Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #1
NorCalLT1

Drives: SS
Help with an oil leak?

So I noticed oil residue under my car and looking under the car it looks like it's coming from the oil cooler. So I drained the oil to try to tackle this problem. It looked like it was coming from the rubber hose going to the oil cooler. So I took the hose clamp off and I started to unscrew the fitting closest to the oil filter when I noticed a liquid starting to come out that wasn't oil. It almost looked like coolant. I took a picture of what I'm referring to. Does coolant run through this? I thought this was the oil cooler?
Attached Images

NorCalLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:48 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Yes, oil stays in the cooler, coolant runs through those pipes into the cooler. The oil pans are known to leak, check the tightness of the bolts maybe, that's where mine leaked.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:57 PM   #3
NorCalLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Yes, oil stays in the cooler, coolant runs through those pipes into the cooler. The oil pans are known to leak, check the tightness of the bolts maybe, that's where mine leaked.
ok so if theres oil on the rubber hose circled in the picture, that oil must be coming from somewhere else correct?
Old 05-17-2024, 06:36 PM   #4
Baddawg53

I'd say the best approach might be to clean it all really well and then let it run, see where it drips from. Oil can get blown all around and makes it hard to find the source.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:37 PM   #5
beowulf556

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I noticed a slight leak on my oil pan when my car was on the lift. What are the oil pan bolts supposed to be torqued to?
2020 Mercedes A35 AMG (Daily)
beowulf556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:43 PM   #6
NorCalLT1

Well I'm hoping I found my leak. It's hard to see but oil was puddles o. The end of this bolt toward the driver front side of the motor. And driver side is where I noticed the oil. Multiple bolts were loose but not finger tight like some have said. Hopefully this is my issue
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2024, 12:50 AM   #7
Baddawg53

Nice, I had bolts loose on both sides on mine, hopefully you can snug them up and take care of the leak.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:23 PM   #8
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
You still under warranty 5/60k warranty?

Mine had small drops in garage a couple months ago. I took it in and they probably just tightened oil pan bolts that day because they sent me on way after that. They told me they need to order an oil pan and come back in a month. I went back and they put new oil pan in and seals, etc.