Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-13-2023, 07:42 PM   #1
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
C&R/PWR oil cooler install

Hey guys. I decided to install a PWR oil cooler on my car since I do track my car. I went a different route than most people do with it, and wanted to share my results. I can't fully take credit for this as it was my buddy Andrew's idea. The oil cooler was originally designed to replace the auxiliary intercooler for the supercharger on the driver's side of the car. These cars already suffer from heat soak, so deleting one of the intercoolers didn't seem like the right move. The way I have seen it done before, all have utilized the OEM oil cooler and added a sandwich plate to the oil filter to run the lines to the new cooler. We decided to try something different.

Since the OEM oil cooler has engine coolant running through it, The coolant is heated by the oil. We figured if we remove the oil cooler from the engine coolant system, the Auxiliary radiator may not be needed. So we used an Improved racing OEM oil cooler delete plate, and ran the new cooler on the passenger side of the car. It turns out we were right. We have seen no change in engine coolant temperature, and from my testing the engine oil is cooler as well. I haven't had the car back on track since the new cooler, but it looks very promising so far.

I also have a WeaponX boost chiller on my car for street driving and relocated that system to utilize the Auxiliary intercooler in the stock location. I modified the ducting for the aux cooler to be able to run both. While I was at it, I upgraded the center and aux intercooler heat exchangers to help with heat soak.

Here are some pictures from the full setup. It also shows the before and after on the boost chiller location:
Attached Images

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Looks great. I have seen big benefits from separating the oil cooler from the engine coolant circuit on other platforms, so i would anticipate it being beneficial on these cars as well.

I am currently looking at all of the Aux intercooler systems for these cars and trying to decide which to go with. What are your thoughts on the PWR ones? Did you have to make any modifications to any brackets or anything for them to fit? Obviously, you have a custom setup, so fitment may not really be relevant to a more typical installation.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:30 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Member Travis Lambert did something similar on his. He didn't have the interchiller, as you do, but I believe he had an upgraded primary HE, but swapped out the supplementary blower HE for an equivalent-size oil HE.

He didn't note any (not significantly) higher coolant temperatures in the engine OR blower temperatures, but reduced oil temperature by tens, if I recall.

Cool project.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #4
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I don't really understand what you are doing, but I can see you are doing it in a very neat and workmanlike way, and I wanted to comment on that. Well done. Carry on.
Mark R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Very nicely done. Never thought of that option
Should work well on the track, having an M6 will help too
Old 09-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #6
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1...SON View Post
Looks great. I have seen big benefits from separating the oil cooler from the engine coolant circuit on other platforms, so i would anticipate it being beneficial on these cars as well.

I am currently looking at all of the Aux intercooler systems for these cars and trying to decide which to go with. What are your thoughts on the PWR ones? Did you have to make any modifications to any brackets or anything for them to fit? Obviously, you have a custom setup, so fitment may not really be relevant to a more typical installation.
The quality of PWR is incredible, I highly recommend them. No modification required.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #7
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Member Travis Lambert did something similar on his. He didn't have the interchiller, as you do, but I believe he had an upgraded primary HE, but swapped out the supplementary blower HE for an equivalent-size oil HE.

He didn't note any (not significantly) higher coolant temperatures in the engine OR blower temperatures, but reduced oil temperature by tens, if I recall.

Cool project.
Thanks for the reply. There are quite a few people who have done it that way. My friend Andrew and I are the first to do it replacing the auxiliary radiator, to my knowledge. I wanted to post this so people could see a different way and decide what works best for them.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:53 PM   #8
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I don't really understand what you are doing, but I can see you are doing it in a very neat and workmanlike way, and I wanted to comment on that. Well done. Carry on.
Thank you sir! I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Very nicely done. Never thought of that option
Should work well on the track, having an M6 will help too
Hopefully we can get together sometime soon and you can see it in person. I need an MSRH day soon.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:48 PM   #9
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I have a PWR radiator sitting in the box, just been delaying doing the install until it cools down here in Phoenix.

I was originally planning on doing the normal swap of taking the intercooler radiator out of the mix and replacing it with this HE to be an oil cooler, but this is intriguing.

So you have deleted the OEM HE on the passenger side which was part of the engine coolant circuit, correct? And put this PWR radiator in its place to be a standalone oil cooler? If so, this sounds more like what I'm looking for. And for this, all you had to do was fab that aluminum bracket?
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:42 PM   #10
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I have a PWR radiator sitting in the box, just been delaying doing the install until it cools down here in Phoenix.

I was originally planning on doing the normal swap of taking the intercooler radiator out of the mix and replacing it with this HE to be an oil cooler, but this is intriguing.

So you have deleted the OEM HE on the passenger side which was part of the engine coolant circuit, correct? And put this PWR radiator in its place to be a standalone oil cooler? If so, this sounds more like what I'm looking for. And for this, all you had to do was fab that aluminum bracket?
Yes and no. The PWR oil cooler requires no modification or additional brackets with either side, you just have to make your own lines. The bracket that I made was to relocate the chiller system (which is on the drivers side). If all you are doing is the oil cooler, just remove the auxiliary radiator (on passenger side) and install the PWR and run the lines.

Old 09-15-2023, 05:16 AM   #11
iwk2much

Drives: ZLI 1LE; 992 S; GLE 450, Denali HD
Cool idea. How is your oil pressure? Any observations of pressure change at WOT vs stock?
iwk2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Great work! Looking forward to seeing your feedback on pressure and temps!
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Big Gulp + GMS High Flow Crash Bar
DMS Front HX + Fender Tank + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + TOYO 305/345 R888R's = 775rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
Thanks for the reply. There are quite a few people who have done it that way. My friend Andrew and I are the first to do it replacing the auxiliary radiator, to my knowledge. I wanted to post this so people could see a different way and decide what works best for them.
KUDOS for taking the time to share, and I couldn't agree more. The more ideas - the better

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:46 PM   #14
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
Yes and no. The PWR oil cooler requires no modification or additional brackets with either side, you just have to make your own lines. The bracket that I made was to relocate the chiller system (which is on the drivers side). If all you are doing is the oil cooler, just remove the auxiliary radiator (on passenger side) and install the PWR and run the lines.
Ok, thanks. What about the OEM lines you removed from the aux cooler? Can you just connect them to eachother to close that loop?
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote