Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #57
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
First a Camaro is not a Vette. No matter how great it never will be. If a Vette was your first passion, you will most likely regret your Camaro purchase somewhere down the road. Not because the Camaro isnt a great car. Because of that little voice in your head. Vettes are sort of a right of passage for many that have been not able to obtain one. Ive seen several people make the Camaro is good enough mistake only to still want a Camaro or end up trading any how. There are some great deals out there on Vettes right now. The Vette is just special ,and the world would be a better place if everyone got to enjoy one at least for a little while.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #58
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackbo View Post
I am leaning toward a 1LE now. Keeping a ZL1 on the table but can't find one close by for less than $60k. Honestly I think I would just get a C7 for that kind of money. Don't want to travel more than a few hours; my time is precious.

All the prices on the dealer websites have went up significantly the last few days. I think some Chevrolet incentives must have just expired. Do you think I will still be able to get a dealer down to at least 10% off without the factory incentives?
Love Chevrolet down here in Columbia currently have a 2SS 1LE, 2SS Hot Wheels Edition, ZL1, and ZL1 1LE if you wanted to check them all out. The prices are pretty high on them, but they will work with you, and they're an excellent dealership as far as customer care is concerned. Ask for David Liptak and tell him Oliver Booth sent you and maybe he can work something out - I'll even come meet you there if you like. Either way, you can see all the options, test drive them, and see what you like best - even if you then buy elsewhere. They also have a used Challenger Hellcat in right now if you wanted to compare something else which is fun.

Hopefully this link will work to grab those I listed:

http://www.lovechevy.com/VehicleSear...ange_max=79984

They're also a modifications friendly dealership, as long as you don't tune. I'm not sure any dealerships are cool with tuning...
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #59
Stroked84

Drives: Nothing fun, currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Run, don't walk away from the A8 - in Corvette or Camaro.

It CANNOT be fixed - severe design and programming flaws.

2019 Camaro SS gets the A10, which is so far, reliable.

C8 debuts in January.

b
Wow, they're really that bad? You're making me reconsider going with the C7 all together.
Stroked84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #60
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked84 View Post
Wow, they're really that bad? You're making me reconsider going with the C7 all together.
There's a question in the 'Ask Al' section concerning the A8, and links to specific discussions. Hopefully, Al & company will be able to provide some insight.

Norm
Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #61
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
First a Camaro is not a Vette. No matter how great it never will be. If a Vette was your first passion, you will most likely regret your Camaro purchase somewhere down the road. Not because the Camaro isnt a great car. Because of that little voice in your head. Vettes are sort of a right of passage for many that have been not able to obtain one. Ive seen several people make the Camaro is good enough mistake only to still want a Camaro or end up trading any how. There are some great deals out there on Vettes right now. The Vette is just special ,and the world would be a better place if everyone got to enjoy one at least for a little while.
I disagree with this 100%, couldn't disagree more. I was in the same situation as the OP, I went and drove many C7s because I've always wanted one, or thought I did. The C7 is just uncomfortable to drive for me, I don't fit in it well no matter how I position the seat (and I tried for an hour when they let me take a Z51 home for the weekend). The 7 speed manual is a PIA to drive imho compared to the M6, and I refuse to own an automatic tranny in a sports car, I'm old school that way. Its just boring to drive for me personally. I also didn't really enjoy how the C7 drove.

I hopped into a convertible M6 2SS just for grins and immediately felt comfortable, I was very surprised at how good the Camaro is compared back to back with the Z51 C7. The car is a blast to drive, has 4 seat belts, same engine as the C7 with just a bit more weight so 90% of the performance, same MRC, same NPP exhaust, etc... I personally have had no issues with any bogging on the M6 either. Given all that, there was absolutely no reason for me to buy the vette so I also saved the $15k and went with the 2SS. The only thing the vette had going for it was better visibility but, since I drive with the top down 90% of the time I have no issues with visibility. In a hard-top that might be different though.

There are definitely members who are very happy with their decision and, like me, haven't regretted it for a second. There are even folks on this board who got rid of the C7 for a 6th gen. Unless the C8 changes some things ergonomically I won't be trading my 6th gen in for one. I'd be more likely to move to a lightly used 911 C4S than a vette at this point but I'll likely have this car for quite a while.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #62
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
The initial depreciation is so bad though. Might as well just light 10k on fire.
The initial depreciation doesn't matter if you are buying a keeper.

Of course, if you're one of the people who gets the willies every year or so when a new color comes out, or keeps switching between a 4x4 and a sports car, then by all means, buy used.

But personally, I wouldn't buy a modified or tuned car, unless maybe I had my own experience with the shop that did the work.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #63
Zackbo

Drives: 14 Ram 1500
Still deciding...

So a local dealership got in a 2015 SS 1LE with 32k miles and a 2013 ZL1 with 6k, yes 6k miles. The 1LE is $29k and the ZL1 is $41k. I like the 1LE, and I figure it can be my 'starter' Camaro and if I really like it I can upgrade in a year or so. Yes, I hate the dash like everyone else, but I can deal with it for now.

Would you guys be afraid of a 1LE with 32k miles?
Zackbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #64
antny

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Quote:
Still deciding...

So a local dealership got in a 2015 SS 1LE with 32k miles and a 2013 ZL1 with 6k, yes 6k miles. The 1LE is $29k and the ZL1 is $41k. I like the 1LE, and I figure it can be my 'starter' Camaro and if I really like it I can upgrade in a year or so. Yes, I hate the dash like everyone else, but I can deal with it for now.

Are you mechanically savvy or have access to a shop that you trust to do a proper inspection of the vehicle? If you do nothing wrong with a little higher mileage vehicle if it comes back ok. I personally hate the 5th gen and a Camaro was never on my radar till the redesign of the 6th gen.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #65
RedDragonSS2.0

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Still deciding...

Can you live with having an OLDer car?? Driving up the the car show and having the older camaro? Lol kind of like when a new phone comes out the old one works but is it what you want?

Rotofab Intake, Borla 60606 Midpipes, Corsa Extreme Axleback
RedDragonSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #66
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Still deciding...

What's going on here? What is it you really want out of a car? Are you just itching for something new? You're all over the map.

Definitely dont go from a C7 corvette to a 5th gen camaro. It's built on the old chassis, not the new alpha chassis and is pretty gross inside. Forget straight line performance, which of course can always be upgraded, you're going to miss out on all the incredible things chevy did with the 6th gen. Abort abort abort.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #67
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Agreed!

Quote:
I am leaning toward a 1LE now. Keeping a ZL1 on the table but can't find one close by for less than $60k. Honestly I think I would just get a C7 for that kind of money. Don't want to travel more than a few hours; my time is precious.

All the prices on the dealer websites have went up significantly the last few days. I think some Chevrolet incentives must have just expired. Do you think I will still be able to get a dealer down to at least 10% off without the factory incentives?
If you're going with the auto SS, I'd wait for the 19' with A10 or go slightly used as the the depreciation is pretty nasty.

If the stock SS power isn't going to be enough, I'd get the 6 gen zl1, if you can swing it.

There have been issues with the A8 and the auto paddle shifts are very slow to respond when shifted manually.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 04-06-2018 at 06:46 PM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #68
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Went from a Vette to a Viper to my recent purchase, '17 SS A8 . It's been the most fun of the three. Normally a manual guy but after driving the A8, I had to have it.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #69
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
I had a C5 and was determined to get a C7, but could not get comfortable in it. Went with a 2SS.

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #70
Zackbo

Drives: 14 Ram 1500
I'm just getting really 'antsy' (that's a southern term) and I'm ready to do something. Even if I take a $5k hit and make a initial mistake (A8 instead of M6) I'm willing to absorb it at this point. Test driving the 2SS last Saturday was a mistake in the fact that I need a fix soon. I know; I sound like a crack addict at this point.

I'm going to test drive a 2016 BMW M4 tomorrow to make sure it doesn't change my direction. $55k, but the wifey thinks it's worth it just to make sure the Camaro is what I really want.
Zackbo is offline   Reply With Quote