#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
pay_day33

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Inferno Orange
First time 'vert owner

Hey all,
I've been a member of this site since I owned a 2010 SS. Between moving, getting married, and having a kid, we had to get rid of that and just recently bought a 2017 Convertible.
Anyway, I bought the GM extended warranty, and knowing the wealth of knowledge on this site, I'm looking for any issues I should keep an eye out for with the convertible. So far, I've seen the TSB for the rear window separation so I'll probably bring that up. Has anyone had any luck with using an extended warranty for convertible repairs? Is there fine print that I may have overlooked? Thanks all, and I'm glad to be back!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
One thing to keep in mind is according to the owners manual, put the top up & down with the engine running.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
I always shut down prior to putting the top up.

For economy.

Yeah... that's the ticket.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:51 AM   #4
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Congratulations on your 2017 Vert. Those are great cars (okay, I have a biased opinion).

There are other TSBs such as the Sliding Panels being stuck and the Top Not Secure error message. Ask me how I know

Despite having rear window delamination occur twice and experiencing the other two issues I mentioned, I do love my car. First time Camaro and Vert owner.

Enjoy!
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
One thing to keep in mind is according to the owners manual, put the top up & down with the engine running.
Lots of folks ignore that, especially considering that the remote will open the top (click unlock, click and HOLD the button for top-down). The view is, if there were a true risk with operating the top with the engine off, GM would have programmed the car to not allow it.

The suspicion seems to be that it's just a lot of power draw on the battery and this car has enough quirky gremlins that seem to show up when you don't keep the battery in good health and charge.

With that said, use a battery maintainer on the car to keep the battery healthy.

Last edited by ember1205; 06-19-2020 at 01:32 PM.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
If you happen to get wrinkles or some creases in the top, simply leave it in the sun on a warm day and they usually come out on their own. I usually garage my car, but when I get back from a long drive and put the top up, I leave it out for a little to get the wrinkles out.

Also, if you want to get all the little dust balls and annoying things that cling to your top, just use a large lint roller. Can usually clean the top in about 2 minutes fairly quickly.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
Well:
  • I put the top down all the time before starting by holding the ‘top down’ button on the key fob pointing the key fob right at the driver’s door handle from outside. (Sometimes, and sometimes repeatedly, you might hav to hit the Unlock button first.)
  • Most of my other verts (ex. BMW) would put the top up by holding Lock on the key fob. Camaro does not - this sucks, must put top up from inside car while car is still running, or at least in ‘accessory mode’ - hold On/Off ignition button for 10 secs.

Oh, I see Ember posted this too!

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Well:
  • I put the top down all the time before starting by holding the ‘top down’ button on the key fob pointing the key fob right at the driver’s door handle from outside. (Sometimes, and sometimes repeatedly, you might hav to hit the Unlock button first.)
  • Most of my other verts (ex. BMW) would put the top up by holding Lock on the key fob. Camaro does not - this sucks, must put top up from inside car while car is still running, or at least in ‘accessory mode’ - hold On/Off ignition button for 10 secs.

I did... And I actually also just went back and edited the steps I posted to accomplish this because they were wrong.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Well:

After turning the car off, you can still put the top up until you open the door though!
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #10
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Another thought occurred to me as well...

When putting the windows up after the top is in place, ALWAYS raise the rear glass first. This helps prevent the "my windows gaskets are fu><0red/don't seal tight" issue.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_6.2 View Post
Another thought occurred to me as well...

When putting the windows up after the top is in place, ALWAYS raise the rear glass first. This helps prevent the "my windows gaskets are fu><0red/don't seal tight" issue.
Here's a trick for closing the windows in order, automatically:

1. Lift the 2 back window buttons momentarily and release.
2 Hit the forward window button that is NOT lit (if front is lit, hit rear. If rear is lit, hit front)
3. Lift the 2 back window buttons momentarily again and release.

If the sequence is done properly, the rear windows will automatically close completely, followed by the fronts. Once you get used to it, you can do it without thinking.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #12
lcd550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post

2 Hit the forward window button that is NOT lit (if front is lit, hit rear. If rear is lit, hit front)

If the sequence is done properly, the rear windows will automatically close completely, followed by the fronts. Once you get used to it, you can do it without thinking.
+1...I follow this exact procedure.

BTW, I'm also picky and never drive with the windows down, top up.

Not sure if it does any damage but my brother had a 3rd Gen IROC Z Vert (late 80's early 90's) and he would say it would do damage to his top. I realize our Verts have come a long way since then.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
lcd550

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post

Not sure if it does any damage but my brother had a 3rd Gen IROC Z Vert (late 80's early 90's) and he would say it would do damage to his top. I realize our Verts have come a long way since then.
Here's a pix:
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post

When you say "back window buttons", I presume you're referring to the two window operation buttons? There aren't any "back window buttons" in this car and that confuses a lot of folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post

I have been told that driving with the top up and windows down cause a lot of buffeting, add that may be related to the delamination of the rear window problem (or may make it worse.

TBH, I don't really know why anyone would drive with the top up and the windows down for any sort of distance... It's either overly hot and AC is needed or the top can go down.