Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Heavy Rain, radiator smoking like a steam engine

Is this something you've seen before? When I finally got home and pulled in the garage, I seriously thought the rad overheated.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I get steam at the car wash, but my heat extractors are set up differently than yours. I could see serious steam if you had heavy rain and for whatever reason it wasn't draining through the extractors the way it was designed to.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
DorsoDuroJohn

Hmm, really heavy rain like white out conditions right up until I pulled er in the garage. So i'm sure its nothing to worry about, just thought i'd ask.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
Hmm, really heavy rain like white out conditions right up until I pulled er in the garage. So i'm sure its nothing to worry about, just thought i'd ask.
You wouldn't happen to know a lot of magic tricks? Or can long snap?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I've seen it steam up pretty heavily in both my old 17 ss and the current zl1.

it's definitely something that makes you go hmm, but it's harmless unless something is physically blocked or wrong with your car
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
My 2020 LT1 will do this every so often. It is my daily driver, so it sees all weather.
Steam is fairly normal on the cars with hood mounted heat extractors.

In an interview just last week, GM/Cadillac stated that this is the exact reason they went with fender vents instead of a hood mounted version on the CT4 and CT5 V Blackwing models.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
DorsoDuroJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
You wouldn't happen to know a lot of magic tricks? Or can long snap?

I don't get the joke.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 AM   #8
DorsoDuroJohn

it was coming out the front grill, not so much if any from the heat extractor on the hood.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
I seriously thought the rad overheated.
Check your fluid level in the surge tank. It is the lower one. There are multiple threads here on where to check and add. If your radiator is actually losing coolant the level will drop.

Since you have had this concerning "event," I would keep an eye on the temperature gauge. This should rise to about 200 and not move. Of course, on short trips you might not get there.

Last edited by ctrlz; 04-08-2021 at 09:02 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
DorsoDuroJohn

roger that, thanks.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #11
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If your loosing coolant and it's burning to the point of creating steam you would smell it. If you smell a maple syrup kind of smell you're losing coolant but more than likely it's just water from the road or rain off the hood coming in contact with the hot motor. Mine does it too and my coolant levels are dead on perfect.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:48 PM   #12
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Sorry to necro bump this thread.. But man did this ever get me.

I just bought my car in August, so haven't had it super long, but long enough I've washed it a few times. Well, I washed it for the last time of the year the other week, and I must have accidently sprayed a bit of extra water down the heat extractor on the hood. I started it up to warm the engine up, ya know, let it warm up so it dries good before parking it.

Man, did it ever start steaming, and keep steaming! I start basically freaking out, like, wtf, I bought a brand new car so I don't have to deal with things like a radiator leak! I was thinking, geez, gotta go to the dealer now, talk to them and somehow get this sorted now that it's not insured and there's now salt on the roads.

Luckily, I thought no, just wait a day or two and try again, since it really didn't smell like coolant. Also in the mean time I googled it and came across this thread. It gave me some peace until I finally tried it the next day. I started it, and also blew the car with the leaf blower some more. No steam!!

*Major sigh of relief*

Come on, it's my first new car, ok? I have an excuse, I think (lol)

Last edited by speedyink1; 11-23-2023 at 09:28 AM.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:43 PM   #13
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Speedy,

Pretty funny that this was a necro-bump, because I (guess I) just happened to notice this happening for the very first time myself, at the car wash, earlier today!

I had driven over there from work, say a 15-20 minute drive, and did a light spray (not holding the sprayer handle down) atop the front bumper. Walking around the car, the sunlight hit it such that I could see steam coming out, so I imagine that some bounced into the engine bay

The catch here is, the engine wasn't even running at the time!

So I think we can safely conclude that, given enough water from any source, some gets in there, and if sitting still, it'll steam.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:46 PM   #14
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Speedy,

Pretty funny that this was a necro-bump, because I (guess I) just happened to notice this happening for the very first time myself, at the car wash, earlier today!

I had driven over there from work, say a 15-20 minute drive, and did a light spray (not holding the sprayer handle down) atop the front bumper. Walking around the car, the sunlight hit it such that I could see steam coming out, so I imagine that some bounced into the engine bay

The catch here is, the engine wasn't even running at the time!

So I think we can safely conclude that, given enough water from any source, some gets in there, and if sitting still, it'll steam.
After that drive the piss out of it because you’re AIT will be lower in that weather
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote