Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 12-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Short time lurker.. new owner!

Picked up my 2ss coupe today. Very stoked!

I originally wanted a white on red car, but the last perfect one was sold out from under me at Diver Chevrolet (nice folks, I was just too late - anyone on here buy that one last month?!) I looked for several weeks for the perfect car - I basically know the details inside and out of every car in the entire northeast. I ended up at Mirak Chevrolet in Mass. Nice people over there! Special thanks to Jonathan, Mark, Judy and Jim for their help during negotiations - very professional, upfront and courteous people. I r-an across a few scummy dealerships, and walked away from one good deal that smelled bad. I'm glad I did.

The car has the core good stuff: Magnetic suspension, NPP Exhaust and sunroof - missing the red interior and black wheels, but will try and fix that going forward. It also came with metallic paint, which on a rainy cloudy day like today, I couldnt really even tell it was metallic.. Anyway, the car seems perfect so far, and I really enjoyed the long ride home.

Couple random observations of a m3 and c7 owner..

-I was really worried about being able to see out. I traded my e92m3 in on it, and it has great visibility, but I also own a c7, so I was hoping I'd be ok. What I thought would take a week or two to get used to, took a couple hours. I was really happy about this because it was my largest concern.

-My second largest concern - fitting kids in the back is satisfied by putting one kid up front with the seat pushed forward and the other kid behind - that way they both have leg room. If we need to ride as a family, we'll take the wife's car, but if the very rare occasion we all need to fit in, its doable, but certainly not a long distance solution. I'm ok with this sacrifice though because it will be a rare event. Its nice to have the kids out of baby seats and into boosters!

-The other SS I drove didnt have the sunroof. That really opens up the cockpit and makes it feel less claustrophobic. I"m very glad my car is spec'ed with it.

-Anyone who compares this car to a standard GT (even with performance suspension), or a challenger (even with scat), is out of their mind. This car is in another league in every way that matters to a real enthusiast driver. In my research, I drove both of those cars, alone, for an hour and I got a good feel for them cruising and at the limit. The others are muscle cars, the camaro is a sports car. It feels a LOT like my c7 actually, just a bit softer everywhere - suspension, road feel, interactiveness, but comfort is improved, and hey, it has 4 seats! FWIW, I tracked my c5 z06 for years and when I retired from club racing, I was class champion. I dont say this to impress you, just give you perspective on my opinion.

-The seats are comfy, but I wish they adjusted back more and had bolster adjustment. The m3 seats are a lot more adjustable, but less comfortable. The vette seats are too thin at the hamstrings and I find them pretty uncomfortable. My c5z06 seats were much more comfy.

-The heated stering wheel is as good as the lexus and bmw I've owned and the heated seats, although not as good as the above, are a lot better than my c7. It actually makes me wonder if my c7 seats are not working properly. The cooled seats are also superior to the c7.

-The lighted door sill was a nice surprise, I saw that as an accessory and assumed it was extra. I also like playing with the dash lighting color, although I found it a bit bright at night - I didnt see a way to dim them. Is there a way?! I also wish I could choose what colors were used for each driving mode.

-Road noise was bearable - 20% higher than my M3, but lower than my c7. The exhaust on the SS appears to be louder than in my C7 - I cant really hear the exhaust in it. I have NPP on both.

-Stereo is not as good as my M3, but good enough to not complain too much. I might upgrade it down the road if I get bored.

-My car doesnt have NAV, but holy cow, apple car play is awesome. Even if I did have nav, I'd use the car play, so if you're spec'ing a car and have an iphone skip the $500 nav option. VERY happy with carplay, neat stuff and hopefully more apps will come out down the road. I also used the audible player to listen to "Martian" on the way home - made the trip much more bearable!

-The silver wheels look a lot better in person than online. I'd still prefer the black split spoke for sure, but these rims dont photograph well. I think its their sheer size that make them more attractive.

-I've ordered some parts as part of the deal - Sema red hot grille, red knee pads, red stitched matts, lighted black emblem and rear black emblem, and front and rear mudguards. I also ordered a few red dye pens from Amazon to dye the white stitching red. Its a good start! Thanks for everyone's help on here.

I think thats it for now. I'm very sad to have traded in my M3, it was a great car, but after 8 years, it was time for a change. I chose wisely! The camaro has the gadgets and reasonable functionality of my M, and heart and soul of my C7.

Last edited by Sub; 12-08-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Congrats and welcome !

I am a recent new member too with a 1SS vert which is replacing an e93 as well but 328i vert in my case. I am also a former club racer - latest stint in NASA CMC class with a 3rd gen camaro. I have also owned 4 vettes, one that ended up a dedicated road race car.

I have also owned a Miata and a 911 and lots of bmws including a few M3/5's.

And I Completely Agree - the 6th gen is a true sports car and very similar to a vette.
Fantastic cars. I have 2600 miles on mine.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Sub

Nice to meet like-minded souls! I'll give a fun car rundown on my side, this is always amusing. In chronological order:

'88 Jetta GLI (first car!)
Nissan Maxima SE
Golf GTI
Audi TT
350Z
s2000
Maxima SE
C5 z06
Fx35
WRX STI hatchback (POS!)
e92 M3
e46 m3 vert
Z4 3.5i
Lexus es350
C7 z51 (current)
BMW 335i GT (current)
Camaro SS (current)

Bikes:
BMW F650gs
BMW R1150R
Kawasaki Z1000
Triumph Thunderbird SE
Royal Enfield C5
BMW S1000r (current)

Last edited by Sub; 12-09-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
My list is too long to even remember let alone type. So I'll spare you the details !!

More than a dozen bmws tho, 4 vettes and 5 camaros and one 911.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
8675309’SS

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Silver Ice Metallic
Welcome Sub! Congrats! Did you decide on the grille?

My First Camaro! 2017 2SS 6M, Silver Ice Metallic, 20" Low Gloss Black Wheels, Red Fender Hashes, Ground FX, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Black Bowties. Ordered 4-22-16, Picked up 7-16-16.
8675309’SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Great choice, enjoy!
Dont forget to post the mods and upgrades with pix.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #7
Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8675309Maro View Post
Welcome Sub! Congrats! Did you decide on the grille?
Yes its ordered, thanks for your assistance! Im not really loooking forward to taking the front fascia off, but Im sure once parts arrive Ill be psyched to do it and rope my friend in to assist. Ill affix the lighted emblem at the same time, which will make that job easier. Parts should arrive next week.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Beautiful!! Congrats!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
nice
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Congrats! Nice Ride.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Great write up Sub! For sure a nice ride & already have some nice mods planned. Enjoy!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
cryssm

Drives: Car
Beautiful, congrats!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Congrats and welcome! Haven't seen too many BMW transfers and it says a lot coming from a nice E92 M3!

I felt the same compared to a GT
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474179
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
ljc

Drives: 2ss Nightfall Grey
Sub...now it's my turn to congratulate you and say that I'm happy for you. Question: Do you miss the S2000? The turn radius, high rev redline, and fun factor is addictive!!! AP1 or AP2?
ljc is offline   Reply With Quote