Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
dbb143

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Borla Axle Back for ZL1?

The only thing I can find explicitly for 6th gen ZL1 via Borla's info is a full cat back style system. On Wildhammer's site though, they advertise the 11921 (ATAK axle back) as being SS/ZL1. Anyone have any experience with these mufflers fitting ZL1 or not?
dbb143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbb143 View Post
The only thing I can find explicitly for 6th gen ZL1 via Borla's info is a full cat back style system. On Wildhammer's site though, they advertise the 11921 (ATAK axle back) as being SS/ZL1. Anyone have any experience with these mufflers fitting ZL1 or not?
Any of the axles backs will fit but I would never give up the dual mode option.

We prefer to leave the factory muffler and replace the manifolds cats and x pipe with Ceramic coated Kooks LT Green cats and x pipe attached to the stock muffler.

This is what I run on my personal ZLE I can't tell you how many compliments i get on it. plus it adds 42 RWHP.

Give us a call before making any decisions will be glad to advise.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
dbb143

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Ted, understand and appreciate the response. I am planning on doing more down the road (headers, pulleys, etc), but for now while I wait on warranty (and this is my daily driver), just looking for economical (but quality) ways to get a little more "anger" out of it. Not going to lie, I feel a little embarrassed sound wise when I have to sit idle at a light next to a new 5.0.

Planning to keep the factory suitcase for any future updates as the build takes shape.
dbb143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
I just did the AWE axle back. Yes, you lose the NPP functionality, but embarrassed next to a 5.0 you will not be! Idle sounds fantastic and the car is amazing under throttle.

It's loud, but as quiet if not quieter than stock when cruising on the freeway or with steady throttle around town. As soon as you add a bit to the go pedal though... Oh yeah, and all those pops and crackles upon decel are a joy!

I start my car with the garage door closed (its insulated as well) and it isn't an issue for my neighbors. Houses are even pretty close together. Granted I work from home, so I'm not leaving at 6AM in the morning. Earliest I start the car is about 8:50AM to take my son to school.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I have the S-type ZL1 catback. I did a little research prior to purchase, but double check with your vendor as parts change. The catback for the ZL1 goes to a 3 in x pipe and tail section. If you want to use your stock x pipe than you would want the one that is 2.75 like you listed. I know you just want sound but when you get under there and see those pancake pipes its hard to not want to get the x too, so if you ending getting the X you mind as well get the bigger catback designed for the ZL1. I ended up getting the sec cat delete pipes too, so I could pull the factory catback off without cutting it.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote