Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Exclamation WARNING:High RPM hesitation/surging issue solved. See pictures and check yours!

This has been originally discussed at this thread :

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487290

and then another forum member mentioned here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488500

I ran into the same issue after my second track day. I initially thought that I had bad fuel and since I couldn't reset my ECM (apparently not easy task on these cars), I was under the impression that the ECM cannot recover itself from the bad/low octane map or pulling timing or something (as it did with previous Gen Camaros).

I've scheduled an appointment with my dealer for this Wednesday to do that. It's also a bit hard to replicate the issue on rainy, cold days since it requires a WOT and can only be done (safely) in traffic on 2nd gear.

I was scratching my head because it happened to a 17 Camaro SS owner, a brand new 1LE at the dealer showroom(!), to my 17 1LE and a 17 ZL1 owner. I would understand the SS cars but ZL1 has a completely different motor and a tune of course. Forum member "geaux_tigerss" says that the dealer replaced the camshaft solenoid and ECM but still didn't fix the issue . It turns out that the A/C belt -under high load- was rubbing against the wiring harness right below it, and stripping two wires and causing that surging issue at around 5500 RPM. It didn't reach to a point where it displays a CEL in my experience but he had both CEL and the issue was existent all the time.

I checked mine and as expected I was dealing with the same exact issue. I took some pictures showing how it's stripped. It looks like a manufacturing defect and somehow they didn't pay attention to that clearance between the wiring harness and the A/C belt. I would be surprised if the clearance is different on other cars unless they changed the method of putting the wiring harnesses all together. I would highly advise to check yours and if you don't see any rubbing/stripped wire, consider yourself lucky and simply put a zip tie to make some space between those two (wires and A/C belt above it)

I put the below pieces aside for an easy access:

Notice the two completely stripped wires touching each other in the below picture.. right next to the purple wire:

I used some electrical tape to insulate those two wires (simply pushed some tape with a thin, flathead in between) then wrap around it with another electrical tape and zip tied it with the connector wire so that it would pust it away from the belt and give some space.
Note: Needle nose pliers helps a lot if you have big hands like me

I took it for a quick ride to test it and the hesitation is gone now. Phew! what I relieve ..

Last edited by glamcem; 04-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no pics
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
glamcem

yes, sorry about that. They should be working now
Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
working. i just picked mine up on thursday ill have to check.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
working. i just picked mine up on thursday ill have to check.
congrats on the new car
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
allsteelers

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
This has been originally discussed at this thread :

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487290

I ran into the same issue after my second track day. I initially thought that I had bad fuel and since I couldn't reset my ECM (apparently not easy task on these cars), I was under the impression that the ECM cannot recover itself from the bad/low octane map or pulling timing or something (as it did with previous Gen Camaros).

I've scheduled an appointment with my dealer for this Wednesday to do that. It's also a bit hard to replicate the issue on rainy, cold days since it requires a WOT and can only be done (safely) in traffic on 2nd gear.

I was scratching my head because it happened to a 17 Camaro SS owner, a brand new 1LE at the dealer showroom(!), to my 17 1LE and a 17 ZL1 owner. I would understand the SS cars but ZL1 has a completely different motor and a tune of course. Forum member "geaux_tigerss" says that the dealer replaced the camshaft solenoid and ECM but still didn't fix the issue . It turns out that the A/C belt -under high load- was rubbing against the wiring harness right below it, and stripping two wires and causing that surging issue at around 5500 RPM. It didn't reach to a point where it displays a CEL in my experience but he had both CEL and the issue was existent all the time.

I checked mine and as expected I was dealing with the same exact issue. I took some pictures showing how it's stripped. It looks like a manufacturing defect and somehow they didn't pay attention to that clearance between the wiring harness and the A/C belt. I would be surprised if the clearance is different on other cars unless they changed the method of putting the wiring harnesses all together. I would highly advise to check yours and if you don't see any rubbing/stripped wire, consider yourself lucky and simply put a zip tie to make some space between those two (wires and A/C belt above it)

I put the below pieces aside for an easy access:

Notice the two completely stripped wires touching each other in the below picture.. right next to the purple wire:

I used some electrical tape to insulate those two wires (simply pushed some tape with a thin, flathead in between) then wrap around it with another electrical tape and zip tied it with the connector wire so that it would pust it away from the belt and give some space.

I took it for a quick ride to test it and the hesitation is gone now. Phew! what I relieve ..
Thanks for sharing your experience and the pics. I was the OP for the first thread. Yep, the guy who test drove the 1LE with only 9 miles that experienced this issue. I bought the car anyway and will be checking mine later this week to see if I have the same issue.

Thanks again.
allsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:

I used some electrical tape to insulate those two wires (simply pushed some tape with a thin, flathead in between) then wrap around it with another electrical tape and zip tied it with the connector wire so that it would push it away from the belt and give some space.
First, thank you for this. It will be interesting to see how this is configured across thousands of cars. I certainly don't like the looks of it and will be checking mine.

Now the head-scratcher... so the two wires were stripped with a theoretical intermittent short causing surging, but no CEL. Where does that harness connect and what are the two wires involved?

Very interesting, and thanks again!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I checked mine (Jan. 2016 build) and I have a lot of clearance - at least 2 inches between the wiring harness and the A/C belt. Yeah!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsteelers View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience and the pics. I was the OP for the first thread. Yep, the guy who test drove the 1LE with only 9 miles that experienced this issue. I bought the car anyway and will be checking mine later this week to see if I have the same issue.

Thanks again.
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
First, thank you for this. It will be interesting to see how this is configured across thousands of cars. I certainly don't like the looks of it and will be checking mine.

Now the head-scratcher... so the two wires were stripped with a theoretical intermittent short causing surging, but no CEL. Where does that harness connect and what are the two wires involved?

Very interesting, and thanks again!
Your guess is as good as mine. Since I don't have an engine diagram, I am not exactly sure what it could be called but it attaches to plug on the engine block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I checked mine (Jan. 2016 build) and I have a lot of clearance - at least 2 inches between the wiring harness and the A/C belt. Yeah!
good to know Thanks for the info. As I never heard this on 2016 Camaros, it makes me think that they changed the way they put these wiring harnesses and/or forgot to keep it away from the belt after 2017.

It might as well be limited to certain production dates. Mine was made on Nov-2016 for the reference
Old 04-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
So I checked mine and I can tell you my car does not have a wire loom in that position. Maybe this is a M6 only type setup. So it's not a MY17 issue at least.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
So I checked mine and I can tell you my car does not have a wire loom in that position. Maybe this is a M6 only type setup. So it's not a MY17 issue at least.
Great, do you have enough clearance also?
So far all 4-5 cars that had this issue were 2017 but like you said, it may be only limited to certain production date
Old 04-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
SuperSound

Quote:
Great, do you have enough clearance also?
So far all 4-5 cars that had this issue were 2017 but like you said, it may be only limited to certain production date
Attaching a photo of mine. Not the best since I'm not trying to remove the intake elbow but definitely looks like the wire loom in question is configured differently on my. The pic really doesn't show it but there's a solid 3 inches from the wire loom going to the A/C compressor to the belt.

Mine is a early build MY17 and Auto. So hopefully we can get some other responses to tell if certain build dates or M6/A8 issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 04-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
SuperSound

It looks like from what I can tell with my cheap borescope camera that harness goes from the back of the A/C compressor to the block. So maybe the surging is due to drag from the compressor being cycled from the shorted wires. Could be why it never tripped a CEL.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Attaching a photo of mine. Not the best since I'm not trying to remove the intake elbow but definitely looks like the wire loom in question is configured differently on my. The pic really doesn't show it but there's a solid 3 inches from the wire loom going to the A/C compressor to the belt.

Mine is a early build MY17 and Auto. So hopefully we can get some other responses to tell if certain build dates or M6/A8 issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I didn't take a picture but my harness clearance looks the same. So, to help with year and model info- here are the details for mine:

2016 1SS 6MT Jan. 2016 build date

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote