Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Carbotech XP 12's after ~7hours 20min

About 7 hours 20 minutes at VIR(3 days), these are the pads. Just posting incase it helps anyone else who is new to gauge their trackdays. The outside pads in both the front wore slighly more on the inner diameter than the outer(Seen in 3rd picture). All other pads wore out very evenly. Total mileage was about 650 Miles

Front

Rear
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I like XP12s, but man, they evaporate quick.

I think Hawk DTC60s last a bit longer and are quiet enough for street use in between track days.

My favorite pad so far has been PFC08. I have not been able to find it for Camaro though.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I like XP12s, but man, they evaporate quick.

I think Hawk DTC60s last a bit longer and are quiet enough for street use in between track days.

My favorite pad so far has been PFC08. I have not been able to find it for Camaro though.
I hear the Hawks are good but I think they wear out fast too. Reason I haven't bought them is I hear they eat up rotors pretty good. Going to stick with the carbotech and see how my rotor holds up.

I don't think the Hawks hold up any better, my only evidence is from this video

He says his brakes failed because they tapered too much and his Hawk Pads didn't last as long as his carbotech.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive been running the hawk dtc60 with motul 660 for almost a year now no problems
Old 03-17-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I hear the Hawks are good but I think they wear out fast too. Reason I haven't bought them is I hear they eat up rotors pretty good. Going to stick with the carbotech and see how my rotor holds up.

I don't think the Hawks hold up any better, my only evidence is from this video

He says his brakes failed because they tapered too much and his Hawk Pads didn't last as long as his carbotech.
Looks like he tried to turn right, and then aborted due to too much entry speed? Did he fade or boil fluid? Or let the pad lining get too thin?

I have used Carbotech and GLOC 8/10/12 pads on my previous Mustang. They work well, but the 12's were literally gone after 3 track days with basically no street miles.

On my M2 I used PFC and absolutely loved them. I lived in Germany at the time and was running 7:5x laps around the 'Ring. Brakes never once gave me any issues at all. 12 days at Spa Francorchamps, Hockenheimring and Nurburgring on those pads, and they still had 40% of the lining left when I sold the car.

I've owned the 1LE for almost a year now, and I have 3 track days on it so far. Used DTC60s all last season, and kept them in. I think I have 60% on the pads still, but with 4k or so street miles in addition to 3 track days. Not one bit of fade ever. I use Castrol SRF.

This was a PB in the Camaro last year. The instructors on slicks in high power cars do 1:24 - 1:25ish here. I was happy with this on 3 year old SC3s.

That said, I think pad life and performance depends a lot on your brake technique. I have my favorites based on my driving style. Doesn't mean someone else would agree to be fair.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 03-17-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:08 PM   #6
Christian1LE

Quote:
Looks like he tried to turn right, and then aborted due to too much entry speed? Did he fade or boil fluid? Or let the pad lining get too thin?

I have used Carbotech and GLOC 8/10/12 pads on my previous Mustang. They work well, but the 12's were literally gone after 3 track days with basically no street miles.

On my M2 I used PFC and absolutely loved them. I lived in Germany at the time and was running 7:5x laps around the 'Ring. Brakes never once gave me any issues at all. 12 days at Spa Francorchamps, Hockenheimring and Nurburgring on those pads, and they still had 40% of the lining left when I sold the car.

I've owned the 1LE for almost a year now, and I have 3 track days on it so far. Used DTC60s all last season, and kept them in. I think I have 60% on the pads still, but with 4k or so street miles in addition to 3 track days. Not one bit of fade ever. I use Castrol SRF.

This was a PB in the Camaro last year. The instructors on slicks in high power cars do 1:24 - 1:25ish here. I was happy with this on 3 year old SC3s.

That said, I think pad life and performance depends a lot on your brake technique. I have my favorites based on my driving style. Doesn't mean someone else would agree to be fair.

From the comments in his youtube videos his Hawk DCT 60 pads basically wore down to 0 in 2 days and one of the pistons mushroomed and basically caused the brakes to shoot brake fluid out of that piston, lost all brakes.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:26 PM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
XP12 is the fastest wearing Carbotech compound. 3 days sounds like par for the course.
DTC60 is a very good pad, used by some super fast drivers right on this forum and beyond. One name that comes to mind right away is Provoste. Go to Fastest Laps and check his pace with stock 1LE as well as his dad's ZLE.
I've seen vids with folks claiming they lost brakes and seen threads discussing such subjects and they are anything but straight forward as far as conclusions. Many ppl do various mods then blame a single, unrelated component. Unless you know the driver personally and they trust you fully to share the whole story, I would treat them with a grain of salt. Because almost always there is an untold portion to a story. Cheers!

PS If there was an issue with DTC60 and 1LE many drivers would end up with issues. But like I said before and Krops chimed in here, haven't heard of any issues in many years on this forum.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 11:41 PM   #8
TrackClub

Another thought: i always - and i mean: always - check my tires, rims and brakes, plus have a peek underneath before each and every run. Frankly, if somebody lets pads get to zero and then cannot slow down from 150, it is all on them (nothing personal towards the driver, as he looked quite good there).
Rule of thumb is, if a pad equal thickness of the backing plate: watch out, as the wear will be accelerated greatly.
And, frankly, I have wore out pads to zero one time. Thankfully it was the rears. Based on a crappy "expert" recommendation regarding a compound choice. Frankly, I didn't even notice, until it was time to drive home Well, that was many moons ago and did I already say I check all major components after every session now? Lol ��
Old 03-18-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Another thought: i always - and i mean: always - check my tires, rims and brakes, plus have a peek underneath before each and every run. Frankly, if somebody lets pads get to zero and then cannot slow down from 150, it is all on them (nothing personal towards the driver, as he looked quite good there).
Rule of thumb is, if a pad equal thickness of the backing plate: watch out, as the wear will be accelerated greatly.
And, frankly, I have wore out pads to zero one time. Thankfully it was the rears. Based on a crappy "expert" recommendation regarding a compound choice. Frankly, I didn't even notice, until it was time to drive home Well, that was many moons ago and did I already say I check all major components after every session now? Lol ��
This. I also made that mistake before. Decided to run the last session of the day on pads which looked to have about 3-4mm of lining. They lasted the session, but once they cooled off they cracked and crumbled. Ended up having to change my front pads at a gas station few miles down the road from the track. It was with XP10s, but like you said, at that point the type of pad doesn’t matter. Backing plates were bent and all. Lesson learned.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:
This. I also made that mistake before. Decided to run the last session of the day on pads which looked to have about 3-4mm of lining. They lasted the session, but once they cooled off they cracked and crumbled. Ended up having to change my front pads at a gas station few miles down the road from the track. It was with XP10s, but like you said, at that point the type of pad doesn’t matter. Backing plates were bent and all. Lesson learned.
Bingo! And ya, like I said at the beginning: there is always more to the story...
Old 03-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
About 7 hours 20 minutes at VIR(3 days), these are the pads. Just posting incase it helps anyone else who is new to gauge their trackdays. The outside pads in both the front wore slighly more on the inner diameter than the outer(Seen in 3rd picture). All other pads wore out very evenly. Total mileage was about 650 Miles
Adam at race consulting agency wants me to use the xp18 or apparently someone left carbotech and opened his own place at G-loc and the R18's are the exact same thing. i ran xp12's on a car that was 1,000lbs lighter, id think the camaro would need a higher heat pad
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:41 PM   #12
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Adam at race consulting agency wants me to use the xp18 or apparently someone left carbotech and opened his own place at G-loc and the R18's are the exact same thing. i ran xp12's on a car that was 1,000lbs lighter, id think the camaro would need a higher heat pad
Yeah maybe I'll try the XP20's next. I don't see the 18's listed on KNS brakes. But I really have nothing negative to say about the XP12's. I never had any brake fade at VIR North running for 1 hour straight. I have had this weird issue twice though where I get no initial bite but the pedal still feels hard. I don't think it's a pad issue, feels like something funny with the ABS but I could be wrong. Only happened in corners where I'm trail braking.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #13
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Yeah maybe I'll try the XP20's next. I don't see the 18's listed on KNS brakes. But I really have nothing negative to say about the XP12's. I never had any brake fade at VIR North running for 1 hour straight. I have had this weird issue twice though where I get no initial bite but the pedal still feels hard. I don't think it's a pad issue, feels like something funny with the ABS but I could be wrong. Only happened in corners where I'm trail braking.
thats good to know! my only issue with the 18's is street driving. the 12 goes go from 173º to 1860º, the 18 is 610º to 2100º. i cant see the 18 stopping to well on the street. i had zero issues with the 12. if anything i liked it more hearing me stop a mile away haha.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:27 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
With 1000 extra lb you will get extra heat and that's not necessarily a good thing Maybe you meant higher torgue?
But, that almost always translated to higher heat anyway. Watch for sticking pistons and other caliper issues. Cheers!

PS Hard pedal and no action may mean the pad is too much for a tire and engages ABS. Or, pad fade.