Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2022, 10:51 PM   #1
BDay33

Drives: '23 2SS 1LE - Rapid Blue
Novice Car Buyer - Need Advice

I've bought a couple of new cars before in my lifetime, but not one where I custom ordered or really was in a situation to get a car that I thought I really wanted.

Looking to get a 2SS 1LE. Love the look of one in Rapid Blue that I've seen in pictures, and want something sporty for my next vehicle (always drove a truck). I was going to wait until next year to get a '24 since supposedly the last model year, but with speculation that '23 might be the end, I'm thinking maybe now is the time.

I've been wanting to test drive one, but it's hard to find one available at a dealer to take for a spin. Long story short, went to a dealer today, had a great customer experience (always a plus). The only car resembling an SS was an RS LT1 with the 6.2L. I drove it, was moderately impressed, but I didn't get that feeling of..'man I gotta have this car." I also saw Rapid Blue for the first time in person and it was on a C8, and it didn't look as appealing to me. Maybe it will look better on a Camaro with the 1LE so it will have the black hood/accents to contrast.

Maybe I felt that was because it wasn't near the exact car I think I want? Or just cold feet in general? I've never purchased a car this expensive before, but feel blessed to be in a position where I can. I just haven't had a car payment or any other debt for a while and it's nice, but thinking about having one again kind of turns me off. I also know life is too short and you can't take money with you.

Has anyone went through this before? If so, I'm curious as to how you handled it and came to a decision. Looking forward to the responses. Thanks!
BDay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:48 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Takes me a few weeks with a car to really figure out what I like or don't like. I can find out real real general things fairly quickly, but test drives are pretty useless apart from just blatant obvious stuff. There is no good solution here IME. You drive it to see if there are any quirks you can't possible live with, but apart from that, it won't tell you how your specific spec will be day to day, unless you can drive that spec...day to day and under hard conditions.

The 1LE is the real deal. It's Godzilla levels of traction, which is what this car needs. The first suspension I've had that I've not thought I had to immediately upgrade. On the track I'm doing competitive against other cars with just PS4S, winning novice category last year. 1LE is a monster. In SS trim, it's a manageable monster, but the rubber and suspension the car deservers.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:24 AM   #3
mRahmani

Drives: ‘23 SS 1LE
Went through a very similar phase for the same car. First new car for me and even after putting in the order I was very iffy about taking it home. Honestly I had about a dozen different people telling me I should buy it, but I credit my wife with convincing me that if we could afford it I shouldn’t feel bad about spending the money.

I didn’t really get excited for it until I saw it in the dealership garage fresh off the truck. There is something different about seeing a car you custom ordered in front of you versus having the idea in your head. I will say the 1LE package is an incredible machine, and while I do plan to track/autocross it I’m having a surprising amount of fun just rolling around town and driving to work.

I would say put in the order and make sure any deposit is refundable. If the car gets there and you don’t love it, you walk. But I think there’s a good chance that when you really see it you’ll want to take it home.
mRahmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:25 AM   #4
22LT1Camaro

Drives: 22 LT1
I think what's relevant, after a test drive, is asking yourself if upgraded interior stuff, summer tires, a track-tuned suspension and a revised bumper will change your opinion of the car? I think this is the question that begs to be asked ...

The rest of the car is going to be the same, so it really depends on what makes the car valuable or exciting to you. It's your car payment, your insurance, your gas and maintenance expense and all that will be hanging over your head as long as you own the car.

Is there anything that the LT1 and 2SS 1LE share in common that you find less than thrilling? Outward visibility? Tall/high hood-line and dash? Overall heft of the car? A trunk opening that is slotted like a piggy bank? A back seat that would make a Chihuahua feel claustrophobic?

There are lots of options if you have this kinda money to spend on a sporty car. Some people are living their dream cruising in a 181 hp Miata, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Question number two - if you test drove the car and felt like it was a car you couldn't live without, would you even question the financial commitment? If so then I'd rethink how money is being spent.

Me? I spend a lot of time in the car and I use that time as a means to satisfy the enjoyment I get from sports cars.
22LT1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:43 AM   #5
pondo

Drives: '23 SS 1LE
I've gone through this so many times with different cars. I had a '18 SS 1LE and on a whim found a '23 SS 1LE in rapid blue that was being delivered to a nearby dealer. I sold the 18' 1LE for a '20 Tesla Model 3 Performance. I picked up the '23 1LE a week ago and currently have the Tesla for sale. It was a tough decision as they are different cars for different purposes but my use for the Tesla isn't a much of a concern as I have a company vehicle to drive for work. I was driving 15k+ miles a year and the Tesla has nearly zero operating cost and $35/1000miles electricity cost and amazing in heavy traffic w/ one pedal driving & autopilot. In the end, EVs feel soulless to me and wanted the last GM produced 6 speed. Additionally, I want to do a few track days and the charging infrastructure at tracks near me is still severely lacking.

The big down sides for the camaro as a daily is the lack of visibility (which you get used to) and I didn't get the 2SS so no blind-spot monitors and such while the Tesla has blindspot cameras to take all the doubt away.

'23 SS 1LE Rapid Blue
18’ SS 1LE Hyper Blue - sold
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
BDay33

Drives: '23 2SS 1LE - Rapid Blue
Really appreciate everyone's input. I slept on it and went back to the dealer this morning. Looked at the Rapid Blue color on the Corvette again and it just popped. I had a totally different feeling than I did yesterday.

Traded in my truck, and went ahead and placed an order for a 2SS 1LE in Rapid Blue. Was told 3 months, but prepared to wait longer if needed. Can't wait for it to arrive!
BDay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDay33 View Post
Really appreciate everyone's input. I slept on it and went back to the dealer this morning. Looked at the Rapid Blue color on the Corvette again and it just popped. I had a totally different feeling than I did yesterday.

Traded in my truck, and went ahead and placed an order for a 2SS 1LE in Rapid Blue. Was told 3 months, but prepared to wait longer if needed. Can't wait for it to arrive!
You'll love this car and the wait will be worth it. An excellent choice, the best handling and performing NA Camaro trim in the 6th generation, including all the electronic goodies on offer.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
22LT1Camaro

Drives: 22 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDay33 View Post

Congrats!
22LT1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
Dark Phoenix

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS Redline
You can’t compare a LT1 or 1SS to a 1LE because they are too different. I had a 1SS Redline with Recaro’s, test drove a 2SS 1LE and the 1LE was a completely different car to me. Sold my 1SS Redline and have a 2SS 1LE on order. The nice thing about ordering a car is you get to make sure it has everything you want in it from the factory, no settling. You do have the wait but guaranteed the wait is always well worth it.