#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
HI RPM

Drives: 2013 BOSS 302
Previous BOSS Mustang owners here??

Hello

I'm the new guy here. I am hoping to learn as much as I can about the 6th Gen Camaro in general and the 1LE package in particular.

I am an older guy who really enjoys high performance cars.

My last ride was a 2013 Boss Mustang. It wasn't an LS version but did have the Torsen diff/Recaro seat package.

it was the most fun car I ever owned.
Sadly, I sold it 2 years ago. I have been searching for a replacement ever since.

My questions are really for a person who came from a Boss Mustang into Gen 6 1LE.
What are your thoughts?? Is the 1LE as much fun to drive?? More comfortable?? What things do you really like?? What things are not so great??

Reading the reviews (I have read a ton) the 1LE looks to have all the performance numbers matched or beat. I am looking to hear more about the cars character, driving dynamics or just plain fun.

I did drive a 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE on a very short test run a couple years ago.
I do remember liking the transmission/shifter/clutch combo a lot. I didn't have a chance to go for a GOOD drive.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HI RPM; 01-01-2022 at 09:06 AM.
HI RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
HI RPM

Anybody??

Maybe some one who at least spent a fair amount of time in a both a Boss and a 6th Gen 1SS/2SS 1LE that could share their impressions?

A few 1SS 1LEs are in transit to dealers local to me. Being that I am in the northeast, in the winter months, an extended test drive now is pretty much out of the question.
I would hate to put money down on a car with nothing more than blind faith.

Hearing others opinions would go a long ways to help in making a decision/purchase and would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I have "some" time in a Boss 302, not a ton, (all on track) but enough to get a sense of it. The 6th Gen 1LE is a huge step up from that car. The Boss for its time was great and certainly started the new pony wars - it was good, but not great on the track.

- Engine powerbands are opposite..the Boss is all up top and the LT1 is pretty much all below 5k.

- The Boss gets really hot on track and can overherat, the Camaro doesn't.

- The 1LE brakes are much stronger with better feel. (Especially after fluid and pads)

- The transmission is light years better with the Camaro

- The Mustang has better side visibility, but I think the Camaro is better out the front.

- The Mustang might turn in a bit better, stock. (This gets fixed with 19" wheels and a square setup with the Camaro

That's all I can think of for now!

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
HI RPM

khcoaching, thank you for sharing.

Yes, I agree with you that the Boss's power is all up top. Its engine doesn't come alive until above 4,000 rpm.

I also agree that the Camaros transmission/shifter/clutch combination was really good.
That aspect of the car jumped out at me right away.

Unfortunately, my time spent driving the Camaro was extremely short and in a congested area. I dont believe I ever got the car out of 3rd gear.

I do have some experience with the 6 piston Brembo front brakes and 4 piston rears, as I have also previously owned a 2015 SRT 392 Challenger. I thought the brakes were impressive in the Challenger and expect the Camaros braking to be even better given its an easy 400+lbs lighter.

I did come away from the Camaro thinking it was a bit dark inside and had less visibility than my Boss, but I don't remember it being horrible. My Challenger had similar blind spots with its huge C pillars and I adapted just fine.

One thing I noticed (and have since been reminded of again after recently sitting in a 2022 Camaro ) is just how much lower you sit in it. Way lower than in my Challenger and quite a bit lower than my Boss.

Last edited by HI RPM; 12-28-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #5
srajani

Drives: 21 Forester || 17 GTi || 22 2SS 1LE
I don't have experience with the mustang but, highly recommend getting the 2SS package, the rear view mirror with camera seals the deal in terms of any visibility issues. I rarely even need to use the side view mirrors due to the wide angle option in the rear view mirror (camera).
Good luck! You won't be disappointed!
srajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI RPM View Post
Hello

I'm the new guy here. I am hoping to learn as much as I can about the 6th Gen Camaro in general and the 1LE package in particular.

I am an older guy who really enjoys high performance cars.

My last ride was a 2013 Boss Mustang. It wasn't an LS version but did have the Torsen diff/Recaro seat package.

it was the most fun car I ever owned.
Sadly, I sold it 2 years ago. I have been searching for a replacement ever since.

My questions are really for a person who came from a Boss Mustang into Gen 6 1LE.
What are your thoughts?? Is the 1LE as much fun to drive?? More comfortable?? What things do you really like?? What things are not so great??

Reading the reviews (I have read a ton) the 1LE looks to have all the performance numbers matched or beat. I am looking to hear more about the cars character, driving dynamics or just plain fun.

I did drive a 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE on a very short test run a couple years ago.
I do remember liking the transmission/shifter/clutch combo a lot. I didn't have a chance to go for a GOOD drive.

Thanks in advance.
I'm sort of in the same boat as you are, but unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with a Boss Mustang. I have however been looking at a Camaro SS 1LE for several years now. And in my opinion there is no better bang for the buck than the SS 1LE in terms of performance cars. I almost bought one in 2019, but instead ended up purchasing a new SUV.

I currently own a 2003 Nissan 350Z that is highly modified (and the best handling car I've ever owned) and a 2009 BMW 135i that is also modded and has a tune. I've also owned a C6 Z51 Corvette and a 370Z in the last 15 years. I've held on to the BMW because I really hadn't found another car that I felt was significantly more fun to drive than the BMW that didn't cost a fortune. But every time I looked at something new I kept coming back to the SS 1LE. So a couple of weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on a 22 SS 1LE. I'm going to miss the BMW, but I can't wait for the new 1LE.
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I have "some" time in a Boss 302, not a ton, (all on track) but enough to get a sense of it. The 6th Gen 1LE is a huge step up from that car. The Boss for its time was great and certainly started the new pony wars - it was good, but not great on the track.

- Engine powerbands are opposite..the Boss is all up top and the LT1 is pretty much all below 5k.

- The Boss gets really hot on track and can overherat, the Camaro doesn't.

- The 1LE brakes are much stronger with better feel. (Especially after fluid and pads)

- The transmission is light years better with the Camaro

- The Mustang has better side visibility, but I think the Camaro is better out the front.

- The Mustang might turn in a bit better, stock. (This gets fixed with 19" wheels and a square setup with the Camaro

That's all I can think of for now!

Ken
I disagree with much of this.

The BOSS was amazingly fast for a solid rear end car and very track capable. This isn't a Mustang GT nor does it drive like one. It may require higher skills to get the most out of, but with some decent wide tires, it does not suck and it's a lot closer than a lot of people would think or admit.

The LT1 engine is most alive between 4000 and 6000 IME. When I punch it at 3-4K and take it to redline, THAT is where the fun is. Sure, it has torque around 1000rpm, but it doesn't accelerate fast at those speeds, it just pulls out of whatever situation it is. Some people talk about turbo lag, but this engine in a high gear and low RPM isn't going to leap either. The difference is the drivability at lower RPM, the LT1 is a lot more drivable at lower RPM...but if you are tracking or on a course, the engine punches much better at that higher RPM range. The torque curve is pretty flat, but the torque is still higher in that range, where you also get to max HP.

But I agree on the transmission, that's a known weak point of the BOSS.

Camaro visibility is not great by any measure. You do adapt to it and you do figure out where the edges are. You can't do stupid stuff like ram your tire into parking stops because you have a sports-car with low facia and aerodynamic stuff, but again, you adapt and get to understand it. I won my class in autoX this season and you don't do that if you are hitting cones. It did surprise me in many situations when I didn't hit cones, thinking that I was so close there is no way I couldn't have hit the cone, but that just goes to the adaptation stuff, you do adapt and you do figure it out. I like the aspect that you aren't riding in an econo-box car all upright with the world looking into your car.

The SS 1LE IS a generation better than a BOSS, but the BOSS was very good to start with in many ways and can be driven very fast. The 1LE is better in about almost every way, but in some of these areas is not by a huge margin IME.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #8
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post

The BOSS was amazingly fast for a solid rear end car and very track capable. This isn't a Mustang GT nor does it drive like one. It may require higher skills to get the most out of, but with some decent wide tires, it does not suck and it's a lot closer than a lot of people would think or admit.

The LT1 engine is most alive between 4000 and 6000 IME. When I punch it at 3-4K and take it to redline, THAT is where the fun is. Sure, it has torque around 1000rpm, but it doesn't accelerate fast at those speeds, it just pulls out of whatever situation it is. Some people talk about turbo lag, but this engine in a high gear and low RPM isn't going to leap either. The difference is the drivability at lower RPM, the LT1 is a lot more drivable at lower RPM...but if you are tracking or on a course, the engine punches much better at that higher RPM range. The torque curve is pretty flat, but the torque is still higher in that range, where you also get to max HP.

Camaro visibility is not great by any measure. You do adapt to it and you do figure out where the edges are. You can't do stupid stuff like ram your tire into parking stops because you have a sports-car with low facia and aerodynamic stuff, but again, you adapt and get to understand it. I won my class in autoX this season and you don't do that if you are hitting cones. It did surprise me in many situations when I didn't hit cones, thinking that I was so close there is no way I couldn't have hit the cone, but that just goes to the adaptation stuff, you do adapt and you do figure it out. I like the aspect that you aren't riding in an econo-box car all upright with the world looking into your car.

The SS 1LE IS a generation better than a BOSS, but the BOSS was very good to start with in many ways and can be driven very fast. The 1LE is better in about almost every way, but in some of these areas is not by a huge margin IME.
Oh for sure it is still an amazing car, no doubt! And, at the time it was pretty badass. Most of my time was quick lapping at altitude where it really put a dent on performance and cooling... that said, I drove one at sea level and it had the same characteristics, just at a quicker pace.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #9
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post

To be fair though, the Coyote, and the Road Runner even more so were all about top end. The fun was 4000-6800 RPM in the GT, and 4500-7400 in a Boss.

Having driven the Track Pack GT stock and tuned for a few years, I can vouch that the Ford V8 feels more alive at the top of the rev range than the LT1.

L1 still pulls pretty hard, but the Road Runner has it at the top end. Revs out quicker. Could be the gearing too.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:45 PM   #10
HI RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat as you are, but unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with a Boss Mustang. I have however been looking at a Camaro SS 1LE for several years now. And in my opinion there is no better bang for the buck than the SS 1LE in terms of performance cars. I almost bought one in 2019, but instead ended up purchasing a new SUV.

I currently own a 2003 Nissan 350Z that is highly modified (and the best handling car I've ever owned) and a 2009 BMW 135i that is also modded and has a tune. I've also owned a C6 Z51 Corvette and a 370Z in the last 15 years. I've held on to the BMW because I really hadn't found another car that I felt was significantly more fun to drive than the BMW that didn't cost a fortune. But every time I looked at something new I kept coming back to the SS 1LE. So a couple of weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on a 22 SS 1LE. I'm going to miss the BMW, but I can't wait for the new 1LE.
ZPirate, congrats on your purchase. What color did you order?
My BOSS was School Bus Yellow. I liked it, but it did draw a lot of attention.
Some times too much attention. I thought I would tone the color down a bit this time around. I am leaning towards Shadow Grey.

I have not driven the BMW 135 but have driven both a 350Z and a 370Z.
Nice cars for sure. The new 400Z had a bunch of press a while ago, but I have not heard anything recently.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:05 AM   #11
HI RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
To be fair though, the Coyote, and the Road Runner even more so were all about top end. The fun was 4000-6800 RPM in the GT, and 4500-7400 in a Boss.

Having driven the Track Pack GT stock and tuned for a few years, I can vouch that the Ford V8 feels more alive at the top of the rev range than the LT1.

L1 still pulls pretty hard, but the Road Runner has it at the top end. Revs out quicker. Could be the gearing too.
I know the MT82 transmission has its issues as does the stock clutch in the BOSS, but the gearing is spot on. That and the quick reving nature of the RoadRunner just made the car a ton of fun.

I am so hoping that the 1LE with the Tremec can match that fun factor.
To be totally honest, that is the most important thing to me.

Also hoping that the 1LEs exhaust sounds good as well. I had the re-stricter plates out of the side pipes the whole time I owned the BOSS.
I thought it sounded awesome!
Old 12-29-2021, 12:12 AM   #12
HI RPM

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions so far.

I hope to hear more.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI RPM View Post
ZPirate, congrats on your purchase. What color did you order?
My BOSS was School Bus Yellow. I liked it, but it did draw a lot of attention.
Some times too much attention. I thought I would tone the color down a bit this time around. I am leaning towards Shadow Grey.

I have not driven the BMW 135 but have driven both a 350Z and a 370Z.
Nice cars for sure. The new 400Z had a bunch of press a while ago, but I have not heard anything recently.
Thanks! I ordered a Rapid Blue SS 1LE. My second choice would have been either Riverside Blue or Shadow Gray. I think Shadow Gray really accents the lines on the Camaro and definitely looks good in 1LE trim.

The 135i is a real sleeper. Most people don't know what it is and they think its just a small coupe. In reality its light, nimble and with a tune pretty darn quick. My 135i has a Dinan Stage 2 tune and a bunch of M3 (E92) suspension upgrades. It's almost 400 hp and 415 lb ft of torque in a car that weighs 3,200 pounds.

Love the Zs too. I'm planning on keeping my 350Z. I preordered it when the Z came back out in 2002. I traded my 370Z when I purchased the 135i. I was going to order the new Z, but the release date keeps getting pushed back. Now I'm hearing that dealers won't be able to even start ordering the new Z until March 2022, but I wouldn't be surprised that it gets pushed back further. Based on the official release from Nissan the new Z will have 400 hp and 350 lb/ft of torque. It should be a fun car, but the Performance version will probably cost more than an SS 1LE.
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #14
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Camaro carries a warranty with it to the track and the Ford does not.. that alone is a great reason to go Bow-Tie.. like others have said the 6th gen Camaro is quite a big leap ahead of the Boss.. Boss is more equal to a 5th gen 1le..both older technologies..