Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #57
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Finally, My little pony car will now come a car length closer to my tail lights....
Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 AM   #58
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
The LT1 I read makes 458HP/458TQ, GM just says 460 for the Vette and 455 for the Camaro, but they're the same. So this new mustang has essentially the same HP (but working much harder to get it) and a good bit less torque. Basically the only thing going for the new mustang is the 10spd, and the Camaro will have that in a year or two. I'm a manual guy anyway, but I'm not even slightly impressed with this new GT.
Not even slightly impressed? Your car must bore you since the performance should be very close. You probably shouldn't have just settled on a camaro then and opted for something better such as a vette or porsche

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 03:43 AM   #59
BFella

Drives: 16' Supercharged 1SS
Still 35lbs of Torque short with only 5 more HP. I'll still give the advantage to the Camaro. Not to mention we've tested out at 3.9 seconds 0-60? I'll stick with my Camaro, not to mention my supercharger (;

760RWHP Magnuson 1SS
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 AM   #60
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
LT1 tends to be under rated power wise...
...me thinks this new 5.0 will leave a few disappointed when it dynos

Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #61
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Some of you guys seem to think that torque at the engine is all that matters. Do you not realize that it's torque at the rear wheels that really counts? I have not seen the gearing, but don't be surprised if the rear wheel torque of the mustang in first gear when multiplied through the drive-train is actually higher than that of the camaro. Of course, once the car starts rolling, throw the instantaneous torque out the window as it's HP that you really care about.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #62
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
To quote Darth Vader: Impressive... most impressive.

I wonder how much of this capability (not the 10 speed of course, but the Michelin tires, the MRC, etc) will only be available with the performance package? If it is, GM could go with the 3.91 gears in their own 1LE performance package to even up any gains the Mustang gains here - on the 5th gen, I believe those gears contributed to a .3-.4 second gain in the 1LE's 0-60, without a power bump?

The interesting thing I find these days is how little gap there is between the the regular V8 models and the more expensive high performance models. As recently as the previous generation, the Mustang and Camaro's HP versions could expect to have a full second between them and lesser V8s in the 0-60, but these days everything is much more crowded, with the gap between regular and HP having shrunk to half or less of that gap, because to maintain a 1 second gap would mean HP models in the truly elite sub-3 second range. Lots of factors make muscle cars affordably getting there an unlikely prospect, but in the meantime the fact that the entire eight cylinder muscle car market is crowding into what was considered truly elite a couple decades ago makes this quite a time to be alive.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #63
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
The LT1 I read makes 458HP/458TQ, GM just says 460 for the Vette and 455 for the Camaro, but they're the same. So this new mustang has essentially the same HP (but working much harder to get it) and a good bit less torque. Basically the only thing going for the new mustang is the 10spd, and the Camaro will have that in a year or two. I'm a manual guy anyway, but I'm not even slightly impressed with this new GT.
That's gotta be some of the fuzziest armchair logic I've seen in a while. It does not change the fact that the new Mustang is faster to 60 than the Camaro. Pony cars have always been primarily about straight line speed.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #64
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
That's gotta be some of the fuzziest armchair logic I've seen in a while. It does not change the fact that the new Mustang is faster to 60 than the Camaro. Pony cars have always been primarily about straight line speed.
I'd say the new mustang *might* be faster. Magazines were running as fast as 3.9 for the auto SS (C&D) and 4.0 for manual SS (both MT and C&D). We'll need some back to back instrumented tests to confirm which is faster. I notice Ford is not advertising a 1/4 mile tim also, so may not be as favorable as the 0-60 time. We'll see soon. I can't wait for the magazine tests!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #65
YaBoyJordy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Much needed updates for the mustang. Coming from a 2015 GT PP, i can say that the car never performed as well in the real world as it did on paper. The engine, while free revving, just did not make power below 4500. It felt pretty sluggish around town even with a tune. And the handling just didn't inspire confidence. These updates should address a lot of these issues.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #66
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
What is weight differential compared to Camaro, is it lighter?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #67
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Should be a home run for both & wonder if Dodge will counter with their own version.
FCA doesn't even have their own trans development anymore. They buy ZF units under license both FWD and RWD units. ZF has already came out and stated they will not pursue a 10 speed. So FCA is not going to be able to respond in all likelihood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
What is weight differential compared to Camaro, is it lighter?
All indications are the Mustang is still heavier.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #68
68fbjjz109

Drives: 15 GTPP, CUCV Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
FCA doesn't even have their own trans development anymore. They buy ZF units under license both FWD and RWD units. ZF has already came out and stated they will not pursue a 10 speed. So FCA is not going to be able to respond in all likelihood.

All indications are the Mustang is still heavier.
The trans, and, well emissions are the limiting factor for the Demon.

I speculate there might be a little lightweighting, however it is probably negated by content adds.

I would expected the S650 to start shedding more weight when it is on a shared platform.

While some say the Camaro being one a shared platform is a hindrance. Which it might be in some ways as there is always engineering compromises. More volume helps get cost of doing things like aluminum shocktowers, crush cans, cradles, ect more advantageous. All things that the Camaro enjoys over the Mustang for now.

There is a solid 180 delta due to use of aluminum and down downsizing for body structure, cradles, bumpers ans suspension.

While this MCA may even things ups or surpass, with wider lighter wheels, better tires, Mangneride ect.

I think the bigger gap comes when the Mustang starts to loose weight again.

Ford will be much more inclined to sprinkle composites and aluminum at the Mustang when S650 is on D6.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #69
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoyJordy View Post
Much needed updates for the mustang. Coming from a 2015 GT PP, i can say that the car never performed as well in the real world as it did on paper. The engine, while free revving, just did not make power below 4500. It felt pretty sluggish around town even with a tune. And the handling just didn't inspire confidence. These updates should address a lot of these issues.
I agree, I had a 2016 5.0 for about a year. I wasn't impressed - even with a bunch of bolt ons, my 1LE feels faster stock
Instagram - @JBsCars
Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #70
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Available "sometime this fall" puts it a full year behind the Camaro ... and no mention of convertible.

Had the blue oval crew made a sub $100k convertible mustang with >600 HP I would be typing this in their forum. To get that I have to buy a $45+k mustang, ship it to Shelby American and drop another $60k on top and wait a year. Where do I sign?!?!?

not.

Closed Thread