Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
CtrlAltVirus

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro LS
New to the Forums

Hello, my name is Carlos I’m 19 years old and I live in Texas. I’m not much of a car guy because I didn’t grow up in a household of people interested in cars but been wanting to get into the car scene since I was 14. Recently I bought a used Gray 2014 Camaro LS (65k miles) as my first car and Ive been wanting to mod my car or upgrade a few things.

Audio system: I’ve been wanting to upgrade my Audio system from the stock one. I’m used to Bluetooth and having adaptors just to put music via the aux cord on my iPhone X is annoying. I was hoping you guys had any suggestions on a good and reliable audio system that’s not too expensive.

Spoiler/Wing: I really want to add a spoiler or wing but from so many manufacturers and designs I’m kinda overwhelmed by the choices even though I want a small nice looking one.

Paint job: It’s an used car so there’s a few scratches here and there but I was thinking of getting it a different color, Royal Blue or Scarlet.

Headlights/backlights: I want to change the headlights go something more “cool” looking and the backlights to ones that resemble the gen 6 camaros.

Seats: I’m not sure on this one but I wanted to change the seats from
Fabric to Leather and because I was thinking of getting a Royal Blue or Scarlet color maybe get black leather inside with blue/red stripes to its side.

Tires/Rims: I know nothing about this so open to all suggestions.

Anyways I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations since I’m not much of a car guy like I said and as for budget I’d have to say I’m willing to spend whatever amount throughout the year since I won’t do it all at once.

(ps. Sorry for bad pictures)
Attached Images

Last edited by CtrlAltVirus; 03-03-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: License showing
CtrlAltVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Welcome!

So, first things first, if you aren't car guy and want to get into cars, read these forums as much as you can and I bet you'll get answers to most of your questions.

Second, if you just got the car and don't know the history, get all the fluids changed out. Oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc. You want to make sure the car is in good shape before you start throwing money at it. Check the air filter, cabin air filter, tire pressure, belts, hoses, etc.

Not sure how to do it? Just do this for example:

Go to Google.
Type in: change air filter v6 camaro5
Press search

I bet you you'll find out what filter you need, what tools you'll need to change it (if any) and how to do it.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
CtrlAltVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Welcome!

So, first things first, if you aren't car guy and want to get into cars, read these forums as much as you can and I bet you'll get answers to most of your questions.

Second, if you just got the car and don't know the history, get all the fluids changed out. Oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc. You want to make sure the car is in good shape before you start throwing money at it. Check the air filter, cabin air filter, tire pressure, belts, hoses, etc.

Go to Google.
Press search

I bet you you'll find out what filter you need, what tools you'll need to change it (if any) and how to do it.
Alright man thanks! I took a work friend who is a mechanic to take a look at it and said the car was in great shape, the only thing I got to do now is change the oil which he said he can do it for free as long as I buy the oil myself. But ill take the suggestion and change all the fluids.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
So, if you have the money to get all the upgrades you are looking for spend money on tools too. An oil change only requires some $40 ramps (reusable), a ratchet and socket (reusable), oil, filter, and drain container (reusable).

So, for essentially $50 you'll have the capability to do oil changes on your own and not only can you use the ramps for oil changes, you can use them for coolant changes, underbody/engine inspections from underneath, etc.

The Coolant is super easy to do also, basically just drive the car up on ramps, open up the radiator cap, loosen the drain bolt on the radiator and let it drain out. Fill it back up, turn the car on and let the coolant flow into the system while continuing to top it off. Easy.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Welcome!

Go to Google.
Press search

George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First of all, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new to you ride! I’ll help where I can on recommendations.

Audio: I’m not going to be much help as mine is good enough when I’m not listening to my right foot, sorry

Spoiler/wing: There’s a lot of great places to order from. I’ve had luck with Phastek and RPIdesigns for body panels. Since a spoiler choice is so subjective I hope that at least pointing you to some reputable sites will help you pick a good spoiler. Just stay away from Duraflex when you’re getting any body part. They’re cheap for a reason.

Paint: Have you ever considered wrapping a car? Today’s wraps are getting better and better and are far easier, quicker, and can be cheaper than paint jobs.

Lights: Check out Phastek’s hero lights for the taillights. As for headlights check out Diode Dynamics, Phastek, and gen5diy.com

Seats: Not sure. Maybe swap for some factory leather seats?

Tires/wheels: Depends on if you want to keep factory sizes, widths, are you adding power? Nitto tires are popular, Michelin, Mickey Thompson street ET’s.

I hope this helps some.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Hello and welcome to the forum Carlos. There’s tons of information on all the topics you are asking about right here on this site. Check out the threads that pertain to the information you are looking for, or use the search function. Nice ride my friend.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
depending on if the scratches go through the clearcoat a good detail guy could buff them out a lot cheaper than new paint.if so add some silver or white RS hood/deck stripes and youre good.there are are places on ebay that ship spoilers already painted to match,a guy i know used them and looks good.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
grandpamike

Drives: 2014 2lt rs
welcome Carlos, all of the suggestions are spot on. I have a 2014 2lt/rs. I have done a lot of cosmetic modifications. it can get pricey. if you have any questions just pm me. I will be happy to help steer you in the right direction.
grandpamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Welcome to the Camaro 5 forums. I would recommend first doing all your general maintenance on your Camaro first changing all your fluids oil change, transmission fluid,differential fluid,brake fluid,and power steering fluid. Also I recommend l changing your AC Delco spark plugs. Most Camaro enthusiasts are not too happy with the stock audio system. I highly recommend slowly replacing the whole stock audio system as you can and add some subwoofer/s if you can. A lot of scratches will go through your clearcoat I recommend buffing out all visible scratches in your paint that you can find wax and polish. The best aftermarket wheels I have seen on our 5th gen Camaros are the ForgeStar Wheels in my opinion unless you are keeping stock Camaro wheels.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Congratulations on the new ride and welcome.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
CtrlAltVirus

Quote:
So, if you have the money to get all the upgrades you are looking for spend money on tools too. An oil change only requires some $40 ramps (reusable), a ratchet and socket (reusable), oil, filter, and drain container (reusable).

So, for essentially $50 you'll have the capability to do oil changes on your own and not only can you use the ramps for oil changes, you can use them for coolant changes, underbody/engine inspections from underneath, etc.

The Coolant is super easy to do also, basically just drive the car up on ramps, open up the radiator cap, loosen the drain bolt on the radiator and let it drain out. Fill it back up, turn the car on and let the coolant flow into the system while continuing to top it off. Easy.
Awesome will probably look at videos on how to do it so I don't mess up anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
First of all, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new to you ride! I’ll help where I can on recommendations.

Audio: I’m not going to be much help as mine is good enough when I’m not listening to my right foot, sorry

Spoiler/wing: There’s a lot of great places to order from. I’ve had luck with Phastek and RPIdesigns for body panels. Since a spoiler choice is so subjective I hope that at least pointing you to some reputable sites will help you pick a good spoiler. Just stay away from Duraflex when you’re getting any body part. They’re cheap for a reason.

Paint: Have you ever considered wrapping a car? Today’s wraps are getting better and better and are far easier, quicker, and can be cheaper than paint jobs.

Lights: Check out Phastek’s hero lights for the taillights. As for headlights check out Diode Dynamics, Phastek, and gen5diy.com

Seats: Not sure. Maybe swap for some factory leather seats?

Tires/wheels: Depends on if you want to keep factory sizes, widths, are you adding power? Nitto tires are popular, Michelin, Mickey Thompson street ET’s.

I hope this helps some.
Went to look for some of the items. They are great and kinda what I was looking for for the taillights and for the headlights. For the paint I didn't know much about it aside from seeing "peelable paint" places near me. I'd probably have to look here in the Houston Area where I can get it painted and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
Welcome to the Camaro 5 forums. I would recommend first doing all your general maintenance on your Camaro first changing all your fluids oil change,transmission fluid,differential fluid,brake fluid,and power steering fluid.Also I recommend l changing your AC Delco spark plugs. Most Camaro enthusiasts are not too happy with the stock audio system. I highly recommend slowly replacing the whole stock audio system as you can and add some subwoofer/s if you can. A lot of scratches will go through your clearcoat I recommend buffing out all visible scratches in your paint that you can find wax and polish. The best aftermarket wheels I have seen on our 5th gen Camaros are the ForgeStar Wheels in my opinion unless you are keeping stock Camaro wheels.
Yeah I'll first go ahead and do the fluid changes and maintenance then I'm probably going to go for either the Spoiler, Audio System or Tail/headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpamike View Post
welcome Carlos, all of the suggestions are spot on. I have a 2014 2lt/rs. I have done a lot of cosmetic modifications. it can get pricey. if you have any questions just pm me. I will be happy to help steer you in the right direction.
Hey man will probably do and I know for sure it will get pricey but doesn't matter since Ill treat my ride as my little baby :3

And thanks everyone for the warm welcoming, really appreciate that since I was kinda shy to even make a thread. Hopefully In a few months I can make a before and after of my car :3
Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #13
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Welcome Carlos!
I wish I had such a nice car when I was 19....mine was a mess!
You’ll find alot of helpful information here.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
CtrlAltVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
Welcome Carlos!
I wish I had such a nice car when I was 19....mine was a mess!
You’ll find alot of helpful information here.
:3 Yeah Ill browse around and as for the car at my age. I consider myself lucky but also not lucky. I worked hard to earn the cash, started cleaning restrooms at a store, moved up to manager of the whole place in less than a year. Had to put so many hours and wisely spend my money to get it. People would tell me, oh you can’t get it stop dreaming just get yourself a 4 door sedan like a 99 accord or corolla or something. Id feel down and sometimes break down and almost buying a Nissan Altima someone was selling me but then I decided it was my goal to get it no matter what others said and now here I have it, everytime I see it I get the biggest smile in my face )