Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Talking 2016 Camaro RS Resonator & X Pipe Replace with Straight Pipe & Borla Atak

Had the Resonator and X-Pipe professionally removed along with a Midpipe installed in their place straight from the secondary cats. Welded on to cat pipes and Borla Atak. 2.5" straight pipe.

Just thought I'd share because I waited so long on the fence to make this next step underneath after originally just replacing the suitcase muffler with a Borla Atak, but finally pulled the trigger, so I know there's many of you where I was..DO IT!!! Can't help but get a giant smile on my face every time I'm in the vehicle now. Done with exhaust for a couple years until I can delete cats safely...hopefully...

My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak

Last edited by NY Andrew; 01-16-2018 at 09:03 AM.
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #2
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
I have the Borla Atak Axleback as well. How much did the deletes run ya? I was on the fence about buying the X Pipe and Midpipes to increase sound/flow but I wasn't sure about dropping another $700 if there was another way for less.
• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
NY Andrew

They were cheap man nowhere NEAR as much as buyin those and honestly I wouldn’t recommend them. If you do it be sure to lemme hear it, but it was cheap to remove the stuff and get a midpipe. If you ain’t touching cats I’d recommend a straight midpipe because of distance and you want to get the most sound possible (if that’s your goal), also got flow I’d recommend bigger pipes and straight pipe. I can literally feel the difference it’s amazing.

Last edited by NY Andrew; 01-16-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
What does your exhaust look like now? True duals?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
NY Andrew

Borla quad tips. Correction, not straight pipe, MID PIPES that r straight from 2nd cat to Borla. My bad.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Well, no, that's my point. Is it true duals to the mufflers, do you have an X or H crossover... It sounds pretty raspy so I assume it's true dual.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 01-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
NY Andrew

Yes true duals in to mufflers. No x or h. Eliminated that stock trash. Yea figured to get it as loud as possible straight pipe it since I couldn’t remove cats. Plus straight gains a couple more HP and is louder overall. You not a fan of raspiness? Debated the x pipe but it woulda been much quieter prob.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

I had no cats with the dual mode exhaust and it sounded awful because of the rasp and tone, but I didn't realize you had cats so you probably don't get as much as I had. I added the Magnaflow resonated x muffler and it removed maybe 40% of the rasp and made the tone way deeper, sounds great now. The rasp is good, it's part of what makes, say, an SS exhaust kinda scream, just not when it's only rasp. Lol

Also if we're talking theory, you'd lose HP with true duals. You want the scavenging effect of an X pipe. Whether it's the X muffler or a regular X, you still want the exhaust out faster. Mufflers and such are very free flowing now, if you gained anything it was from removing the weight of the stock muffler, not from changing the exhaust itself.

A regular X very well could make it louder
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
NY Andrew

See I don’t want any resonators I’ll take drone over sound deadening personally. As for deeper, I can see that a little from an x pipe, but at the same time you’re compromising sound (or noise) haha it’s sll personal preference I guess at that point.

Hah exactly, if it wasn’t for the Borla then obv it would sound HORRIBLE like those hondas. What’s your take on mine as far as rasp goes? You think it sounds like only rasp? Constructive criticism is welcome hah no hard feelings.

I disagree though, x pipe might only be more free flowing at idle that’s whats its mainly for, because once you floor it, the air is moving to fast to go through the middle of the x, it just goes straight through the pipes.

I’ll have to find the video I watched that’s 20 mins long they do tests on x pipe and h pipe and straight pipe. Straight pipe was louder and gained 2hp over the other two. But again, it really depends on what sound you personally enjoy. Something else to consider is the straight prob sounds louder because every 2 dB over 90 or 100 it like triples how we perceive the sound. (Ok I butchered that last part, but it’s something like that lol).

Interesting though an x prob would be better for my Borla atak.... Csnt find no other comparisons for RS like my setup is to decide so I gotta just try everything on my end hence the YouTube videos I’ve been sharin hah.

You got a video of yours by chance?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

So, as I was reading this I was actually grabbing my headphones so yeah, I can kinda fine tune my ears. Lolol.

The first thing I can say though, is I think the H vs X vs straight comparison you're talking about was done on a 5.3L V8 right? Crossplane V8 is going to have a very different flow compared to our cars. The 60 degree V6 is a very rhythmic in its function. You also now have 2 1.8L 3 cylinders flowing through each 2.5" exhaust pipe instead of a combined effort of both sides of the 3.6L motor, because there is no "straight through the pipes" with an X; each pulse has to switch sides and, more or less on a very simplified scale, it increases the "pull" the exhaust pulses have as it is constantly left, right, left, right. Basically the opposite of a cross plane V8, which is also along the lines of why "tri-Y" headers are so great for LS engines - scavenging. You match certain cylinders together to maximize the exhaust velocity.

You're close on the sound thing. It's every 10db or so effectively doubles the sound we perceive.

The thing about your car is yes, it's raspy, but the key is the sound of your car is going to be very different compared to any other V6 Camaro that isn't 100% straight piped because they will have X or H pipes. The crossover makes a huge difference in sound. As you have it now could very well be maximum volume, I'm honestly not sure with these things. I know a guy that lives near me that has a stupid loud V6 Genesis coupe, and I guess I know what he's running now - true dual straight pipes. Lol. But yes, personal preference. It isn't my cup of tea. I'll shoot you a couple videos in just a second.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
NY Andrew

Hah that’s awesome I do that too.

You’re correct I believe it was either a big block or V8. Wow that was an amazing response. I totally believe everything you just stated. It makes so much sense. So ideally then, a SS should be straight pipe Midpipe and RS should be x pipe or h pipe then? I didn’t realize how our engines work the way they do. I’ll try and pay attention to that next time I’m in it. Really got me curious how mine sounds then doin the whole left, right, left thing.

A whole bunch of variable to the dB test I did, but it’s def clear how much it shot up almost maxing out behind the exhaust once I did what I have to it.

Haha yea that must be what he has. Full straight pipe from the ending to some mufflers would make any car SCREAM. I’ve just always hated the rasp because of annoying punks in their Honda’s, but while I do have a very clear high rasp, it’s also got that aggressive growl mixed in and behind it as well thanks to the Borla’s, without Atak it would sound like trash. I guess a x pipe would make it maybe a little more aggressive growl sounding but prob would be lower dB and quiet and I still wanna maintain some rasp.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
DSX_Camaro

I mean, understand it's a very generalized response with a couple of facts thrown in. The firing order of our engines is 123456, so it's always alternating sides (135 and 246 are the different cylinder banks) but it definitely wants the extra scavenging because we're turning such high rpm. To my understanding the V8s don't really care but ideally they at least want an H pipe to equalize the two sides, but then again they also push enough air to not lose any power bone stock with a 3" exhaust.

Though, like I said, the Magnaflow resonated x (#11386) is what I added to my ZL1 NPP exhaust. It is a muffler so you'll lose some raw sound and some rasp but the tone it gives is so much nicer. I would say run a Magnaflow Tru-X at least to balance the sides, but ultimately the 11386 is always my go to suggestion for anyone, as it was on the C5 forum.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #13
NY Andrew

Interesting good info, thanks bro!! I’ll see how I like this and then maybe in the future modify it with that or wait until I do cat delete years down the road.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
interesting, and dont take offense to this or anything but I kind of like the way it sounded before the deletes.

Did you feel any performance gain however?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla atak, resonator delete, straight pipe, x-pipe delete