Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
Sangila

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black SS
Difference between SCT BDX and HP tuners

I'm looking into getting my first tune so this all new to me. Which do you guys prefer and why? I initially was hard set on the MPVi2 from hp tuners until i saw dynosteve and his support with the BDX (and not to mention its about half the price for remote tuning!). I'm not a hard core tuner/racer and probably wont be switching my mods until I cam (maybe at the end of this year).

Also do you have the freedom to adjust parameters with the BDX like you do with HP? looking to adjust little things like disabling DFCO.

Current mods are:
- RotoFab

- 95mm TB
- Holley Hi Ram

- TSP LT w/no cats
- MBrP race exhasut
Sangila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
My personal opinion is that, at least in this case, you get what you pay for.

Get the MPVi2 and don't look back. Especially if you plan on doing a cam later. Your car will already be unlocked on hptuners and you can just pay for a retune instead of more credits.

With HPTuners the software is free. You can get on the forums and adjust whatever you want on your own pc and your own car. SCT you have to pay another $300 for that.

Be SUPER careful about whom you choose for your remote tune. At best you can waste a few hundred dollars, at worst you can get a bad tune and be out some major cash for repairs.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
sct does not specialize in GM and is very limited. HP Tuners is the only right way to go with GM. You will also need a wide band O2 sensor to get a remote tune done. any tuner that says otherwise is a hack.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangila View Post
I'm looking into getting my first tune so this all new to me. Which do you guys prefer and why? I initially was hard set on the MPVi2 from hp tuners until i saw dynosteve and his support with the BDX (and not to mention its about half the price for remote tuning!). I'm not a hard core tuner/racer and probably wont be switching my mods until I cam (maybe at the end of this year).

Also do you have the freedom to adjust parameters with the BDX like you do with HP? looking to adjust little things like disabling DFCO.

Current mods are:
- RotoFab

- 95mm TB
- Holley Hi Ram

- TSP LT w/no cats
- MBrP race exhasut
I have always been a huge fan of SCT and still uses them daily but we stop at 2015 models and some 2016 models as development has slowed inside SCT for GM.

HPtuners is the best and my first choice for Gen6 Camaro.

I personally wouldn't tune a Gen6 with SCT because as your build progresses you will then be forced to move to HPtuners for additional table access.

And if your car is an auto SCT does not support anything past the 6L80E in the Gen5s.

HPtuners I can't stress this enough.

Doesn't matter if your racing or daily driving if you want to tune don't skimp or you will pay twice.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote