Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
wnyzl11le

Drives: 2019 zl1 1le
Breakin & Track Preparation sheet from Chevy

I was on the net this morning found this from Chevy about breakin figured I would share. https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Gritesh

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black
800kms without exceeding 4000 rpm.

This ones gunna be tough I'll admit
Gritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
wnyzl11le

Drives: 2019 zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritesh View Post

Sure is.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Shoot, I didn't realize that not exceeding 4,000 RPM was only up to the 500 mile mark !!!

I went all the way to 1400 miles last summer without going over 4,000 RPM before having to put the car away !!!

I can't wait to get it over 4,000 RPM as soon as it comes out of storage.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Shoot, I didn't realize that not exceeding 4,000 RPM was only up to the 500 mile mark !!!

I went all the way to 1400 miles last summer without going over 4,000 RPM before having to put the car away !!!

I can't wait to get it over 4,000 RPM as soon as it comes out of storage.
ha ha... same here, but I got my break-in miles on in the 1st 3 days.

this is a great reference for track alignment settings too.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: '23 CT5-V BW, '21 Corvette HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritesh View Post

Cry me a river.

At least GM has reduced much of the break-in miles from what they were in the 2017 owners manual.

Keeping my car under 80 mph and not being able to drive at a constant speed for 1500 miles was not a pleasant experience.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Most of this seems counterintuitive to my experience from when I used to build motors. I always had better compression and oil loss results when I broke motors in hard especially the first 50 miles with lots of varied RPM and engine breaking. Really gets the rings seated during that early critical time when they can still wear into the cylinder crosshatch. Arbitrary RPM limits never made much technical sense to me other than not bouncing it off the rev limiter. However constant RPM and low throttle load is definitely not ideal for the first 500 or so.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Most of this seems counterintuitive to my experience from when I used to build motors. I always had better compression and oil loss results when I broke motors in hard especially the first 50 miles with lots of varied RPM and engine breaking. Really gets the rings seated during that early critical time when they can still wear into the cylinder crosshatch. Arbitrary RPM limits never made much technical sense to me other than not bouncing it off the rev limiter. However constant RPM and low throttle load is definitely not ideal for the first 500 or so.
+1, thank goodness for another guy with some actual experience.

The owners manual wasn't written by the powertrain engineers in the best interest of excellent ring seating, it was written to give the OEM the best possible legal advantage with a warranty claim.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
+1, thank goodness for another guy with some actual experience.

The owners manual wasn't written by the powertrain engineers in the best interest of excellent ring seating, it was written to give the OEM the best possible legal advantage with a warranty claim.
Also for reference I was building strung out turbo 4 bangers which I guarantee were dealing with higher compression and putting out more HP/cylinder and HP/L than the LT4. Motors run in hard (obviously turn the boost down, we would run the boost control wide open so we'd get maybe 10-12 psi instead of the 30-40 the turbo could build here at altitude) would always look better when we tore them down than a motor that spent too much time on the highway at constant RPM in the first 100 miles or so. Way less oil consumption too, even with forged pistons (which expand and contract more than cast).

You've GOT to get those rings properly seated and your window to do so is pretty small. Also I used to run dino oil instead of synthetic for break in but I believe modern synthetics don't prevent good break-in the way older ones did.

That being said I'm fully aware these limits are put in there for OEM warranty reasons (and to some extent to let people unaccustomed to big HP RWD cars some time to adjust before they go hooning off and killing themselves right off the lot), so it's really up to you what you want to do. We are talking about relatively minimal differences in the grand scheme. If you make a few less psi compression per cylinder and use 0.5 qt more oil per 3000 miles most people won't care.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Thank you for sharing your insight.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnyzl11le View Post
I was on the net this morning found this from Chevy about breakin figured I would share. https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
Thanks for posting - all of this is in the users manual. Chevy did a great job detailing break in and track prep!
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Never ever did we, my dad brother and I, have ANY sort of mercy on ANY car we owned. From pretty much minute number 1 outside the dealer parking lot we beat out cars relentlessly. Literally.

And guess what......they were all super fast for what they were. No blown engines or transmissions either. Take my word for it, consistent top speed drives were normal for me. Not run it up to top speed!!!!
Run it at top speed till the exit where I get off. 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 1.5 hours, whatever..... I just made sure my oil and fuel was up. Oil changes I did frequently cause we were burning the oil. EVEN WITH OIL COOLERS ON A COUPLE CARS!!!!! The oil at times after 2500 Kms was almost lumpy.

My mom is shitting her pants right now. She found out I bought the car. My dad is giddy. My mom is well aware of the way I am. Sometimes we can’t grow out of it. She’s afraid I’m gonna kill myself in it. I can’t blame her.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
You've GOT to get those rings properly seated and your window to do so is pretty small. Also I used to run dino oil instead of synthetic for break in but I believe modern synthetics don't prevent good break-in the way older ones did.

100% agree. Even burning the oil in the cars we drove, not burning as in blue smoke but burning as in overheating it..... if we pulled an engine from a vehicle, like the time we sucked in a throttle blade during a nitrous run, they always looked really clean. Always.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol shit i was on the freeway doing 120mph my first night i picked up my car

crazy how quiet and smooth new cars are at high speeds i didnt even realize i was going that fast lol