Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-18-2022, 11:49 PM   #1
1LE_Blue

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Aero Dynamics Question

I’ve heard the ‘bathtub’ muffler (stock setup) helps with the underneath aero dynamics..allowing air to pass under the bathtub and out of the rear. Replacing the exhaust with smaller mufflers could in fact increase wind resistance to the rear inside bumper because there’s gaps and traps for air to circulate. Should I be considering an after market rear diffuser? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Going with Corsa Extreme Performance Exhaust.
1LE_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:35 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE_Blue View Post
I’ve heard the ‘bathtub’ muffler (stock setup) helps with the underneath aero dynamics..allowing air to pass under the bathtub and out of the rear. Replacing the exhaust with smaller mufflers could in fact increase wind resistance to the rear inside bumper because there’s gaps and traps for air to circulate. Should I be considering an after market rear diffuser? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The diffuser would be aft of the void from the missing suitcase muffler so really wouldn't help, I would say the aerodynamics of the rear suitcase muffler won't come into play until you are over 100-120 Mph... And probably wouldn't come into significant play until you are over 140 Mph...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:12 AM   #3
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE_Blue View Post

Bathtub muffler?

Aero Dynamics? Is that an aftermarket parts company?

As another poster mentioned, a rear diffuser is well aft of the void left by deleting or shrinking the stock muffler setup (aka suitcase muffler). It won't help with the drag/turbulence/lift created by that void.
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:33 AM   #4
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Just install some jabroc material if you're that worried about areo.......
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:51 AM   #5
4thGenSSGuy

Drives: Camaro
Valid question. Yes. Removing the suitcase muffler will hurt you on the aerodynamics. But to see the hurt truly mess with you-you probably need to be well past 100mph.
4thGenSSGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
1LE_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
The diffuser would be aft of the void from the missing suitcase muffler so really wouldn't help, I would say the aerodynamics of the rear suitcase muffler won't come into play until you are over 100-120 Mph... And probably wouldn't come into significant play until you are over 140 Mph...
Thank you.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
1LE_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Bathtub muffler?

Aero Dynamics? Is that an aftermarket parts company?

As another poster mentioned, a rear diffuser is well aft of the void left by deleting or shrinking the stock muffler setup (aka suitcase muffler). It won't help with the drag/turbulence/lift created by that void.
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
1LE_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Just install some jabroc material if you're that worried about areo.......
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #9
1LE_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenSSGuy View Post
Valid question. Yes. Removing the suitcase muffler will hurt you on the aerodynamics. But to see the hurt truly mess with you-you probably need to be well past 100mph.
Thank you.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Lots of speculation in this thread and no data to back it up.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #11
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Lots of speculation in this thread and no data to back it up.
Been discussed before.....

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...light=Suitcase
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #12
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Yep, I was part of that discussion too. Still no data to support it. I just want to see the data.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Yep, I was part of that discussion too. Still no data to support it. I just want to see the data.
everyone donate up to $2000 and ill head to The University of Ontario and get on their wind tunnel. it has pressure plates too to see the wind and splitter in action.

https://youtu.be/Pgpawejpi6o
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
It is feasible that it could cause an "parachute" situation. Logically that is where pressie builds as the car gets pushed down, right?

If you look under race cars, let's say NASCAR, you don't see an opening like you would on the ZL1 without the suitcase exhaust. Yes those are race cars and not street cars but the law of physics doesn't care.

I don't know how many ZL1s without the stock suitcase actually races the road course regularly and at sustained speeds of over 100 mph.

I don't think anyone will experiment on how much drag this can make with and without the stock suitcase. But in theory, it will cause an issue but how much is beyond my caring since I'm never getting rid of the stock suitcase.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote