Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
How reliable?

Hey everyone, how reliable are these LT4 engines? Aside from the oil pump issues some people see what other things are these LT4 engines known for as far as issues go?
Old 10-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Stock. No issues with the car minus the 2017 and some 2018 cars having oil pump issues. Keep up with regular maintenance and this car is solid.

Modding, it's like any car. You may have issues, you may not.

There is a girl who has over 100k miles on her stock ZL1. I think it's a 2018.

Edit: I have over 26k miles on my 2018 (is driven rain or shine) and have autocrossed and driven my car on road courses a few times each year since I bought the car in late 2018 brand new. No issues with the car and it's stock.

Last edited by Vigilante375; 10-17-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
So far I have over 21,000 miles on my 2017 and no issues. Keeping my fingers crossed though!
Old 10-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
rwarden90@gmail.com
Rwarden90

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
36k with LT headers, rotofab, and pullies. No issues
rwarden90@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
The current gen V LT4 has been around for roughly 6-7 years. GM has pretty much nailed it with the exception of the earlier oil pump issues.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
18,500 miles. Never a problem stock or modded.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Nice! I like what i'm hearing, i'd imagine that GM would have gone above and beyond with the internals etc with the amount of HP these cars are pushing stock, it's good to hear that my assumption was correct!
Old 10-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
Delaney

Drives: '17 Summit White ZL1
Just hit 50k miles on my 2017 Friday on my way to a track day. Keeping up with regular maintenance. No other issues.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm still wondering if there is a relation between the oil pump failures and those who chose not to break in their ZL1 properly. But of course everyone who had a failure will swear up and down that they followed break in procedure so there's no way to know the truth.

My ZL1 is a 17 that I bought brand new in early 2017 (March or April). I followed break in and babied it for the first 1500. After that I eased into it for another 100 miles or so. I've had 0 issues with mine. It's been rock solid and it has about 32K miles. I would not hesitate to buy any of them whether new or a first year.

But if buying used, make sure the warranty is completely intact and that the ECU has NOT been tuned, altered, tampered with, etc. Make sure it is not a salvage, flood damage, etc. Otherwise stay away.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #10
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '24 Blk A10 ZL-1 Vert
I traded in my 2017 ZL1 about six months ago. I bought it new about 4 years prior and it had about 36k miles. I performed regular maintenance and never had a problem, except for the TSB documented supercharger whine issue. I never tracked the car, but had no issues on the road with it.

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm still wondering if there is a relation between the oil pump failures and those who chose not to break in their ZL1 properly. But of course everyone who had a failure will swear up and down that they followed break in procedure so there's no way to know the truth.

My ZL1 is a 17 that I bought brand new in early 2017 (March or April). I followed break in and babied it for the first 1500. After that I eased into it for another 100 miles or so. I've had 0 issues with mine. It's been rock solid and it has about 32K miles. I would not hesitate to buy any of them whether new or a first year.

But if buying used, make sure the warranty is completely intact and that the ECU has NOT been tuned, altered, tampered with, etc. Make sure it is not a salvage, flood damage, etc. Otherwise stay away.
Blag, I am kind of laughing at your post. Looking at your present Camaro and your list of previous modded cars I have to ask. How did you sell any of these modded cars, by recommending to people not to buy a modded car.

Seriously, I know you don't mean it in the way this reads but, still laughing. You know if a car is modded by professionals the used car owner can enjoy many miles at a lower cost. With your experience in modded cars you can attest to the cost on some of your cars as well as others on this site. Modded cars do not get but a fraction of the cost back when sold. A well built professionally done car can be a steal if, it's the right one.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Blag, I am kind of laughing at your post. Looking at your present Camaro and your list of previous modded cars I have to ask. How did you sell any of these modded cars, by recommending to people not to buy a modded car.

Seriously, I know you don't mean it in the way this reads but, still laughing. You know if a car is modded by professionals the used car owner can enjoy many miles at a lower cost. With your experience in modded cars you can attest to the cost on some of your cars as well as others on this site. Modded cars do not get but a fraction of the cost back when sold. A well built professionally done car can be a steal if, it's the right one.
I have not sold any of my cars, I still have all of them. And I do not plan to sell any of them.

My advice is basic advice for most beginners who are new to cars or to Camaros or whatever. The problem is that a lot of them will buy a car that has been modded and then they have a failure, bring it in to get serviced, and realize that there is no warranty and end up being out a good chunk of money. So for those guys they do need to stay away from modded cars and make sure it has a fully intact warranty. That way if they CHOOSE to mod in the future then they can mod it according to their own tastes and follow it along the way and they will know everything tha has been done to it.

Now for those like yourself or others who are more advanced in this, then they know exactly what they are looking for. For those guys, they can save a good chunk of mone by buying something that has already been modded according to how they would mod. For those guys, my advice doesn't apply and I feel that doesn't even have to be stated because they know enough to realize that I'm talking to beginners.

But then also there are guys who just want to buy a nice premium level car that has a lot of power and to enjoy it. They might not be familiar with the fact that ECUs are locked from the factory. So they need to know that this isn't like it was a decade ago when you could tune a car and then return the stock tune and GM would be none the wiser. They need to know that if they are looking to buy a ZL1 then they need to make sure that it is unmolested because if that warranty is toast and the engine blows then they will be out by $15K at least.

Personally tho, I would never buy a modded car besides maybe suspension and brake mods. Engine and blower and cam mods vary wildly and for me it is a personal choice.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Also to add, my comment comes from my lack of trust in a lot of modders and shops and car guys. I've seen far too many people beat the piss out of a car to within an inch of it's life and then claim "never abused", "grandma driven", etc. I've seen way too many people buy ZL1s and right off the lot go doing burnouts with banging the RPMs off the limiter and doing WOT pulls etc. And I've seen too many examples of people returning highly modded cars to stock and then trying to fool the dealership. So my general trust is about non-existent. There are a lot of good shops out there. And if a car was taken to one of the well known shops and if there is a full build list with detailed info then that is fine. But if I was to buy a ZL1 all over again I would buy brand new.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Also to add, my comment comes from my lack of trust in a lot of modders and shops and car guys. I've seen far too many people beat the piss out of a car to within an inch of it's life and then claim "never abused", "grandma driven", etc. I've seen way too many people buy ZL1s and right off the lot go doing burnouts with banging the RPMs off the limiter and doing WOT pulls etc. And I've seen too many examples of people returning highly modded cars to stock and then trying to fool the dealership. So my general trust is about non-existent. There are a lot of good shops out there. And if a car was taken to one of the well known shops and if there is a full build list with detailed info then that is fine. But if I was to buy a ZL1 all over again I would buy brand new.
Nice stable of cars and reminds me of myself 20 years ago. I am but a back yard 16 yr old mechanic from the early 60's still modding cars and Harley's because that's what an old man does after doing it for 55 years. I am taking on the challenge of learning more about the newer muscle. I also bought mine new and have a build plan with my favorites starting soon and look forward to people like yourself help me learn. It will be a strong build but, conservative tune (ecm/tcm), street only. Raced pro moto-x for many years and you start to feel them.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is online now   Reply With Quote