Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Question NPP harness storage? Borla

Finally ordered Borla Atak for my V6 NPP!!!!!!!!!! Been wanting this for way too long couldn't wait any longer, hope it sounds as good as the video..

So I purchased the NON-NPP version (NPP delete), because I'm sick of the rattle from NPP, and honestly never used it, and have the fuse pulled anyway. Sucks I paid so much for it, but I guess maybe it saved me trouble making room for a quad exhaust because it woulda only came with a dual exhaust.

Now it being an NPP-delete, there's a harness underneath the body that they suggest to just zip tie up.. it being an electric component I'd rather not have it exposed to all the elements under there say something was to arise in the future (can think of numerous scenarios).

Does anyone who's done some sort of exhaust install or just in general have any suggestions on how to protect and secure that NPP harness? So Far thinking baggie it and zip tie, but feel like the bag can cause it's own list of problems.. So far planning to attempt it myself after seeing how much a shop charges, because I feel like there's not too much to it, and don't feel like spending more money and trusting them..

Thanks!!
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
The bad thing about zip ties is they get brittle over time and break,theres ones made of aluminum that are made for exhaust wraps maybe give those a shot
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Finally ordered Borla Atak for my V6 NPP!!!!!!!!!! Been wanting this for way too long couldn't wait any longer, hope it sounds as good as the video..

So I purchased the NON-NPP version (NPP delete), because I'm sick of the rattle from NPP, and honestly never used it, and have the fuse pulled anyway. Sucks I paid so much for it, but I guess maybe it saved me trouble making room for a quad exhaust because it woulda only came with a dual exhaust.

Now it being an NPP-delete, there's a harness underneath the body that they suggest to just zip tie up.. it being an electric component I'd rather not have it exposed to all the elements under there say something was to arise in the future (can think of numerous scenarios).

Does anyone who's done some sort of exhaust install or just in general have any suggestions on how to protect and secure that NPP harness? So Far thinking baggie it and zip tie, but feel like the bag can cause it's own list of problems.. So far planning to attempt it myself after seeing how much a shop charges, because I feel like there's not too much to it, and don't feel like spending more money and trusting them..

Thanks!!
Fill up the socket with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2205.../dp/B000AL8VD2
Then wrap the socket up in heavy plastic and tape the shiet out of it with hi quality electrical tape, such as 3M Super 33.
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
NY Andrew

You're right warrior; working for cable company I know that firsthand. Good suggestion for stronger ones I'll see what I can find or use Bowtie's suggestion. Definitely thinking about buying that and taping, just curious of if you're supposed to remove the material if ever connecting it back? Does it even remove or it's fine to leave on and the connector would still connect? Thanks guys really helping!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Bow Tie Affair

Quote:
You're right warrior; working for cable company I know that firsthand. Good suggestion for stronger ones I'll see what I can find or use Bowtie's suggestion. Definitely thinking about buying that and taping, just curious of if you're supposed to remove the material if ever connecting it back? Does it even remove or it's fine to leave on and the connector would still connect? Thanks guys really helping!
Most likely the connector already has grease in it. You would put more so moisture can not get in it once unplugged. If you have to reconnect, just connect it and wipe off the excess. You can get the grease at any auto part store.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
NY Andrew

Good to know! Just trynna figure out what plastic or whatnot to wrap around it. So far ordering the stainless steel zip ties, diametric grease, pretty sure I got electrical tape somewhere, just trynna decide "heavy plastic". Well found electrical moisture sealing tape so that should do it before wrapping super 88 around it and then zip tie it! Thanks so much guys think I'm good now!!!!

Last edited by NY Andrew; 04-25-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
Bow Tie Affair

Quote:
Good to know! Just trynna figure out what plastic or whatnot to wrap around it. So far ordering the stainless steel zip ties, diametric grease, pretty sure I got electrical tape somewhere, just trynna decide "heavy plastic". Well found electrical moisture sealing tape so that should do it before wrapping super 88 around it and then zip tie it! Thanks so much guys think I'm good now!!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Not sure how big the harness is and what kind of money you are looking to spend but you could always buy a direct bury electrical kit. That will allow you to encapsulate the entire harness....if the correct size.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
NY Andrew

Very interesting, but didn't have much luck in the search for that item online.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Very interesting, but didn't have much luck in the search for that item online.
There are all different brands and sizes. If you do a search on Amazon they should come up. Here's one style...

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Splice-T...ial+splice+kit
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
NY Andrew

Oh ok! I've used those before for splicing cable, but never to store a component! I'll check it out thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
NY Andrew

Ended up spraying that grease in the connectors and then used one moisture retaining tape and then another tape to hold it up. Didn't realize how much space is down there and honestly can't see the tape lasting long under there...wish I'd have gone pjz's route but too late now.. Can't see anything bad happening from anything being on the connector anyway. I mean I have the fuse pulled too..

Tags
borla, exhaust, npp