Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Russ.G

Drives: 17 ZL1, 03 Z06, 98 Formula, 12 GT
Bought a rebuilt ZL1 and need some help.

I made a terrible mistake and bought a rebuilt title ZL1.

Ad said that it was only hit in the front. Turns out it was hit in the back as well.

I had to replace the steering rack, and the shop that did the replacement wasn't able to get the rear toe in spec, or get the camber within spec front or rear.

The camber is -2.9, -3 front and -2.2, -2.1 rear. That seems like way too much for a non-1le car right?

Ride height is 3.75-4in rim-fender on all 4 corners. That seems low to me.

The tags on the front springs are the stock GM part number.

Were the springs cut?
Is it normal to have that much negative camber?
Guy who have lowered the car what camber are you seeing?
Will lifting the car back to stock ride height fix the toe/camber problem?

What is a Salvage title 2018 ZL1 with nicely repaired bondo in the left rear worth?
Attached Images

Russ.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I wouldnt worry about it unless you start getting odd tire wear, and then you will either need to take it to a different place to align it that has a frame rack.

Did you look underneath to see if everything that was damaged was actually replaced?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - 652 rwhp, 588 rwtq SAE
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
Russ.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
I wouldnt worry about it unless you start getting odd tire wear, and then you will either need to take it to a different place to align it that has a frame rack.

Did you look underneath to see if everything that was damaged was actually replaced?
I did, and I had a dealer check all the control arms/ball joints up front. Everything up front looks good. They didn't even notice the damage in the rear.

Toe is pretty far out of spec is .05 actual is .58.

The car doesn't track right, and is a handful under power. When you accelerate hard, the car tries to turn on you. So it's stored until I can find a solution.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
How much did you pay for it? That might be a good factor on how much you can sell it for and if now is a good time to get rid of it and cut your losses before spending even more money on it.

If you do choose to keep it then maybe consider just gutting everything and turning it into a legit race project.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
It's possible that someone did either cut the springs, but the ride height doesn't look too far off of a stock one. Camber in the front can be easily fixed thanks to the adjustable knuckle, but if the rear won't come back to stock maybe look at some adjustable arms like the ones from BMR or SPL.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you are happy with your purchase then that’s all that matters. It might be difficult to trade it in on a new one though but hey who knows.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
If you are happy with your purchase then that’s all that matters. It might be difficult to trade it in on a new one though but hey who knows.
It doesn't look like he is happy with it at all. At least not from his opening statement that he made a terrible mistake.

Some cases are easier to just take a loss on it and consider it a lesson learned. Even if it is an expensive lesson.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
Russ.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
It doesn't look like he is happy with it at all. At least not from his opening statement that he made a terrible mistake.

Some cases are easier to just take a loss on it and consider it a lesson learned. Even if it is an expensive lesson.
The car has been a nightmare from day one.

On top of everything else, now the trunk wont open.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I would say try to sell it for as much as you can. You may have to pay the difference and chalk it up to a learning lesson.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I bought a restored salvage ZL1 last year and other then the paint job seeming to chip easily up front from road course dusting I have been very happy with it.

It tracks straight, no uneven tire wear and most of the mods I would have done had already been done and it hauls a. I knew what I was getting and it has exceeded my expectations. Sorry your experience has not been the same.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Push slightly down on the trunk while pressing the switch or remote. And if you have the title, part the car out Motor and transmission should get the bulk of the money back, then sell the body whole, or front clip, then doors etc. LT4 motors are going for good prices. 6 speed or auto? 6 speed brings more.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #12
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I would start by bring the car to a competent body shop and have the frame/body checked. Not being able to get the car within normal alignment specifications points to a frame/unibody that is out of spec. If so, the car can be straightened and should resolve a lot of problems.

And that should also fix problems with panels not fitting well and trunk having problems.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
To the Op, did you buy this car from an individual or dealership and was it disclosed to you before buying that it was a salvage vehicle? And my other question is why would you buy a vehicle with a salvage title instead of used or new?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
That toe will likely cause uneven tire wear. If they reduce the rear camber it may allow for more toe adjustment range to get it back in spec.

The amount of camber points to it previously being maxed out for road course track day use. It is adjustable front and rear if you find an alignment or race shop that knows what they are doing... asking if they have done custom alignments on 2016+ Camaros before is one way to find a good shop beforehand. You might get more even tire wear long term by reducing camber front and rear if you don't plan to do track days in the car.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote