Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I have a friend with a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. He's a Mopar freak, I've driven 600 miles with him to get a car. His '69 Superbee and '70 Dart are next to my '70 Buick in storage right now

His Stealth is cool. But it is old now, complex, has miles of wiring, has a weak trans, and I recall him telling me about how Mitsu was simply not reporting problems with the mechanicals to keep "quality" perceived as high. I also recall him saying "everything is 900 dollars" for that car.

This is also the type of car that needs a 'turbo timer', unless the turbo has been updated.
My wife had a 3000 just before I met her, the tranny went belly up and they told her it wasn't repairable, they would have to put in a new one for $2500, and the we were none in the country so it would be 8 weeks to get one. She couldn't afford it so she sold it as is and ended up with a 98 Sunfire. I don't know if the mechanic was trying to put one over on her or not so he could get her car for a good price but knowing how some mechanics treat women I would not put it past them.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
My wife had a 3000 just before I met her, the tranny went belly up and they told her it wasn't repairable, they would have to put in a new one for $2500, and the we were none in the country so it would be 8 weeks to get one. She couldn't afford it so she sold it as is and ended up with a 98 Sunfire. I don't know if the mechanic was trying to put one over on her or not so he could get her car for a good price but knowing how some mechanics treat women I would not put it past them.
No actually, this sounds familiar: unrepairable trans, need a new one, must import from japan
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
OP.. I was obsessed with the 3000GT VR4 in high school. Did a ton of research on the car and had my mind made up I was going to buy it. Well I didn't buy it but I had learned a lot about the car. The car can make monster hp but the car is heavy and not cheap to fix. In a straight line these are very fast. The stealth and 3000GT were nearly identical and wiring mess, harder to find parts now, and trans is going to make this more expensive to mod. Good luck.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #32
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Back in the day when the VR-4 1st came out, there were many rebuilds on cars with less than 30kmi on the engine and an equal number of tranny failures as well.

that never kept me from dropping the clutch on a few- serious grip.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
As always, cheap, reliable, fast... pick two.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #34
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I've always been a fan of the 3000GT, even almost got a VR4, but found a deal on a Subaru SVX that was too good to pass up. The 3000s don't have a good crash rating. I've read that they tend to fold behind the A-piller, causing the dash to crush the legs of the driver and front passenger.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #35
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I had one for a year. Was a black AWD TT. It broke every week. Sold it off for body parts. You'd be better off with a DSM and that's not saying much. A 1000 dollar car doesnt end up being cheap when it has the potential to suck 5k a year from you. And those cars will. Shit for 600 a month you could lease and insure a new STi probably insured for that too. Factory power, warranty and no worries. Cars like the 3000's are project cars you keep up for passion, not even thinking about a DD.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #36
ewynn9

Drives: IOM 1LT/RS
I had a '95 SL for 4 years and put over 40k on it. I really miss that car, traded it for a Harley 4 months after I got my Camaro. Only things I had to replace were the usual pieces that break or wear down after 100k.

The carfax is very very important. A well maintained 3000GT will last quite awhile.

www.3si.org

That forum has everything you will ever need to know about 3000GT's.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #37
MikeSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
I had one for a year. Was a black AWD TT. It broke every week. Sold it off for body parts. You'd be better off with a DSM and that's not saying much. A 1000 dollar car doesnt end up being cheap when it has the potential to suck 5k a year from you. And those cars will. Shit for 600 a month you could lease and insure a new STi probably insured for that too. Factory power, warranty and no worries. Cars like the 3000's are project cars you keep up for passion, not even thinking about a DD.
Technically the 3000GT/Stealth are DSMs. As are the Eclipse/Talon and were the 4door eagle/dodge. The Conquest/Starion are what lead up to the DSM models, but are not considered DSMs because they were produced before the Diamond-Star Motors office was created by Crysler and Mitsubishi.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #38
Risky guy

Drives: 2012 mitsubishi evolution mr
Your only worries would be if its the turbo model.
3000gt is a n/a model, so you'll be fine.
There are tons of parts for them.
Ran into a guy I know, with the vr4 model.
He's heavily modded with a giant turbo.
He destroyed a supercharged 370z putting down 450whp.

For a g note, your ok just have it checked so no major problems pop up.
Risky guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #39
Risky guy

Drives: 2012 mitsubishi evolution mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Technically the 3000GT/Stealth are DSMs. As are the Eclipse/Talon and were the 4door eagle/dodge. The Conquest/Starion are what lead up to the DSM models, but are not considered DSMs because they were produced before the Diamond-Star Motors office was created by Crysler and Mitsubishi.
Wrong, had a 96 talon tsi awd.
Exact same car as the eclipse gsx.
It was a coupe, they never made a 4 door in that model.
Btw the joint venture was Dsm motor / trans & Chrysler chassis & body.
Just FYI.
Risky guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
MikeSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky guy View Post
Wrong, had a 96 talon tsi awd.
Exact same car as the eclipse gsx.
It was a coupe, they never made a 4 door in that model.
Btw the joint venture was Dsm motor / trans & Chrysler chassis & body.
Just FYI.

LOL. What I meant was that there was a 4 door car that was a shared platform on under the DSM project. Not that the Talon/Eclipes were 4 doors. I had a 91 Eclipes GS-T. I can't remeber what the 4 door was called. They had an Eagle model and a Dodge model. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #41
MikeSVX

Hmm, after checking some research, any of the vehicles built after 1995 shouldn't be referred to as DSM. Mitsu bought their stock back from Crysler and renamed it Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. Though the joint operation continued with Crysler on a contractual bases and even built the early Dodge Stratus and Avenger line.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Hmm, after checking some research, any of the vehicles built after 1995 shouldn't be referred to as DSM. Mitsu bought their stock back from Crysler and renamed it Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. Though the joint operation continued with Crysler on a contractual bases and even built the early Dodge Stratus and Avenger line.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.