Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
thomaswatk

Drives: red ss convertible
all you Dodge Challenger Scat Pack present and past owners

I was just wondering the pros and cons of the Dodge Challenger vs the Camaro SS. I currently own a 2016 SS vert. It isn't a daily driver....used mainly for road trips...... (it only has 17K road mi.) and I'm mostly thinking about comfort. When my wife and I take a road trip, we may be in the car for 10-12 hours a day. Not necessarily every day, and of course a few stops here and there, but the point is we spend a lot of time in the car. I have never thought the Camaro was real comfortable, great car.....just not very comfortable. My wife thinks it's real comfortable. We're retired and even in my old age, I'm still a hot rodder. I never track the car, just love the feel of acceleration. Anyway, I like the looks of the Challenger, and am toying with the idea of getting one, and thought I'd ask what you think.
thomaswatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
m4nat

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Three months ago I was inches away from selling my Camaro and putting myself into a Scat Pack (amongst other cars). To get the "bad" out right away; the honest, truthful reason I instantly changed my mind was the weight after driving it.

The Camaro weighs a LOT less than the Charger/Challenger and you definitely feel it in the Challenger/Charger. It was a drastic change from the Camaro, and didn't feel as nimble, but for your use: I wouldn't let it deter me.

Onto the good though: both the Scat Packs are amazing to drive for long road trips, and are beyond comfortable. And the straight line acceleration on the scat packs feels wonderfully different (in a good way), the car comes alive in the upper rev ranges. I would 1000000% buy the scat pack if I was you, amazing GT car with plenty of go for highway driving.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
I've always thought that the old Challengers were great looking cars. The new ones are massive, hideous SUVs.
If you want an SUV, just get one that doesn't look like a huge cartoon of its former self.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Well maybe someone here will replay for you that actually has owned one or switched. I would read up at their forums and see what is good and bad about the car. Also maybe rent one for a road trip and see how it drives. It may not be a scat pack but it would let you get a feel for the size and road feel.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
I've always thought that the old Challengers were great looking cars. The new ones are massive, hideous SUVs.
If you want an SUV, just get one that doesn't look like a huge cartoon of its former self.
I'm going to disagree with this one, but not totally. I happen to think the entry level Challengers don't look very good, though they're more faithful to their original look than either the Camaro, Mustang, or (shudder) the Charger (which is nasty, muscle cars should not have 4 doors).

Having said that, the Challenger RT/SRT with the Scat Pack, wider tires and single large hood scoop is a very nice looking car. I like the look of the single scoop, and the bigger tires fill out the rear wheel wells nicely, whereas the skinnier tires on the entry level cars make the rear end look narrow and unappealing.

In a straight line they will definitely run, though through any kind of curves the weight and body roll are not fun. I think they look better than the Camaro SS 1LE, but they aren't nearly as fun to drive aggressively, and that's what I was looking for, which is why I own what I do and not a Challenger.

PS I have found the Camaro to be a much more forgiving car if you're driving it hard and at the edge. Very fast brakes, very linear handling, you always know where the car is on the road and how close to its limit you are. The Challenger is not nearly as forgiving.

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 07-15-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add info
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I've had my eye on the Scat Pack Widebody now for a few months and Dodge is making it real tempting. Local dealers have them right around $42-$44K depending on options.

If I could get find someone with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on a bone stock Scat Pack Widebody Auto and it's compariable to my 12.07 in the Camaro, I might just jump ship.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
hebert machine

Drives: 2018 zl1
I had a scat pack for a little bit and it was a way more comfortable car to ride in and the stereo system was 10x better than the camaro's. The charger is probably the more practical car to own since its 4 door's and just a fast.
hebert machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Find a late model 2017 SS Impala type car and you will have comfort and a nice car. Can even have a stick shift.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Let me start by saying I currently have a 2017 ss 1le as my “fun car” and love it. I’m a track junkie and I don’t think there is a better car on the market in terms of performance/$$. That being said I recently traded in my wife’s 2016 Charger RT (previously owned a 2014 Charger RT too) and picked up a 2018 Charger 392 with dynamics and plus package with 8spd auto. We share this car during the summer and it will be my “winter car” while my wife drives our Jeep so I get plenty of seat time.....and I absolutely love it. Every morning when we head out to work my wife asks “which car do you want to drive?” Every time I have to think twice.....the Charger truly is awesome. The 8 spd is phenomenal and the exhaust note is intoxicating even in factory configuration. It is more comfortable and just a much better all around daily driver than the camaro IMO. I’ve found myself on numerous occasions asking myself if I even need the camaro but that is quickly solved after a track day lol. No doubt the camaro handles better, stops faster, and is an all around better drivers car. BUT if I wasn’t tracking there’s no way I would own a camaro over the scat pack. I like the seats and heads up display much better in the camaro but other than that my only “complaint” with the 392 is the weight. It is noticeable on the street but definitely doesn’t make the car unenjoyable to drive. For me the 392 is the perfect daily driver/cruiser whereas the camaro is no doubt the best bargain if you want to hit the drag strip or set fast lap times. This probably will be an unpopular opinion here but I just like fast loud fun cars. Have owned a G8 GT, 3 Chargers, 2 5.0 mustangs, and my camaro....I feel like I’m pretty unbias lol. If you have any questions feel free to DM me
Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I LOVE THE CHALLY SCAT. IMO LOOKS BETTER THAN THE MARO. DOWNSIDE THERE TO BIG AND HEAVY AND STOCK FOR STOCK THE MARO GAPS THEM EASILY
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
How would you feel going from a convertible to a hardtop? That's the deal breaker for me. Now if Dodge made a Challenger convertible....
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If Chevy didn't exist I'd have a Scat for sure
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #13
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
So far this sounds exactly like the reasons listed in the "why it makes sense to end the Camaro" conversation.

All who have had experience with both cars seem to be echoing that the Camaro is only meant for performance, and that if you have any other "real world" needs, then the charger/challenger is the overall better car.

The only knock to the charger/challenger has been that it can't handle the curves in a high performance/track style of driving. Which is of course something that 99% of both Camaro and Charger/Challenger drivers will not / cannot ever do on public roads.

So just like in real world sales numbers, the charger/challenger is the better car to have.... unless you are in the minority that puts a higher value on performance capabilities, and are willing to sacrifice comfort and visibility in able to have them.

All that said, this is a Camaro forum, so expect biased answers.
Camaro5 said I should keep my 5th gen instead of getting a 6th gen.
Camaro6 said I should get rid of 5th gen and upgrade to a 6th gen.
Imagine that?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
Let me start by saying I currently have a 2017 ss 1le as my “fun car” and love it. I’m a track junkie and I don’t think there is a better car on the market in terms of performance/$$. That being said I recently traded in my wife’s 2016 Charger RT (previously owned a 2014 Charger RT too) and picked up a 2018 Charger 392 with dynamics and plus package with 8spd auto. We share this car during the summer and it will be my “winter car” while my wife drives our Jeep so I get plenty of seat time.....and I absolutely love it. Every morning when we head out to work my wife asks “which car do you want to drive?” Every time I have to think twice.....the Charger truly is awesome. The 8 spd is phenomenal and the exhaust note is intoxicating even in factory configuration. It is more comfortable and just a much better all around daily driver than the camaro IMO. I’ve found myself on numerous occasions asking myself if I even need the camaro but that is quickly solved after a track day lol. No doubt the camaro handles better, stops faster, and is an all around better drivers car. BUT if I wasn’t tracking there’s no way I would own a camaro over the scat pack. I like the seats and heads up display much better in the camaro but other than that my only “complaint” with the 392 is the weight. It is noticeable on the street but definitely doesn’t make the car unenjoyable to drive. For me the 392 is the perfect daily driver/cruiser whereas the camaro is no doubt the best bargain if you want to hit the drag strip or set fast lap times. This probably will be an unpopular opinion here but I just like fast loud fun cars. Have owned a G8 GT, 3 Chargers, 2 5.0 mustangs, and my camaro....I feel like I’m pretty unbias lol. If you have any questions feel free to DM me
Pretty much nailed it, although i highly preferred the interior of my Hellcat over my Camaro.

For the OP the Challenger definitely sounds like the better car for you.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote