#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Question for those that run Daytona

I plan to track Daytona in November, it's a bucket list thing.
Do you run a different alignment for the high oval to reduce chances of smacking the wall?
I've heard/been told that it is a good idea to run less camber to avoid a blowout on the right front.

This is the alignment that I normally use. I can change the caster back to ~ 7.5 (stock), but don't see that as something affecting tire wear.
Also, I target 35-36 psi hot for the tires, do you target higher or lower?

Running the G3 non-R tires, 305/20 square
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Bucket list here as well very interested in what is said.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:26 PM   #3
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I have run Daytona several times. Use the track alignment GM recommends and I have never had an issue. I highly recommend switching the tires side to side after the first day due to the wear on the right side. Your tires will be done after two days.

Attached below is my best time at Daytona in a stock ZLE.

https://youtu.be/Px-tRhjNgKU

Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:02 PM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
Your tires will be done after two days.
Maybe the ZL1 1LE's 100 treadwear Supercar 3R tires will be done but the ZL1's 220 treadwear Supercar 3 should not be. In my SS 1LE I used the same set of Supercar 3 tires at Daytona, Sebring, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Barber, and Road Atlanta where the fronts finally started to cord (total of around 14 track hours and driving between all of those tracks on the street starting at Daytona).

I used my normal track alignment of about -2.8 front camber without any issues and my normal hot target of 34-35psi. I guess the ZL1 will put more strain on the tires with the extra horsepower and extra front weight compared to the SS 1LE.

Enjoy, Daytona is special and remains my favorite track out of over 20 that I have had the privilege of visiting even though it is not the most technically challenging!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yeah but it is Daytona baby!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
h018871
Geoff

Thank you gents, very much appreciated.

I'll absolutely keep an eye on the side to side tire wear/pressures and will bring the tire trailer, so will have some spares. The event is 3 days, Friday evening and both Sat/Sun. Really looking forward to it.

Good lap, I'll use that one to get myself prepared. The goal is to enjoy the banked oval and drive home!
Old 08-12-2023, 09:28 PM   #7
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I plan to track Daytona in November, it's a bucket list thing.
Do you run a different alignment for the high oval to reduce chances of smacking the wall?
I've heard/been told that it is a good idea to run less camber to avoid a blowout on the right front.

This is the alignment that I normally use. I can change the caster back to ~ 7.5 (stock), but don't see that as something affecting tire wear.
Also, I target 35-36 psi hot for the tires, do you target higher or lower?

Running the G3 non-R tires, 305/20 square
Hankook, Michelin, & Pirelli guides (for competition tires) have info regarding places like Daytona. For example, in the Hankook racing tire guide: "For tracks with sections of high-banking, or “rovals”, the camber settings must be significantly reduced because the track’s banking dramatically increases the load on the tires." I've seen anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 less on the RH side and the same to around 0.5 more added to the left. I have not ran Daytona yet but the physics make sense on why I'd change my settings.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:09 PM   #8
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
I have run Daytona. One of the issues most do not take into account is that the track has crushed sea shells mixed into the tarmac. This alone adds to the friction / tire wear factor and tires can get real hot. So watch hot tire pressures. If you are a novice or intermediate driver it won't mean nearly as much.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:29 PM   #9
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
the physics make sense on why I'd change my settings.
I went to Sebring right after Daytona (and then on to more non-roval tracks) on the same trip so I didn't really consider changing my alignment for Daytona.

Track Night has been running Daytona events for years and they don't put any warnings or guidance out that you need to change your camber and I didn't see any tire blowouts during the 2 days I was there.

h018871 you could also email Chin to see what they say about camber.

I ended up with 1psi less air in the right side tires to get the hot pressures even on all 4 corners since their initial hot pressure was a bit higher because of the banking. With 20 minute sessions my tires didn't feel any more greasy than they do at other tracks.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:17 AM   #10
h018871
Geoff

Update

I sent emails to both Chin and Goodyear to get their input, appreciate the common sense cdrptrks.

Jim Pomroy at Chin responded right away, thanks for that! He pointed me their forum
https://www.thechinforum.com/forum/t...om-zotz-racing

If I get a response from Goodyear, I'll add it too.

Thks to RUQWIKR for mentioning this the other day at the track.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2023, 02:46 AM   #11
Lewisracing

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue Metallic
Having run Daytona myself in the past, I ran roughly -2.8 FR, -1.5 RR and -.5 on the LF/LR. That was for 45 minute races and such. But I was on Hoosiers and not street tires. My tire wear looked amazing and grip was great throughout. But I know the compound difference is vast between us.

https://youtu.be/oqtwQ_v4cGM?si=PwqAWjsxrk8bRaWo
NASA ST/TT3 #927

My build thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620013
Lewisracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:34 PM   #12
ZLElvira
Waiting 4 A Point By!

Drives: 2020 ZLE, C8 Z06-Z07 2LT Carbon
Cool

You should run your car as it handles best... make a few laps to stabilize the tire temps & pressures, then pull in on a hot-lap and take the temps across the tires.

Know this... if you come off the banking at 150+mph, you will WISH you had all the front-end grip you can muster to make the entrance to turn-1 and then all the grip you can get in the East Horseshoe. If you take all the camber out, you will suffer hard in the West Horseshoe and then the left, hand entrance to the oval is going to be abrupt. If set-up properly, the high-bank oval loads the chassis by pressing the tires into the track harder in a linear fashion, not a lateral one. What people find on the wear is the sustained speeds while going across the tunnel turn and the Bus-Stop which puts a very high-speed braking into a very rough turn where the curbing is your friend!

In my AMG C63 tuned with DTM Cams and full exhaust, I could pul 181mph on the front straight going into turn-1... unfortunately the braking going through such a small tire limited the potential of this powerful machine.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #13
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Camber helps tire wear mostly with this platform to me. By that I mean road courses. If braking is a big deal from a very high speed entry to a slow corner then less camber might be better so that you have the more contact patch straight on.

COTA is kind of a mix, high speed straights into hairpins along with slower technical sections. You'll cord the inside of your front tire with camber > -3.0 in my experience mainly going from 135-150+ mph to 40mph into the hairpins. < -2.8 the outside cords. So around the factory track camber works pretty well for even wear and good braking +-.

Last edited by wakespeak; 09-09-2023 at 10:02 PM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote