#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #267
jpdaugherty

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post

Dude... that is flying. Congrats- helluva first AMP submission.
Thanks! Think a 28 flat or 27.xx is in the car - a car dumped oil all over the track right before this session. Had to take it easy through 16 throughout the day. Emile ran a 31 in his car!! The lap is awesome
jpdaugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #268
VIRBound

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Track (which config if applicable)= NCCAR (CCW)
Elapsed Time= 1:31.99
Camaro Model = ZL1 1LE
Date= 10/27/18
Tires= Cup2 (305/325)
Mods= Stock
Attached Images

VIRBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #269
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRBound View Post
Track (which config if applicable)= NCCAR (CCW)
Elapsed Time= 1:31.99
Camaro Model = ZL1 1LE
Date= 10/27/18
Tires= Cup2 (305/325)
Mods= Stock
Curious how you feel about the Cup 2’s vs. the SC3R’s that came with the car?
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #270
VIRBound

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
I prefer the stock tires over the Cup 2s in terms of dry performance and cost. The Cup 2s wear a lot slower than stock 3Rs, and have much improved wet traction.

When it's time to buy tires again, I think I'm going to go back to 3Rs or try an R888R.
VIRBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #271
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
I prefer the stock tires over the Cup 2s in terms of dry performance and cost. The Cup 2s wear a lot slower than stock 3Rs, and have much improved wet traction.

When it's time to buy tires again, I think I'm going to go back to 3Rs or try an R888R.
Man, that speaks volumes for the 3R. They make them in a 20” size now In The stock size for the SS 1LE , and I considered getting those for a dedicated track day tire. Thanks!
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #272
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah agreed- performance and cost of the 3R is hard to argue with (though their wear rate is alarmingly fast).

Problem for me, is that they are truely a TRACK tire. They are far from a dual purpose (streetable/usable daily) tire like the Cup 2. The Cup 2 is the best I've found (that fit OEM ZL1 1LE size) from a- pretty damn good at both street and track use.

I like the 2 wheel approach myself- Cup 2's on one set of wheels for street use mostly, with some track (wet mostly). Then have a 2nd set of wheels just for track use with P-Zero Slicks or the OE 3R's.

As for R888R- every person I've talked to who has used the R888R has been pretty disapointed (I'm talking like 6-7 track buddies who all hated them). I'm pretty bummed how much it sounds like the R888R missed the mark.

If I were looking for an alternative to the Cup 2 or 3R, I'd be looking at NT01's (I know Sean doesn't like them, but its still my alltime fav tire), or Pirelli Trofeo R's. Trofeo R's are expensive, but I've heard their grip is terrific and they wear pretty well.

Last edited by Provoste; 10-30-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #273
Provoste

Quote:
Man, that speaks volumes for the 3R. They make them in a 20” size now In The stock size for the SS 1LE , and I considered getting those for a dedicated track day tire. Thanks!
They grip great and their price is reasonable... just expect the replace them often. They wear faster than any track day tire I've ever used.... and I've used a lot of different tires.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #274
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Finally getting around to posting up my lap from the October-Fast event back on 6-7 Oct beat my previous best on VIR Full by almost 3.5 seconds. Pretty happy with my time but want to get down to the 2:06 range (but I'm not as fast as Provoste lol) any tips/pointers are much appreciated!!!

Elapsed Time= 2:08.51
Camaro Model = 17 SS 1LE
Date= 06 Oct 2018
Tires= Stock G3s
Mods= Track alignment, Cat-back Exhaust
Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #275
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
They grip great and their price is reasonable... just expect the replace them often. They wear faster than any track day tire I've ever used.... and I've used a lot of different tires.
Worse than Hoosiers? I was planning to through a set of 3R's on my original 1LE wheels once I corded the stock tires.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #276
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Worse than Hoosiers? I was planning to through a set of 3R's on my original 1LE wheels once I corded the stock tires.
Yes.. though hoosiers generally heat cycle out and don't cord.

3R's don't HC out, they just cord very quickly... some guys out west talk about 7-9 heat cycles is full life.

My first set lasted through a 3 day weekend at VIR (not driven at max pace though for most of that),but cords were showing soon thereafter. I replaced the fonts, then drove to/from NCM (90 miles each way) for a 1 day event, and the fonts had cords showing again right after. Less than 1k street miles and 1 day on track is what the 2nd set of fronts lasted... and no, this wasn't a jacked alignment related wear issue. Alignment was freshened right after VIR. Rears were ready to be replaced at that time too. 3R fronts always seem to cord on the inner shoulder too. Decided I was done w/ 3R's after that.

The OEM SS 1LE tires are a different story, great grip to wear rate.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #277
LJenkins1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Track (which config if applicable)= MSR Cresson 3.1
Elapsed Time= 2:37.02
Camaro Model = '18 1SS 1LE
Date= October 7, 2018
Tires= OEM Goodyear Supercar 3
Mods= Track Alignment
Video: https://youtu.be/xEt-d6A_2v4

My first ever track day. Can't wait to go again.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #278
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Finally getting around to posting up my lap from the October-Fast event back on 6-7 Oct beat my previous best on VIR Full by almost 3.5 seconds. Pretty happy with my time but want to get down to the 2:06 range (but I'm not as fast as Provoste lol) any tips/pointers are much appreciated!!!

Elapsed Time= 2:08.51
Camaro Model = 17 SS 1LE
Date= 06 Oct 2018
Tires= Stock G3s
Mods= Track alignment, Cat-back Exhaust
Wow, great lap PB by 3+ seconds is unreal... really highlights you’re on a fast learning curve! You’re really nailing VIR.

A couple notes- the corner that will drop you 1 full second alone is oak tree. It’s entry & first 1/3 of the corner are where most of the time is. You’re braking a bit too early and too much. Also, think of oak tree as a single apex. Your exit and use of the runoff after oak tree is perfect though!

The other areas that you could just tweak a tad- you could push your braking zones on both straights a bit, especially the back straight and go to gas with a bit more conviction in T1, and in between rollercoaster and hogpen. Awesome pace up the esses! Congrats again.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #279
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Wow, great lap PB by 3+ seconds is unreal... really highlights you’re on a fast learning curve! You’re really nailing VIR.

A couple notes- the corner that will drop you 1 full second alone is oak tree. It’s entry & first 1/3 of the corner are where most of the time is. You’re braking a bit too early and too much. Also, think of oak tree as a single apex. Your exit and use of the runoff after oak tree is perfect though!

The other areas that you could just tweak a tad- you could push your braking zones on both straights a bit, especially the back straight and go to gas with a bit more conviction in T1, and in between rollercoaster and hogpen. Awesome pace up the esses! Congrats again.
First of all thanks a lot for the feedback!!!

My previous PB was from back in May at Hyper Fest which was also my first visit to VIR, I managed a 2:12.7 and that was on my 305/19 square RE71R setup. I had a great instructor for that event who taught me a lot, and I pretty much copied his line as best I could after going for a ride along in his ZL1 1LE.

Oak Tree: I figured it out on day 2 and was pretty much doing exactly what you said, braking later and not as hard for the first part mainly.

The Straights & T1: I agree completely about the later braking after the straights, I guess that more of a building up the nerves to push deeper into the braking zone thing for me. As for turn 1 that seemed to be my Kryptonite all weekend, it was the one corner I don't think I nailed a single time, and I definitely see what you mean about being stronger with the throttle upon exit of T1.

Again thanks for the help!!! And here's a bonus clip for everyone, me almost getting T-boned by a Mustang at Roller Coaster lol

Old 10-31-2018, 05:26 PM   #280
Slate993tt

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1 1LE
Buttonwillow #13CW 1:53.750

Track (which config if applicable)= Buttonwillow #13CW
Elapsed Time=1:53.75
Camaro Model = ZL1 1LE
Date=10-28-18
Tires=Pirelli Challenge
Mods=AWE Cat-Back Exhaust
Attached Images

Slate993tt is offline   Reply With Quote