Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
No Ethanol?

So im at a Cadi dealer waiting for wifes xt5 to get finnished. A salesman is explaining to me that my ZL1 may run better with No Ethanol fuel...even though it is only 89 octane. Anyone hear this or try this? He says he has built several dragsters over the years and the additives in our typical 93oct just help "gum up" the engine. I explained we are supposed to use 93 top tier but he is adamant....i must try no ethanol 89 gas next time i work my fuel tank down...any thoughts??
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Oddspyke

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 convertible
Sounds like a smart salesman. Gets you to put marine 89 octane in your car, suddenly you're in the market for a new car! Genius.
Oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddspyke View Post
Sounds like a smart salesman. Gets you to put marine 89 octane in your car, suddenly you're in the market for a new car! Genius.
Ya im skeptical lol but this dude is swearing the car ought to perform better
Old 10-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Did he tell you little kids in China are starving cause were using ALL the corn for fuel. Thats my favorite.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Did he tell you little kids in China are starving cause were using ALL the corn for fuel. Thats my favorite.
His thing is that Premium gas is a scam and 0 ethanol doesn't have the thick syrup the high octane stuff has. I use 0 ethanol for my lawn equipment but not my LT4. So im curious if anyone has tried this in rheir cars...
Old 10-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
His thing is that Premium gas is a scam and 0 ethanol doesn't have the thick syrup the high octane stuff has. I use 0 ethanol for my lawn equipment but not my LT4. So im curious if anyone has tried this in rheir cars...

Thick syrup....thats gonna go on the "quote of the week board" here at work.

Thank you.

You will just have to do your own research. there are ALOT of threads right here on this web site for you to look at.

I do have some vehicles that I run E85 one creeping up on 10 years. I let it sit 3 months and just started and been driving it this week. I cant seem to have any of the problems that have been reported mostly by your salesmen.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Wilka_SS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Metallic Grey 2ss
Just LOL. I really hope you aren't naīve enough to even consider that.
Wilka_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
These cars are tuned for 10% ethanol from the factory. Running Ethanol free gas would throw of the fueling some because the ECU's stoich value is set to 14.07 which is stoich for E10.... so the sales man is full of shit.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
There is a local gas station near me that just opened recently. One product they had was 90 octane... no alcohol gas. Tried it in my ZL1 , and it really didnt seem as snappy as the 93 octane I get at sunoco. Which I am sure has alcohol in it.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:58 AM   #10
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
93 octane pure gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
I use 93 octane pure gas. The car loves it.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
I use 93 octane pure gas. The car loves it.
So does my weedeater!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #12
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
There is a local gas station near me that just opened recently. One product they had was 90 octane... no alcohol gas. Tried it in my ZL1 , and it really didnt seem as snappy as the 93 octane I get at sunoco. Which I am sure has alcohol in it.
Here in Texas sunoco 93 is ethanol free. I've tried 93 no ethanol, and 93 with ethanol, I cant tell the difference. Leave the 89 octane alone. Gas cover says 90+, 92-93 is what I run only.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
Oddspyke

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 convertible
I don't want to turn this into a lecture, but just in case anyone stumbles into this thread and gets the wrong idea...

Octane is basically a knock resistance rating. Higher octane is not a gimmick, it actually prevents knock (pre detonation) in high compression / forced induction cars. If you put a lower octane fuel in your car, the ECU will have to retard timing to protect the engine, thus reducing torque. In extreme cases, putting a lower octane fuel than your car is rated for in it can actually damage the engine.

Where this guy probably got his idea from is that ethanol does have lower energy content than good old fashioned dinosaur juice, but modern ECUs have that factored in and simply inject more fuel to compensate (a good ECU uses lambda not AFR, since AFR changes with the ethanol content of the fuel; I don't know if Chevy uses lambda targets, but the European cars do). Ethanol also has a huge cooling effect in the cylinder on DI cars, which is why people tune for high E blends; you can run crazy timing and make lots more power because the cooling also prevents knock.

Short version - that salesman is wrong
Oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddspyke View Post
I don't want to turn this into a lecture, but just in case anyone stumbles into this thread and gets the wrong idea...

Octane is basically a knock resistance rating. Higher octane is not a gimmick, it actually prevents knock (pre detonation) in high compression / forced induction cars. If you put a lower octane fuel in your car, the ECU will have to retard timing to protect the engine, thus reducing torque. In extreme cases, putting a lower octane fuel than your car is rated for in it can actually damage the engine.

Where this guy probably got his idea from is that ethanol does have lower energy content than good old fashioned dinosaur juice, but modern ECUs have that factored in and simply inject more fuel to compensate (a good ECU uses lambda not AFR, since AFR changes with the ethanol content of the fuel; I don't know if Chevy uses lambda targets, but the European cars do). Ethanol also has a huge cooling effect in the cylinder on DI cars, which is why people tune for high E blends; you can run crazy timing and make lots more power because the cooling also prevents knock.

Short version - that salesman is wrong