Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Be careful if you have to get towed

I've got a 2018 2SS 1LE.

During the last year, I took the opportunity presented by my employer to take time off. The last time I took off was January and February. My car sat pretty much the entire time. As a result, the battery went dead. I tried to charge it, but it wouldn't take a charge. So I called the local dealership to get the battery replaced under warranty. The dealer said they had to test the battery in the car, so they'd set up a tow with GM Roadside Assistance. The tow truck company showed up quick. They had to put my car onto the flatbed tail first. I watched the driver do his thing. Of course, he dragged the front splitter across my driveway and scratched the crap out of the bottom of it. I said something, and he played stupid, "Really?" He corrected what he was doing, got the car onto the flatbed, then secured it.

I didn't check to see what he hooked the winch to, or how he secured it. I know he didn't secure it with a web net over the tires (other towing companies had done that one previous cars of mine), or through the wheels.

Anyway, I got the car back with a new battery, and all was fine.

For a month.

Then, driving to work one day, any time I jumped on the gas, or his a decent bump, the rear end of the car would oscillate left and right pretty violently. It was a very strange feeling. I got off the expressway, and drove it slowly and carefully to work and home. The next day, I got under it, and I found this:

I took it back to the dealer, and they replaced that lower trailing link. It wasn't covered under warranty because it was obviously caused by damage. The technician and the service writer both said that when they held the two halves together, it was clear that something had pulled down the trailing link, causing stress. The stamped steel, the gave way over time. After a month, GM Roadside Assistance finally paid for the replacement of the trailing link. Everybody involved was convinced that the tow truck driver had hooked the winch to that trailing link, and then cranked down on the winch to secure the back of the car. That bent the edge of the trailing link, which led to failure.

If you ever have to get your car towed, make sure they do not hook onto the rear suspension stamped steel parts.

I've got BMR replacements ready to go in first chance I get for all of those stamped steel parts.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
KyBoy

Drives: '17 2SS H50
Hate that thise happened. There is tow hook spots, front and back.......

I stand corrected, there isn't one in the back. This still could have been avoided with a driver that cared to not damage your property.

We see too far.
Contacted Becky - 7/1
2000 - 7/5
3000 - 7/6
3000 - 7/11 TPW 8/1
3100 - 7/18 TPW 8/1
3300 - 7/20
3400 - 7/21
Built - 8/2 - PS 1,182/1 of 699US
4300 - 8/3
5000 - 8/5
6000 - 8/13
KyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Love the "Firehawk"! I had an 02 WS.6.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Well, I'm out of warranty so if my car ever has to get towed I go through USAA. It gets screwed up I'll tell them they or the tow company will be covering the cost.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #5
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Good tip. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #6
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I know it was warrantee.... But towing it to the dealership to get tested seems extreme to me from the get go.
Im thinking for the cost of a battery and the 15 minutes it might have taken to replace it.... I would just change out my own battery.
I never even went back to the dealership to get my free oil change.
Just not worth it to me.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
I know it was warrantee.... But towing it to the dealership to get tested seems extreme to me from the get go.
Im thinking for the cost of a battery and the 15 minutes it might have taken to replace it.... I would just change out my own battery.
I never even went back to the dealership to get my free oil change.
Just not worth it to me.

I agree. At least the dealer by my I wouldn't trust. I'd rather pay out of pocket than them dicking around with my car. You're rolling the dice going to a Chevy dealer even for a oil change. There are legit service centers like Stingray I've heard great things about but that's not the norm with GM.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
These are wonderful precise cars, but they are light weight and very fragile. To the tow driver that was just a handy thing to secure to.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
There are just as many if not more untrustworthy "aftermarket" shops out there. I see their work all the time at the dealership where I work. You just have to find a technician/service advisor combo who you can trust. You're way better off going to a shop that knows these cars regardless of where you chose.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I agree. At least the dealer by my I wouldn't trust. I'd rather pay out of pocket than them dicking around with my car. You're rolling the dice going to a Chevy dealer even for a oil change. There are legit service centers like Stingray I've heard great things about but that's not the norm with GM.
I've seen this so many times in so many posts. Are all the GM/Chevy dealers everywhere in the US crap except the one that is here by me? I've taken all our GM vehicles to the dealership here by me for almost 30 years now, including my Camaro. Never once have had an issue. I take my Camaro to the dealer for oil & filter change. I'm not crawling around on the garage floor. Too damb old for that. Not to mention getting rid of fluids around here is a pain as well. Glad I have a reputable GM Dealer in my area.

Last edited by jamala00; 07-18-2021 at 08:18 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I've seen this so many times in so many posts. Are all the GM/Chevy dealers everywhere in the US crap except the one that is here by me? I've taken all our GM vehicles to the dealership here by me for almost 30 years now, including my Camaro. Never once have had an issue. I take my Camaro to the dealer for oil & filter change. I'm not crawling around on the garage floor. Too damb old for that. Not to mention getting rid of fluids around here is a pain as well. Glad I have a reputable GM Dealer in my area.
+1 for having found a good reputable dealer. I used to have two trustworthy GM dealers within 15-20 minutes, one closed, but the other still gets all my business. Great people and great service. It just depends on the company, management, how they treat there staff, and if the staff are happy and then treat their customers well.

Just because one dealer/store/restaurant is bad doesn’t mean all are. At the same time, I’m not disagreeing with anyone who has had poor service, because I’ve been there as well. And what happened to OP’s car is unacceptable. Chances are the driver saw the damage when he unhooked, but didn’t want to own up to the mistake.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #12
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Interesting, both times I got towed by GM they sent out a "special" roll back. Not only did the truck have a lowering air suspension the guy specifically knew how to deal with "performance" cars.

And yes I am still pissed about seeing my brand new Camaro on a wrecker twice!!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
OP, thanks for sharing.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #14
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Tow truck driver sux. As for dragging the nose; Did the dealer you bought the car from give you your orange spring-spacers when you bought the car? Gives the nose a bit more clearance for towing. Need to take the weight off the front to install them, but it's not hard to do at all...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote