Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Instead of removing I would drill holes in it to allow airflow but still keep debri out. Also didn't Vararam say that removing the bottom of the stock airbox was good for about 15hp alone?
Right.

From what I gather, the word is that the bottom of the factory air box leaves room for improvement and removing the bottom is the quick "solution".

If you look at the Camaro GT4.R picture, what is done on that car is a duct is run from the bottom of the airbox (not factory; special carbon fiber box) down to the outlet edge at the outside of the lower grille I boxed in blue. So, P&M/Chevy Performance elected to go to a completely different source of air than factory.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Right.

From what I gather, the word is that the bottom of the factory air box leaves room for improvement and removing the bottom is the quick "solution".

If you look at the Camaro GT4.R picture, what is done on that car is a duct is run from the bottom of the airbox (not factory; special carbon fiber box) down to the outlet edge at the outside of the lower grille I boxed in blue. So, P&M/Chevy Performance elected to go to a completely different source of air than factory.
If I were to remove the "block" does whole front panel need to come off to get access to it? Or can it be accessed with the airbox removed?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
If I were to remove the "block" does whole front panel need to come off to get access to it? Or can it be accessed with the airbox removed?
Don't quote me, but from what I could see when I had the front fascia off, you may be able to get to the cover if you simply remove the plate above the radiator/AC condenser...
Old 02-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #18
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
I have a Roto-Fab & drove home from work (20 min.) in poring rain & in the bottom of the box was a very small pool of water. If removing that I could see anyone driving in rain for a long time the engine is going to be sucking in water. Mine is still there, not about to remove or modify it. I drive mine every day rain or shine.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #19
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
We have designed a "ram air" piece that fit's in that location. We will be releasing it soon.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
kmccall1978

Drives: 1ss 1le redline
Please so so quickly
kmccall1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
I have a Roto-Fab & drove home from work (20 min.) in poring rain & in the bottom of the box was a very small pool of water. If removing that I could see anyone driving in rain for a long time the engine is going to be sucking in water. Mine is still there, not about to remove or modify it. I drive mine every day rain or shine.
On my Tacoma, I 3D printed a scoop directly from my front grill to the intake box. Living in Florida, where we have monsoons, I've driven it this way for years and never had an issue. Any water that makes it through the filter should atomize well enough to not bother the motor. You would have to partially or fully submerge the intake for this to be a problem. Now, if you were in water deep enough to reach that portion of the intake, well, you were screwed anyway
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
We have designed a "ram air" piece that fit's in that location. We will be releasing it soon.
Interested! Please keep the price reasonable!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #23
Spedee

Drives: SS
I'm very interested also.
Spedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #24
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Very interested as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #25
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Pray, I’m interested in your ram air piece too!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #26
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
On my Tacoma, I 3D printed a scoop directly from my front grill to the intake box. Living in Florida, where we have monsoons, I've driven it this way for years and never had an issue. Any water that makes it through the filter should atomize well enough to not bother the motor. You would have to partially or fully submerge the intake for this to be a problem. Now, if you were in water deep enough to reach that portion of the intake, well, you were screwed anyway
Sucking up some water isn’t a huge deal. Look at alot of the modern high performance cars and the intake systems would seem to allow a lot more water than I could see the Camaro able to direct, even with the cover completely removed.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #27
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Old 03-02-2019, 12:17 AM   #28
Psyhamster

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

Also quite interested. Just ordered my Roto-Fab CAI and might put off installing it if soon is in the not too distant future.
Psyhamster is offline   Reply With Quote