Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
tiberius183

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Quick question

In the near future, I plan to install a larger TB (to go with my new downpipe and catback exhaust). Is an ECM reset recommended after doing so, or will the ECM automatically adjust accordingly?
tiberius183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #2
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius183 View Post
In the near future, I plan to install a larger TB (to go with my new downpipe and catback exhaust). Is an ECM reset recommended after doing so, or will the ECM automatically adjust accordingly?
I'm sure most will suggest running the car at idle for some amount of time so that the PCM can learn it's new idle
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
rickwelch69

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Turbo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius183 View Post
there is actually a recommended learning procedure. first, never move the throttle blade through it's range of motion while off the car and after installation, start engine, do not touch gas pedal, let idle for 3 minutes then let sit with engine off for 1 minute, repeat 2 more times. that is all you should need to do.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
What rick said is absolutely correct. I didn't do his exact procedure but don't mess with it off the car. It will take some time for the pcm to learn took mine maybe 2 minutes if that.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
These guys are right. Here is the official procedure, and what to do if it does not learn correctly:
Service Bay/On Road Idle Learn Procedure – Performed after the ECM is programmed or replaced
  1. Note: Do NOT perform this procedure if any DTCs are set.
  2. Engine idling for 3 min.
  3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and the scan tool Desired Idle Speed should start to decrease.
  4. Ignition OFF for 60 s.
  5. Start and idle the engine for 3 min.
  6. Verify the engine is idling normally.
    • If the engine idle is not correct
    1. Note: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.
    2. Operate the vehicle at speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
    3. Verify the engine is idling normally.
      • If the engine idle is not correct. Ignition OFF for 60 s, repeat step 5.1.
      • If the engine idle is correct.
    4. Clear any DTCs and return to the diagnostic that referred you here.
    • If the engine idle is correct
  7. Clear any DTCs and return to the diagnostic that referred you here.
OR, If you have a scan tool :
  1. Ignition ON, engine OFF, perform the Idle Learn or Idle Learn Reset in Configuration/Reset or Module Setup.
  2. Engine idling, verify the scan tool Throttle Body Idle Airflow Compensation value is equal 0% and the engine is idling at a normal idle speed.
  3. Clear the DTCs and return to the diagnostic that referred you here.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Agree with above... I've done this pretty much for all the mods I've done regardless. Let Idle for 3 min. off for 1, and repeat. 3 times total. I've usually let idle longer or let sit a few minutes extra in between. Either way I haven't changed a part and immediately revved it or drove it to see what it could do without letting the ecm get use to it first.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
Agree with above... I've done this pretty much for all the mods I've done regardless. Let Idle for 3 min. off for 1, and repeat. 3 times total. I've usually let idle longer or let sit a few minutes extra in between. Either way I haven't changed a part and immediately revved it or drove it to see what it could do without letting the ecm get use to it first.

Literally the only time a quick soft break-in is approved by me lol. After that let it rip.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote