Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
California FINALLY comes through

currently have a 4000lb $40k paperweight sitting in the garage.

bought the car from huntington beach mazda on 5/21/2021. paid with cashiers check and some cash. side note, was funny to watch the finance guy try to come up with $.21 change to finalize the purchase. they were a GREAT dealership....

well, been dinking with the california dmv ever since to get a title. We live in Vegas and have NEVER lived in cali. didn't take plates with the car as they wanted another $100 for plate fees. we trailered car home. Nevada gave us a 60 day move permit to drive on until we received title but last 2 months it's been a garage queen.
been a friggin mess since and trying to speak to the cali dmv is like phone hell where you eventually get connected to a rep that has nothing to do with processing titles.

well.... after 130 days, 20 hours of my time and 2 certified envelopes to Sac the title FINALLY showed up today in the mail

I now know how I'm going to spend my friday morning since nevada is 90 days out for appts. I see a camp chair at 5am waiting in line.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha i live down the street from there which car was it? never seen a 6th gen over there before but maybe it was hiding in the back
Old 09-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
sandm

2020 1ss blue. we bought end of may but had been on the lot since mid may. it apparently belonged to one of the sales guys and he traded in. my guess is it was in the back. that's where all the pics were that the sales guy sent me.
good dealership all the way around.

we stayed a few miles away on pch. pretty nice area but WAY too expensive for my taste.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha nice post up some photos when you have time and yup its a pretty fancy area always funny when i see plates from vegas and arizona driving around and then i go to vegas and i see tons of cali plates
Old 09-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm View Post
currently have a 4000lb $40k paperweight sitting in the garage.

bought the car from huntington beach mazda on 5/21/2021. paid with cashiers check and some cash. side note, was funny to watch the finance guy try to come up with $.21 change to finalize the purchase. they were a GREAT dealership....

well, been dinking with the california dmv ever since to get a title. We live in Vegas and have NEVER lived in cali. didn't take plates with the car as they wanted another $100 for plate fees. we trailered car home. Nevada gave us a 60 day move permit to drive on until we received title but last 2 months it's been a garage queen.
been a friggin mess since and trying to speak to the cali dmv is like phone hell where you eventually get connected to a rep that has nothing to do with processing titles.

well.... after 130 days, 20 hours of my time and 2 certified envelopes to Sac the title FINALLY showed up today in the mail

I now know how I'm going to spend my friday morning since nevada is 90 days out for appts. I see a camp chair at 5am waiting in line.
Had a similar-ish experience buying my car out of state last year. Biggest differences for me:

- DMV was closed. Period. Absolutely no option for anything.
- State where car was sold doesn't do temp tags.
- My state recently started doing temp tags, wait time via mail was easily 6-8 weeks (same as hard plates)
- I negotiated with the selling dealer that the Certificate of Origin would be provided to me as part of the sale

Mine sat in the garage for over 30 days until they opened up some reg options where I could take all of the paperwork to a car dealer and get hard plates in real time. Since I had a loan on the car, the title went to the lender, so I have no idea how long all of that took as it happened in the background once I had the papers processed for the reg.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #6
Staves

Drives: women crazy
How was tax paid? I thought if you’re out of state but take delivery in state purchased, you pay that state’s (CA) sales tax. Or did you only have to pay NV sales tax?
Old 09-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
How was tax paid? I thought if you’re out of state but take delivery in state purchased, you pay that state’s (CA) sales tax. Or did you only have to pay NV sales tax?
Many (Most? All?) states collect sales tax as part of the process when registering / titling. Depending on which two states involved (purchase and sale versus residence), the specifics could be different. When I bought mine last year, because the dealer wasn't in any kind of position to help with the reg, I paid everything direct to the state when I registered. If it were the year prior, I would have written a check to the State of CT for the tax but handed it to the MA dealer for "handling."
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
sandm

we have done this multiple times:

with our 2020 tige boat we paid 5k in tax to selling dealer in MN. when boat arrived, we took ppwk to tax commission and paid difference. this was a random amount. selling dealer was willing to sell with no tax collected since it's going out of state and frankly in MN, they really didn't care about tax or registration. they only wanted cash for sale of boat.

with our 2020 camaro we paid cali tax at time of purchase. once home, sent ppwk via email to tax commission and paid the $200 difference between the states. they refund if it's an overpayment in the purchasing state.

tax commission then gives letter to take to dmv or dnr when registering to show full tax paid.

dmv here will not take tax payments. needs to be paid prior to registration. used vehicles private party sale there is no tax owed.

if purchasing out of state and hiring a transport company, no tax is owed in selling state as long as transport company is licensed and registered. trailer picking up vehicle must be placarded with company name on the side.

this was our examples for our states. others will vary based on different states. bottom line before you purchase out of state, do some research. we did but didn't know nor factor in cali's horsepoop dmv and 130 days to get title. they keep claiming covid. I am SO sick of hearing that excuse for anything that's wrong with the world today. it's been almost 2 years. adapt and change....
Old 09-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Good luck having to do anything with California.

I bought a truck in 2002 in Cali when I lived in Vegas. I'm still waiting for the sales tax refund....