Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
pulling the intake manifold requires an honest 15 minutes of work.
Yep a far cry from "tearing down an engine"
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #16
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I have not, I have 3 Hyundai's with GDI engines... My 2012 with 80k miles just got the CRC treatment, seems to run/idle smoother... My 2016 with 25k just got the CRC treatment, wife says it seems "more peppy and makes it up the hill easier"... The most recent is my daughters 2019 with 8k miles... Cleaning went well, after the hour heat soak it started smoking like a bad diesel, after a while the CRC stuff burned out (I'm guessing it dissolved a lot of carbon and was smoking due to the "dirty" CRC stuff burning up... Honestly, it scared the hell out of me because this was my daughters brand new (9 month old) car... It didn't throw a code and after a while no more smoke...) I plan to do all 3 at their next oil changes as well... Overall, for the $12 a can, the stuff gets good reviews and seems safe for the engines and the cats, so I'll keep using it...

That is GREAT to see actual pictures... I have a Mishimoto on my 2SS, but it only has 240 miles on it (can went on at about 60 miles). I'll probably do some CRC every other oil change down the road as a precaution...

I change my oil VERY often (never more than 3k miles and I use full synthetic in all my cars (going to use M1 0W-40 ESP Formula in my 2SS only)... I think oil change frequency is very important to keeping carbon buildup to a minimum... On my 2SS I'm going to do a 500, 1,500 and 5,000 mile oil change (maybe 4,000 just because 4,500 is a weird number and 5,000 is too long in my mind...) I do all my maintenance myself so it is just the cost of the materials... I have about $55k into my 2SS, I"m not going to skimp on an $80 oil change...

Once again, my motto has ALWAYS been "Fluids are cheap, major components are NOT!"...
Obviously agree fully with your motto

But i will also swear that my car goes faster after i wash it! Seriously
Indeed beware placibo effect, as it has been clinically proven to work miracles. And not only in medical field...
That's a fact.

On a serious note, you dont really know why your daughter's car was smoking like a diesel. You can speculate, but a brand new car with 8k...hmmm...

Also, i suspect you are well aware of issues with that manufacturer not standing behind warranty due to lack of, or improper maintenance practices when engines expire. As a matter of fact, our manuals warn against using *any* oil, or gasoline additive. Now this process does exactly that, not only introducing this stuff to the combustion chamber, but also using air intake to accomplish it. And air it aint.

Maybe visit your dealer and ask them what their process entails and what they use? Just to be on a safe side. And just a suggestion, that's all. Cheers!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #17
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
pulling the intake manifold requires an honest 15 minutes of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Obviously agree fully with your motto

But i will also swear that my car goes faster after i wash it! Seriously
Indeed beware placibo effect, as it has been clinically proven to work miracles. And not only in medical field...
That's a fact.

On a serious note, you dont really know why your daughter's car was smoking like a diesel. You can speculate, but a brand new car with 8k...hmmm...

Also, i suspect you are well aware of issues with that manufacturer not standing behind warranty due to lack of, or improper maintenance practices when engines expire. As a matter of fact, our manuals warn against using *any* oil, or gasoline additive. Now this process does exactly that, not only introducing this stuff to the combustion chamber, but also using air intake to accomplish it. And air it aint.

Maybe visit your dealer and ask them what their process entails and what they use? Just to be on a safe side. And just a suggestion, that's all. Cheers!
The Hyundai "Induction Service" is very similar to the CRC product (put into the intake)...

The smoke on the 2019 was white, wasn't black and certainly not blue... And it pinged under load, but that is expected as the CRC reduces the octane of the ignition charge (until it is depleted, all my other cars pinged until it burned out), so I drove it VERY easy (i.e. no pinging) until it burned out... About 15 minutes later, no smoke, no ping even under full load...

Drove about 75 miles or so then changed the oil (was due plus did the service before oil change in case of any oil contamination from the CRC product). The oil looked and smelled "normal", nothing unusual...

Is it perfect??? Who knows, it gets good reviews and appears to be safe... I'll do it earlier than later, plus having a catch can, should reduce buildup dramatically from doing nothing... I hope the LT1 doesn't have significant issues with buildup as I intend to keep this car a very long time... (I tend to keep cars 10+ years)... I'm all about preventative versus reactive maintenance... I try to learn what I can and do what I feel is best, I'd rather spend a little more now than a whole lot more later...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:16 AM   #18
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE HPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Nice to see a RL pic of an SS valve vs some goodness where sourced pix scaring the crap outta ppl.

Good video by that cleaning product manufacturer though. And honest! The guy is up front that quality of oil (and zero doubt change frequencies of same), quality of gasoline and driving habits have a lot to do with gunk. And not only on the valves btw. Use recommended oil and change it frequently, use only top tier gasoline, never shut the engine before it reaches full op temps, etc and everything will be just fine. PS i know, i am repeating myself like a broken record. By cant stand when folks make mountains out of molehills
I drive around 3K miles (5K kms) per year. Looking at the manual, it says to change it once per year if you're driving low kms. Should I do once per year or do it more frequently (twice per year)?

This is my 3rd car... so it only gets driven when it's nice outside.
Boosted_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:46 AM   #19
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ST View Post
I drive around 3K miles (5K kms) per year. Looking at the manual, it says to change it once per year if you're driving low kms. Should I do once per year or do it more frequently (twice per year)?

Fluids are cheap, components are not... Is it worth saving $80 or so on an oil change??? Why not change it...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #20
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Fluids are cheap, components are not...
I could swear I just read that someplace else!

I'm just going with preventative maintenance and not worrying about carbon build up with GDI. I have a combined 260K miles driven (26 K on the Camaro) across 4 GDI vehicles and none of them ever suffered with degraded performance that I can notice. The gas mileage hasn't slipped and the performance never dropped.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #21
Jonnydz

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
117k miles

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527593
Old 02-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #22
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Spend $ on tires and brake pads, catch cans aren’t needed in our cars.
Here is truth.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I would run a CC for insurance and peace of mind, track use or not the oil from the PCV system will eventually coke the valves. I pulled the supercharger off of my wifes 16 Audi SQ5 that is DI and has a very complex PCV system that had 62k miles on it. The coking was pretty bad at that mileage and it ran Castrol German spec oil and filters.

For as easy as the LT1 is to remove the intake manifold and you can get a harbor freight walnut blasting kit for $200, I would go that route if the CRC GDI cleaner doesnt work when used every 6 months.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydz View Post
Looks damn clean to me Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ST View Post

Id never go a full year on the same oil regardless of miles. 6 months max assuming DD duty. Some low mile cars may actually have bigger issues because they sit idle for long periods. Expecially in humid climates. Doing an extra change would be a small price to pay for extra insurance. Imo. Cheers!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #26
csolas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Thank you all for your feedback and great information. I feel much better now and I am loving this beast. Thanks guys!!
csolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #27
KPzypher

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Just install a meth kit. Problem solved.
KPzypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #28
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Anyone know at what point the oil change reminder light comes on on these cars? Thank you
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote