#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #15
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZl1 View Post
Before I put the bullet resonators on, I went nuts researching high flow cats. I figured the cats would manage the rasp without robbing too much power and as a byproduct would deal with the smell. I actually bought the vibrant ultra high flo’s, had them in-hand, but was convinced to go with the simple bullets by the shop (I really mean simple, as in they were laying around the shop and they gave them to me. Don’t even know who makes them).

The vibrant cats are impressive. They have an ultra high flo line that can (as they say) handle much higher heat than the “normal” GESI or Kooks green cats. I couldn’t find any examples of them failing like green cats (and trust me I looked). I moved on from that obsession once I put the bullets on and life was good, but would be very interested to know if anyone has ever heard of a Vibrant cat failing?

I started researching this a bit further lasts night, trying to compare Vibrant to the Kooks green cats or at least see if I could find out who makes the cats for Kooks. So far everything I came across on the web and various forums seemed to indicate that the Vibrant Ultra High flow cats were basically the same product as the Kooks Green cats. I must say looking at the CSP Video they even look like my Vibrant cats too as far as the size / dimensions.

I put the Vibrant cats on my car because I was just over the smell completely but ever since going e85 I think I may try going back to the off road pipes.
Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #16
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I started researching this a bit further lasts night, trying to compare Vibrant to the Kooks green cats or at least see if I could find out who makes the cats for Kooks. So far everything I came across on the web and various forums seemed to indicate that the Vibrant Ultra High flow cats were basically the same product as the Kooks Green cats. I must say looking at the CSP Video they even look like my Vibrant cats too as far as the size / dimensions.

I put the Vibrant cats on my car because I was just over the smell completely but ever since going e85 I think I may try going back to the off road pipes.
Both Kooks green cats and Vibrant's hi flow green cats are made by the same company.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
staples87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Fully aware this topic has been discussed to death.

I get the main downside being the 'smell' that permeates from a Catless setup.

That being said, as someone who wants to get headers on a Forced Induction car, what is my choice for reliability?

Our cars being supercharged run extremely hot with up to 2000' in thermal energy expended from the LT4.

From what I understand, these forced induction cars chew through Cats when modified via LT headers, tune etc....

A recent video from CSP showed even the Kooks/GESI Green Cats being annihilated...

I haven't heard a single Catback exhaust system on the ZL1 that brings out the raw, guttaral sounds of our pushrods. My favorite sounds are always those with LT headers.

I am not looking for a massive HP increase. I am quite happy with my 650HP/TQ. My main priority is Sound and not leaving anything on the table.

My average use and expected use is 70% Street / 30% Road Course.

I live in MD which requires emissions testing however via OBD code.

Let's discuss.
I think we're basically neighbors. Do you have the ZL1 1LE in Garnet Red? I've seen you driving around locally.

If you do decide to go catless, the Emissions place in Forest Hill is pretty easy going when it comes to their testing. All my prior vehicles were catless and they passed them without any issue. You just don't want to show up with a check engine light.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #18
Too_Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Fully aware this topic has been discussed to death.

I get the main downside being the 'smell' that permeates from a Catless setup.

That being said, as someone who wants to get headers on a Forced Induction car, what is my choice for reliability?

Our cars being supercharged run extremely hot with up to 2000' in thermal energy expended from the LT4.

From what I understand, these forced induction cars chew through Cats when modified via LT headers, tune etc....

A recent video from CSP showed even the Kooks/GESI Green Cats being annihilated...

I haven't heard a single Catback exhaust system on the ZL1 that brings out the raw, guttaral sounds of our pushrods. My favorite sounds are always those with LT headers.

I am not looking for a massive HP increase. I am quite happy with my 650HP/TQ. My main priority is Sound and not leaving anything on the table.

My average use and expected use is 70% Street / 30% Road Course.

I live in MD which requires emissions testing however via OBD code.

Let's discuss.
With my setup, I was concerned of failure also. They we pretty much pulling and redoing all the exhaust, so I had them leave 2 cats on, but completely gut them ( only outside shell ).
So if during inspection, and they look, the cats are there.
2017 ZL1 White A10 ... Vengeance Racing - custom camshaft, CNC aluminum ported heads, engine internal upgrades, SC pulleys, Rotofab CAI, ported TB, Kooks headers, Corsa Sport exhaust cat back with black tips, Incurve Custom Wheels.
Too_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #19
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
How do you pass inspection with no cats?? Doesn't it show up during smog testing??
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #20
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
How do you pass inspection with no cats?? Doesn't it show up during smog testing??
not every state actually does a sniffer test
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote