Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #1
sandiego74

Drives: 1974 Chevrolet Camaro,
Best Backup Camera? Cheap VS Expensive Options

I’m definitely going to be installing a backup camera first. Never had one until my last car and I would be fine without one, but, man, it’s nice to have. So, from digging around other threads on this site, I’ve found a few solid options, but there is a huge price gap between them and I would like others to chime in as to the pros and cons of both.

1.) Natika backup camera from Amazon ($40). Seems decent with a lot of excellent reviews, but how easy is it to wire into the factory screen and have it work properly? If you have a better, cheap recommendation, please say so.

2.) gen5diy.com has a factory camera kit ($330) that looks promising, though expensive compared to the Amazon choices. I do need to call my local dealerships and see if they can reprogram my existing MyLink and how much that will cost.

3.) MVI has another factory camera kit ($400), however they also send you a preprogrammed head unit along with the camera kit. More work and more money, but it’s all said and done when installed, seemingly…

So, is it worth it to spend 5x as much money for the MVI, or will the cheap Amazon kits work just as well?

Also, I definitely don’t want to change head units just yet. I actually like the factory one and hate losing physical buttons and switches for touchscreen-style buttons as most aftermarket units do.

If you have experience with any of these kits, or a better recommendation, please let me know!
sandiego74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:53 AM   #2
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
if you already have a MyLink then all you have to do is wire in the camera and the reverse switch, check your settings to see if it's there....might be under parking guide?? something like that.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
if you already have a MyLink then all you have to do is wire in the camera and the reverse switch, check your settings to see if it's there....might be under parking guide?? something like that.
Do you mean it’ll work with ANY camera, like the cheap Amazon ones, or only with the factory-style cameras? I’ll check in my settings today.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:49 PM   #4
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Yeah, I don't think it's that easy...but let us know if it is. It's the only option I wish my car came with.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #5
sandiego74

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's that easy...but let us know if it is. It's the only option I wish my car came with.

Agreed. Seems overly complicated from the research I’ve done on it so far. I think I’ll go in an talk to a dealership mechanic and see what they say. They’re usually pretty honest as long as they aren’t the ones behind the cash register.

Last edited by sandiego74; 03-11-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:01 PM   #6
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
This is NOT true. Its dependant also if you have a manual or automatic. If you have an automatic this will not work. If you have a manual you have to pick up the reverse trigger underneath on the side of the transmission.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:49 PM   #7
bottletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
This is NOT true. Its dependant also if you have a manual or automatic. If you have an automatic this will not work. If you have a manual you have to pick up the reverse trigger underneath on the side of the transmission.
so where do u think the signal goes from ur reverse switch?
https://www.gen5diy.com/products/10-...ink-camera-kit
Old 04-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #8
Rainbow1616

Quote:
so where do u think the signal goes from ur reverse switch?
https://www.gen5diy.com/products/10-...ink-camera-kit
Maybe you didn't read it??

"If you already have "GM installed" MyLink, this kit will work but will require custom programming, either thru your dealer or thru us, in order for it to function... Please know that most GM dealers will not program this function into your radio"

You can't just add a camera to an automatic, there is no reverse trigger to put the radio into backup mode. This is can bus controlled hence the custom programming
Old 04-10-2023, 08:49 PM   #9
sandiego74

https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/...ra-system.html

This is the kit I used and the camera works perfectly. Looks OEM and works just as an OEM camera would. I had a shop install it since they only charged me $300. Really happy with it so far.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:32 PM   #10
bottletalk

Quote:

"If you already have "GM installed" MyLink, this kit will work but will require custom programming, either thru your dealer or thru us, in order for it to function... Please know that most GM dealers will not program this function into your radio"

You can't just add a camera to an automatic, there is no reverse trigger to put the radio into backup mode. This is can bus controlled hence the custom programming
maybe u didn't read what I stated when u quoted me saying "this is not true"
Old 04-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #11
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego74 View Post
https://www.emeraldintegrations.com/...ra-system.html

This is the kit I used and the camera works perfectly. Looks OEM and works just as an OEM camera would. I had a shop install it since they only charged me $300. Really happy with it so far.
Did you do the front camera too? I'm curious how it works.

830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:52 PM   #12
bottletalk

Quote:

I finally have some time.
vehicles electrical systems are built just like industrial machinery. every switch is wired a network module and this network depending on importance is either on canbus or gmlan. gmlan is slower and has all the "not so important" devices distributed on it ex: steering wheel controls, sunroof, trunk open, reverse switch, now these signals are read only and can be picked up at any point on the gmlan network. the MyLink is hooked up to this network and so is any aftermarket headunit ex:maestro,pac which is capable and is reading every code being sent on it.
the MyLink unit is written in unsophisticated open source type code and if it had the reverse camera option enabled originally it will work fine when it reads the reverse signal from the gmlan network. if it didn't have the option all it needs is to be enabled, most people don't understand networks or code but most people know somebody that does. now the MyLink code is far from proprietary and can crash with simple known code entered on a title for a file that the MyLink reads(memory stick photos,address book or music) so when the MyLink crashes its basically just like ur home PC when changing a harddrive. change the reverse camera option from a 0 to a 1 and now your MyLink will turn on reverse camera video input when in reverse.
this is not an official step by step procedure I just hate it when someone that hears some info from a friend and uses it as gospel. my original reply with gen5diy link wasn't to be meant as the only product out there just that it can be done by anyone that has access, half a brain and a will....more like read between the lines cuz I didn't have to time to type up a mini essay. lol

ps never proof read, possible errors may exist
Old 04-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #13
Rainbow1616

Quote:
I finally have some time.
vehicles electrical systems are built just like industrial machinery. every switch is wired a network module and this network depending on importance is either on canbus or gmlan. gmlan is slower and has all the "not so important" devices distributed on it ex: steering wheel controls, sunroof, trunk open, reverse switch, now these signals are read only and can be picked up at any point on the gmlan network. the MyLink is hooked up to this network and so is any aftermarket headunit ex:maestro,pac which is capable and is reading every code being sent on it.
the MyLink unit is written in unsophisticated open source type code and if it had the reverse camera option enabled originally it will work fine when it reads the reverse signal from the gmlan network. if it didn't have the option all it needs is to be enabled, most people don't understand networks or code but most people know somebody that does. now the MyLink code is far from proprietary and can crash with simple known code entered on a title for a file that the MyLink reads(memory stick photos,address book or music) so when the MyLink crashes its basically just like ur home PC when changing a harddrive. change the reverse camera option from a 0 to a 1 and now your MyLink will turn on reverse camera video input when in reverse.
this is not an official step by step procedure I just hate it when someone that hears some info from a friend and uses it as gospel. my original reply with gen5diy link wasn't to be meant as the only product out there just that it can be done by anyone that has access, half a brain and a will....more like read between the lines cuz I didn't have to time to type up a mini essay. lol

ps never proof read, possible errors may exist
bla bla bla. The point is you cant just connect a cheap reverse camera or front camera to a 2010 or 2011 auto.
I reprogrammed my own with an arduino with a canbus shield but 99% of the people can't do that.
Any aftermarket solutions come at a price.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:35 PM   #14
Rainbow1616

Quote:
This is what I said its not true, it requires more programming that dealers won't do. Unless you are lucky enough to already have it programmed.

I have 4 cameras on my 2011 and they still work perfect