Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Buying parts from sellers on ebay

DON"T, most everything on ebay such as Spark Plugs Coils Sensors etc advertised as AC Delco are fake chinese knock offs. Go to a parts store and pay a little more for real parts. Don't say to yourself but it looks real, could cost you big if something goes way wrong using these parts. Ebay doesn't care and will do nothing to stop the fraud that at this point is way over the top.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yep, this has been an ongoing thing, just because they look right, they are not. Parts store or dealer for ANY electronic, ignition parts. Have seen way too many posts about the "fake" stuff on ebay and folks getting messed over. Spend the money and get the REAL parts you need and you won't have a problem.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
A couple years ago I bought an 8 pack of 41-110 ACDelco plugs from Amazon that I am nearly certain were fakes. They looked like the real deal, but the electrodes wore down almost completely in 15k miles.
Since I couldn't be sure (Chinese are fantastic counterfeiters!), I bought a set of NGKs from my parts store instead and never had an issue.

Certain parts I will only buy at parts stores now.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
I’ve bought multiple parts from eBay.. I always check the seller feedback/reviews.
730whp: 630Trq

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 09-16-2021 at 11:48 PM.
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
If it sounds too good to be true...
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #6
PaulsSS

The fake plugs are actually easy to tell if you have a real plug to compare it to. The blue script on the fake plugs is too blue and larger. I got scammed on a set of plugs too, didn't even make 10 miles. 1st time I got on it all the electrodes melted and the PCM went nuts. Every light in the instrument panel came on. I was at a complete loss as to why at 1st. I figured all I did was change plugs so I pulled a few to see no electrodes. I was pretty freaked out but luckily nothing was damaged in the engine. Now I'm shopping for new coils but not online, I looked a little on ebay but all I seen were ac-delco knock offs. When you check out the sellers country of origin and it says china don't do it. They even use the real part numbers but at least on the coils they are at the wrong place. I know what the real stuff looks like. Actually I couldn't find any real coils or plugs on ebay in the 10 mins or so I was looking. Terrible!
Old 09-16-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
The fake plugs are actually easy to tell if you have a real plug to compare it to. The blue script on the fake plugs is too blue and larger. I got scammed on a set of plugs too, didn't even make 10 miles. 1st time I got on it all the electrodes melted and the PCM went nuts. Every light in the instrument panel came on. I was at a complete loss as to why at 1st. I figured all I did was change plugs so I pulled a few to see no electrodes. I was pretty freaked out but luckily nothing was damaged in the engine. Now I'm shopping for new coils but not online, I looked a little on ebay but all I seen were ac-delco knock offs. When you check out the sellers country of origin and it says china don't do it. They even use the real part numbers but at least on the coils they are at the wrong place. I know what the real stuff looks like. Actually I couldn't find any real coils or plugs on ebay in the 10 mins or so I was looking. Terrible!
Yeah, it's insane. These days there are clones of literally everything. Worst part is they have flooded the market, making it difficult to find legit replacements without having to weed through hundreds of crappy quality parts.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:49 AM   #8
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
This thread is a great example on why this forum & members are the best. I almost bought a set of plugs on Amazon last night as my local part stores are out of stock. Today I will order a set from the dealership.

Thank you all for saving me a big headache!!!
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:28 AM   #9
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
DON"T, most everything on ebay such as Spark Plugs Coils Sensors etc advertised as AC Delco are fake chinese knock offs. Go to a parts store and pay a little more for real parts. Don't say to yourself but it looks real, could cost you big if something goes way wrong using these parts. Ebay doesn't care and will do nothing to stop the fraud that at this point is way over the top.
I don't think that's quite true.
It's about what you buy. Not where you buy it.

Even on E-bay can get decent things. But of course they are at different prices.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
PaulsSS

Good luck with that, I looked for real coils and plugs for quite a bit and couldn't find any legit ones. Local Autozone has lifetime warranty on the coils and good reviews + I know they are real. Amazon is a crap shoot too but at least Amazon stands behind what gets sold. Ebay knows most all this stuff is fake but does nothing about it. On those fake plugs I bought Ebay refused giving a refund or shutting the seller down. I went to my CC company and got the money back. CC company told me they deal with this daily with Ebay.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #11
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Been fortunate with buying parts off Ebay, even spark plugs and coil overs. Except for a cam position sensor that only lasted a year. I'll check the seller, reviews and quantity of transactions. Camaro parts only come from reputable vendors and manufacturer's sites. And a lot of items come from Autozone or Napa.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #12
hawkyV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6m
Quote:

PREACH!!! All of the above is 100% accurate. I know this from firsthand experience.

I rebuilt my LS3 over the winter. All top notch parts from reputable suppliers. EXCEPT ONE. I got my lifters off ebay. The little voice in my head was telling me to stay away but I got sucked in with the promise of genuine parts and pictures of the lifters and their AC Delco packaging.
My valvetrain began making noise about 600 miles after the build. Long story short, I had 3 lifters chew up the cam and send metal chunks to all parts of the motor. So I had to start over from the beginning.

I have learned my lesson. My initial $50 savings turned into another $1800 in new parts and not being able to drive my car for the whole spring.
hawkyV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
PaulsSS

Dam thats a tough learn there. I needed lifters a while back for a LS1 and ALMOST bought a set from Advance Auto of all places, Because they had Melling brand in stock. Guy behind the counter warned me not to buy them. He told me they had a bunch of returns on them and doubted they were really Melling lifters. I searched the reviews and sure enough they were failing after just a few miles left and right!
Old 09-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #14
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I don’t know man...I bought some coil packs and plug wires for my grand marquis and it fixed my issues. It was idling rough and breaking up on top end. I knew the parts were knock offs but I didn’t care bc I only paid $600 for my mercury.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote