Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 01-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
Ole Rusty

Drives: 2010 Nissan 370Z 'Vert
Nav v. Not

Just curious, is there any difference between the nav and none nav other than just the navigation? It seems to me that I would use the apple CarPlay more than the nav and I'm not sure the extra expense is worth it.

Thanks, mike
Ole Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
No difference as far as I've seen. Not worth it in my opinion, like you I mostly use apple carplay.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Zae757

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS
I don't believe there is a difference between the two. I would say this, the apple car play is what I use from time to time and have no issues. I also use WAZE, and its better than both the apple nav or built in nav. All depends on if you'll really be using nav that much.
Zae757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
The only issue people are having is lack of cell signal. If you never encounter weak cell signal, you can use your phone apps. If you get desolate areas with weak cell reception like I do, the factory Nav is the way to go.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperblue16vert View Post
The only issue people are having is lack of cell signal. If you never encounter weak cell signal, you can use your phone apps. If you get desolate areas with weak cell reception like I do, the factory Nav is the way to go.

Cell signals have no bearing on NAV in cell phones other than downloading the POI's, map and street info. The map can be pre-fetched ahead of time as well if you know the area you are going into has no service.

I have used my phones GPS before where there is no cell service. On Google I just pre-fetch the map for the area and then put favorite stars/pins in spots and then just navigate by hand after that.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
Ole Rusty

Thanks for all the great answers, you've helped make my decision.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Cell signals have no bearing on NAV in cell phones other than downloading the POI's, map and street info. The map can be pre-fetched ahead of time as well if you know the area you are going into has no service.

I have used my phones GPS before where there is no cell service. On Google I just pre-fetch the map for the area and then put favorite stars/pins in spots and then just navigate by hand after that.
Cell phones also use assisted GPS for a more accurate position. That uses the cell towers as well. I've never used one long enough a low signal area to tell you how much it affects the positioning, but it definitely does in a moving vehicle. I would argue that kind of situation is so hard to come by that it should not be anything to worry about.

To the OP, the only thing not mentioned is the better integration of the factory NAV. Currently AA/CarPlay do not display info on the DIC or HUD if equipped. I believe there is a good chance of that info making its way eventually with future updates. Like the assisted GPS issue above, I really don't think it's worth paying for though.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I have driven to the mountains a bunch of times and used Android Auto/Google Maps with my cell phone and have lost connection a few times in the higher elevations. It does come back after a few mins, but it does happen in those real remote areas. If you are in those types of areas a lot, I would say yes to NAV for $495, otherwise not needed and AA with Google Maps is much better than a factory NAV.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
Ole Rusty

Does the factory nav require any monthly charges or yearly updates?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Rusty View Post
Does the factory nav require any monthly charges or yearly updates?
They don't require anything but I think they get out of date over time. GM sells the updates but they are not cheap.

I like the factory NAV because of the simplicity. When the XM is paid up, it puts a traffic overlay on the map too, which I use all the time. I just need to hit the NAV button, not open my phone while I am driving.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet757 View Post
No difference as far as I've seen. Not worth it in my opinion, like you I mostly use apple carplay.
For real.. the Apple Car Play is just as good as navigation system!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I prefer the carplay to oem nav - cleaner interface and easier to search or grab addresses from phone/email etc. For the few times I use nav, I dont mind plugging the phone in. You will lose the oem weather app if you dont get nav. I have no regrets on saving $500
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

Theres multiple free and other cheap Navigation apps that dont use cell phone signals nor wifi. Like Navfree, CoPilot GPS, Sygic to name a few.With offline maps, your phone uses its built-in GPS radio (which works independently of your data plan) to figure out where you are, then simply plots your route on a map that’s stored in your phone’s memory.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I would say yes to NAV for $495...
The fact that it's now $495 instead of $895 tells you which direction this market is going. And I'm not referring specifically to Camaros with that $895, just saying these systems used to be higher priced.
Not worth $495 to me.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote