Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-07-2022, 05:16 AM   #1
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
2021 1SS - pro charger or supercharger

What do you guys prefer? Super charger or pro charger? It’s a daily driver and currently has lt2 intake (would have to be replaced w SC) , rotofab cold air, headers and flex fuel tuned for e85. I like how it can be a daily drive and drive close to a stock car when I’m not getting on it.
I’ve popped the hood on a pro charged camaro and it would super loud so kind of leaning towards super charger but not 100% convinced. It’s duty is I do drive it daily and yes I do tend to mash the pedal daily as well and like how it currently drives. That’s partially why I’m leaning towards this instead of heads / cam route.
Currently around 480hp, looking to get closer to 600hp
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:11 AM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZ83 View Post
What do you guys prefer? Super charger or pro charger? It’s a daily driver and currently has lt2 intake (would have to be replaced w SC) , rotofab cold air, headers and flex fuel tuned for e85. I like how it can be a daily drive and drive close to a stock car when I’m not getting on it.
I’ve popped the hood on a pro charged camaro and it would super loud so kind of leaning towards super charger but not 100% convinced. It’s duty is I do drive it daily and yes I do tend to mash the pedal daily as well and like how it currently drives. That’s partially why I’m leaning towards this instead of heads / cam route.
Are you planning on doing any fuel related upgrades?
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
A Procharger is a supercharger…but not all superchargers are Prochargers. I’ve got a positive displacement supercharger (PD) and love it. It gives you the low and midrange torque that a massive engine would have AND the horsepower up top. Take your pick: Magnuson, Whipple, Edelbrock, etc are all great picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Are you planning on doing any fuel related upgrades?
This. You’ll need more fuel if you want to go past 550-575 WHP. LT4 fueling is a relatively cheap and effective upgrade.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:28 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I prefer my Maggie PD supercharger because it behaves almost like a giant NA motor whose extra displacement is switched on and off with the throttle pedal (bypass), and once the car hooks, I have continuous traction and a flat-ish torque curve, with no crazy torque jumps in the middle of the rev range.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
WillyZ83

If my car needs better injectors , pumps then I’ll
Do it for sure. I’m leaning towards the Maggie if I were to head that route
I like the idea of steady power instead of midrange surge
Old 04-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
If my car needs better injectors , pumps then I’ll
Do it for sure. I’m leaning towards the Maggie if I were to head that route
I like the idea of steady power instead of midrange surge
Actually, arpad_m's claim about a crazy torque jump in the middle of the rpm band, obviously aimed at centrifugal blowers, is not true. Truth is, they pull smoothly through the rpm band, and power goes up with rpm, much like on motor, just pulling harder than motor alone did. Yes, I had an ECS/Paxton 1500 blower (centrifugal like a Procharger or Vortech) on an SS with stock motor and stock torque converter, so I'm talking from actual experience driving with a centrifugal supercharger in a Camaro here.

Note, be aware that stock LT1s have an extra sensitivity to supercharging, due to tight gaps on the rings. People have found as tight as .007" gap for the top ring in an LT1, that is very tight for a bore above 4" and having a blower added on. Just mentioning so that your eyes are open if you choose to do this mod to your car.

Your noise concern about the Procharger which you saw could be addressed to some extent by ordering the optional quiet gear set (helical gears). Alternately, the ECS/Paxton 1500 supercharger is pretty quiet, could barely even tell that it was there quite honestly on mine, and that was with the stock exhaust system. With headers, I doubt that you could hear any sound from the 1500 over the exhaust noise.

You DEFINITELY will need to upgrade the fuel system if you want to run an ethanol blend with your flex sensor after a blower install. Stock motor with base blower kit basically maxes out the LT1 fuel system on 93, or even exceeds it in many cases quite honestly, therefore adding more power above base (headers etc) or more ethanol content would only make it worse.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #7
WillyZ83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Actually, arpad_m's claim about a crazy torque jump in the middle of the rpm band, obviously aimed at centrifugal blowers, is not true. Truth is, they pull smoothly through the rpm band, and power goes up with rpm, much like on motor, just pulling harder than motor alone did. Yes, I had an ECS/Paxton 1500 blower (centrifugal like a Procharger or Vortech) on an SS with stock motor and stock torque converter, so I'm talking from actual experience driving with a centrifugal supercharger in a Camaro here.

Note, be aware that stock LT1s have an extra sensitivity to supercharging, due to tight gaps on the rings. People have found as tight as .007" gap for the top ring in an LT1, that is very tight for a bore above 4" and having a blower added on. Just mentioning so that your eyes are open if you choose to do this mod to your car.

Your noise concern about the Procharger which you saw could be addressed to some extent by ordering the optional quiet gear set (helical gears). Alternately, the ECS/Paxton 1500 supercharger is pretty quiet, could barely even tell that it was there quite honestly on mine, and that was with the stock exhaust system. With headers, I doubt that you could hear any sound from the 1500 over the exhaust noise.

You DEFINITELY will need to upgrade the fuel system if you want to run an ethanol blend with your flex sensor after a blower install. Stock motor with base blower kit basically maxes out the LT1 fuel system on 93, or even exceeds it in many cases quite honestly, therefore adding more power above base (headers etc) or more ethanol content would only make it worse.
This was the consensus I've been hearing as well regarding the gaps on rings . Said at least gap the factory rings but since I would be in there, might as well replace cam and pistons. That being said it may be best to start with cam replacement, getting rid of the DOD lifters etc and going that route. Then upgrade the fuel system at the same time. I wasn't aware the stock bottom end can't handle the abuse very well. It's why I ask before jumping in and ordering . I appreciate eveyrone's reply
Old 04-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #8
WillyZ83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
A Procharger is a supercharger…but not all superchargers are Prochargers. I’ve got a positive displacement supercharger (PD) and love it. It gives you the low and midrange torque that a massive engine would have AND the horsepower up top. Take your pick: Magnuson, Whipple, Edelbrock, etc are all great picks.

This. You’ll need more fuel if you want to go past 550-575 WHP. LT4 fueling is a relatively cheap and effective upgrade.
All these ones are on back order at the moment too
Old 04-07-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The tight ring gaps are more problematic when trying to run a high compression engine with boost on 93 octane. If you run Ethanol fuel(E40+) that will pull a lot of heat out of the cylinder and help keep the rings from expanding to the point they butt. I have been running the SBE for 4yrs with boost and it's still going strong. I also have been running E since 2 months after I bought the car back in 2017.

If you spend a little time researching you will see that most SBE LT1 boost failures happen with pump gas. Very few failures on Ethanol. Pump piss gas isn't enough octane for a 11.5:1 engine designed to run NA with boost. Companies released kits claiming you can run 7-8psi around 550whp making it sound like a simple deal to attract buyers...pure marketing BS. I wouldn't waste time even boosting a SBE LT1 on pump gas. Upgrade the fuel system, run some E, or don't even mess with FI. If you are hellbent on pump gas then lower the compression with a GPI drop in rod/piston kit...jm2c
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #10
WillyZ83

I’ve got a flex fuel kit and pretty much fill up on E everytime. I’m doing my research too and that’s why I ask you guys who have been there done that too
Old 04-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #11
WillyZ83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The tight ring gaps are more problematic when trying to run a high compression engine with boost on 93 octane. If you run Ethanol fuel(E40+) that will pull a lot of heat out of the cylinder and help keep the rings from expanding to the point they butt. I have been running the SBE for 4yrs with boost and it's still going strong. I also have been running E since 2 months after I bought the car back in 2017.

If you spend a little time researching you will see that most SBE LT1 boost failures happen with pump gas. Very few failures on Ethanol. Pump piss gas isn't enough octane for a 11.5:1 engine designed to run NA with boost. Companies released kits claiming you can run 7-8psi around 550whp making it sound like a simple deal to attract buyers...pure marketing BS. I wouldn't waste time even boosting a SBE LT1 on pump gas. Upgrade the fuel system, run some E, or don't even mess with FI. If you are hellbent on pump gas then lower the compression with a GPI drop in rod/piston kit...jm2c
What’s SBE sir?
Old 04-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #12
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
What’s SBE sir?
Stock Bottom End
Old 04-07-2022, 05:21 PM   #13
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
True, I never had a centrifugal supercharger on a Camaro, the torque curve heavily depends on the tune as well, and "crazy jump" was indeed not the best choice of words... but if you look at these randomly selected Procharger dyno graphs, torque increases very quickly in the midrange, and IMO traction concerns aren't invalid.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:17 AM   #14
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
True, I never had a centrifugal supercharger on a Camaro, the torque curve heavily depends on the tune as well, and "crazy jump" was indeed not the best choice of words... but if you look at these randomly selected Procharger dyno graphs, torque increases very quickly in the midrange, and IMO traction concerns aren't invalid.
Obviously, the torque comes in at higher rpm on a centri than with a pd, because the boost climbs with rpm on a centri, whereas the pd hits high boost at low rpm. But driving the car, the centri does not actually freak out in middle rpm like you are claiming that it does. As far as your traction concerns, you have it backwards IMO, the pd will actually have more problems in that aspect than the centri, because that high boost at lower rpm of the pd means there is more torque when you are going slow, where it's easier to light the tires up.

Since you like dyno sheets, below will be a screenshot of the ECS/Paxton 1500 base kit on a stock engine, stock exhaust, with no methanol injection, the dyno chart is from their website.
Name:  dyno-ecs-1500.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  63.5 KB
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote