Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 05-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #113
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
The fact that they have a scheduled maintenance to include walnut blasting should prove that there is substantial build-up that occurs in a DI engine which is why they do it. And before you say, "well GM doesn't do it for the LT4", its certainly not because the LT4 is any better, its because GM maintenance sucks compared to most European companies. There is no question that DI has drawbacks, the LT4 is no different in that regard, being a boosted engine makes it worse than the LT1. I'm not claiming that these vehicles won't go 100K miles without using a catch can, but there there's plenty of data to support that catch cans do prevent a lot of engine efficiency loss over time.
Wrong!

Prove LT1s or LT4s require such maintenance.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #114
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Got any evidence that 2015+ stock LT4s lose power from buildup on intake valves due to the lack of catch cans?

AFAIK, all modern gasoline passenger car ICE vehicle engines sold in the USA are required by law to route the PCV through the intake for emissions controls, and they all do. So since they are all designed by the MFR's design engineers and EPA must approve all design submissions to meet regulatory requirements, by definition they are designed to do so.

ZX-10R, you may wish to familiarize yourself with this:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...selengines.pdf

The PCV system is designed to burn oil vapors but it comes at a cost. I prefer not to do that even though the EPA hates me for it, I use a catch can and breather to prevent any oil burning through the engine if I can help it.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #115
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Wrong! It's 100% designed to burn oil vapor, it's part of the emissions control system. I can't believe you don't get this.

Again, prove that aged LT1 or LT4 engines are losing power. You can't! Hahahaha. There is one test, prolly C&D, where an LT1 gained power though.
Better yet, prove it based on independent data. We all know you’re drinking Elite’s Cool Aid / part of their Catch Can cabal.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #116
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Better yet, prove it based on independent data. We all know you’re drinking Elite’s Cool Aid / part of their Catch Can cabal.
Yes, I have 3 under the hood right now. I run them in series, can't get too much oil vapor out!

---------

If your LT1 or LT4 loses power due to intake valve deposits you're not driving it hard enough and should consider a Malibu with the 1.5T instead.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #117
Z OH 6

Quote:
Wrong!

Prove LT1s or LT4s require such maintenance.
Prove that they don't. You can play dumb all you want, DI engines have well known and documented drawbacks, its an inherent design issue and the LT1 and LT4 are no different. The LT4 is just going to have it worse due to the supercharger.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #118
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Actually, LT4s run cleaner than LT1s.

No, LT1s run cleaner than LS3s.

No, you're all wrong, Ford flatheads beat them all!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

I am surprised this thread made it to 9 pages.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #119
DaveC113

Quote:
Prove that they don't. You can play dumb all you want, DI engines have well known and documented drawbacks, its an inherent design issue and the LT1 and LT4 are no different. The LT4 is just going to have it worse due to the supercharger.
Lol, that's not how proofs work. You can't prove a negative.

And you also wrong that LT1 and LT4 are no different as they don't seem to lose power over time as some OLDER German designs did. The GM V8s have better air/oil separators and the Ow40 ESP oil is a lower volatility oil.

It really sounds like that Mailbu 1.5T would be a better fit for you, it's a really nice car. You won't have as much of an issue getting the intake valve temps up enough to prevent deposits.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #120
Z OH 6

Quote:
Lol, that's not how proofs work. You can't prove a negative.

And you also wrong that LT1 and LT4 are no different as they don't seem to lose power over time as some OLDER German designs did. The GM V8s have better air/oil separators and the Ow40 ESP oil is a lower volatility oil.

It really sounds like that Mailbu 1.5T would be a better fit for you, it's a really nice car. You won't have as much of an issue getting the intake valve temps up enough to prevent deposits.
Really sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. Can't debate with ignorance though and you seem just about as ignorant as they come.. No one is trying to force you to buy a catch can. Do as you wish. Why are you here in this thread if you don't believe in them? My guess is you just enjoy trolling.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #121
DaveC113

Quote:
Really sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. Can't debate with ignorance though and you seem just about as ignorant as they come.. No one is trying to force you to buy a catch can. Do as you wish. Why are you here in this thread if you don't believe in them? My guess is you just enjoy trolling.
No, I enjoy keeping people from buying catch cans if they don't need them.

Also... I am an engineer, I have designed auto parts, I have built several vehicles from the ground up and I have owned an automotive fabrication shop. Still want to compare size?

Lots of folks have more experience than I, but I am absolutely sure you're not one of them.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #122
Z OH 6

Quote:
No, I enjoy keeping people from buying catch cans if they don't need them.

Also... I am an engineer, I have designed auto parts, I have built several vehicles from the ground up and I have owned an automotive fabrication shop. Still want to compare size?

Lots of folks have more experience than I, but I am absolutely sure you're not one of them.

Big talk from an ignorant man, there are lots of educated idiots. I deal with engineers all the time and that title don't mean shit, some are sharp, some obviously cheated their way through college.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #123
DaveC113

Quote:
Big talk from an ignorant man, typical educated idiot though. I deal with engineers all the time that title don't mean shit.
Nice ASSumption. Wrong again though. I've owned an auto fabrication shop and can Tig weld too...

Look, honestly I don't care at all who you are. The issue is catch cans for new cars that are never tracked are a solution for a problem that no longer exists. I don't like seeing misinformation spread, don't want to see people buying ccs who don't need them.

I've made my point, continue on with the cc love.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #124
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Thread needs to be locked.

Closed Thread