would be for emissions reasons more than anything else.
There are several threads and posts that document the CEL that shows up after installation of the GM CAI. The general consensus seems to be that the CEL is caused by the additional air being allowed into the engine, being more than the stock tune accepts as within normal parameters.

The tune that GM flashes, fixes this, and should allow the ECU to add the appropriate amount of fuel to compensate for the additional air. If the aftermarket CAI is not affecting the intake as much, it is entirely possible that they won't cause the CEL or need a tune. If this is due to the aftermarket CAI not improving flow as much as the GM CAI, you are not only losing out on hp, but you are risking having problems with powertrain warranty issues.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tags
cold air intake