Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Anyone else experience an unrequested driving mode change while tracking?

Hey fellow 1LE and ZL1/LE owners who track their cars. I wanted to ask if others have experienced an unexpected driving mode change while driving laps at the track.

I have a 2021 SS 1LE had 2 instances at my last track weekend where I left the pits for my outlap in PTM Sport 1 setting, and a few laps into a session, the system wound up changing to standard, non-PTM "Track" setting that has the much more intrusive stability control (and traction control?). Upon playback of the PDR recording and analysis on PI toolbox, I can see when the mode changed and similarly, when the stability control started kicking in at almost every corner (brake pad smell also unusually present).

I suspect I may be inadvertently hitting the traction control button on the center console (and thus changing out of PTM mode) occasionally when I shift, but it's not something I can feel happening at the time. I had this problem when I first starting driving the car (traction control would turn off), but found a different way to grab the shifter that (I thought) had resolved the issue.

Anyone else have this happening on track to them? Any solutions?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I've had this happen a couple of times, with the gloves on I didn't even feel it. I try to make sure my hand is on the wheel now unless it's actually performing a shift. Hasn't been an issue the last few track days.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #3
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Yes but it was caused by accidentally hitting the set or resume cruise control button which disables PTM. I added disabling cruise control to my pre track checklist (since I normally leave it enabled and use it regularly on the highway) over a year ago and it has not happened again after many more track days.

The traction control button does not stick up so I think cruise control is the more likely culprit but it would behave the same way you observed if you somehow managed to tap it by accident while on track. If you managed to accidentally tap the mode selector button once, PDR would show Sport or Snow mode rather than remaining in Track.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Yep, very common to inadvertently hit one of the cruise control buttons, which will pull you out of PTM and re-enable all nannies. Make sure cruise control is off.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Yeah, happens on the street more with me because I'm hitting the selector with my wrist. When on track I have 2 hands on the wheel and don't linger around the shifter.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Many moons ago, there was a member here who 3d printed a cover for the mode switch.

I have hit it a bunch on a AutoX course. It's a lot of fun to discover halfway through a run that you are in snow/ice.

Somehow I haven't done it on track. But now that I've said that...

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I did but it was from an instructor so I just went with it
Old 08-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Many moons ago, there was a member here who 3d printed a cover for the mode switch.

I have hit it a bunch on a AutoX course. It's a lot of fun to discover halfway through a run that you are in snow/ice.

Somehow I haven't done it on track. But now that I've said that...

i seen that before but not sure if he ever made anymore to sell or just for him?