Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
bell_wc5

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro V6
New to this forum, and new to modding cars

Title says it all, I recently got a job that allows me to have some leftover money to spend on my car. It's only a V6 2014 Camaro that I received as a high school graduation present, but I do want to make it stand out and be different from all the other ones I see on the road.

My biggest question is... What happens to aftermarket parts after a car wreck? I've never been the cause of an accident, but in the last 5 years, I've had 8 people either T-bone me, rear end me, or side swipe me from texting & driving or just not paying attention. I would be devastated if I dropped a couple hundred bucks on parts or a few grand on wheels/tires and the next day I got into an accident and the insurance company would only cover the price of the car before the upgrades. How do you guys get around this? It's the only thing stopping me at this point.
bell_wc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Keep receipts.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I usually take them off before they take it away, if its somewhere accessible. At a shop, well that's tough. (you can ask if they will allow you to take off your aftermarket stuff before they come to appraise it). Make sure you have the stock stuff to put back on it. It does affect your settlement. My last few totaled cars I let them know what's on the car that's extra and they usually grant me extra on the final settlement.(it's not much). They usually have that stuff listed on their appraisal. depends on the estimator.
I lost about $3000 in aftermartket/performance stuff on my Harley from Harvey. I only got maybe 3-400 extra on my total settlement. The stuff was useless anyway, the bike sat under water for 5 days. it was only 9 months old.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
My insurance agent just told me to document all my mods with receipts. Most of us do that anyway. I've never had to deal with a claim for a totaled vehicle (with mods), so take this for what it is worth.

My advice would be to sell the V6 and get an SS if you want to go fast. You may have a sentimental attachment to the car and that's cool too. Just be prepared to be razzed every time you mention your V6 on here or on the FB page!!
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
You need to contact your insurance company before doing any mods if you are concerned about them being covered. The only way most insurance companies will normally cover any mods is if you inform them of the mods when they are done; if they accept them, they will adjust your rates accordingly. There are also some (performance) mods that some insurance companies not only won't cover, they won't cover the vehicle at all if done; if done without telling them, it may void your coverage if something were to happen. Personally, I always inform my insurance company of any mods and have them added to my policy. This really paid off several years ago when we had a vehicle stolen, the payout for the vehicle was adjusted to account for all the mods that had been done without question.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
My advice would be to sell the V6 and get an SS if you want to go fast.
gringo is not going to like this advice.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
gringo is not going to like this advice.
Yeah, but I said it nicely, which is not how he will be treated posting something like this on the FB page. At least he can hear it here from friends first!
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
bell_wc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Yeah, but I said it nicely, which is not how he will be treated posting something like this on the FB page. At least he can hear it here from friends first!

Haha yeah thanks for the heads up! No matter where you go... FB, Youtube, Insta, etc etc... I'm sure if there was a V6 only Camaro convention, there would be someone there that would give you a hard time about driving a V6. Truth is, yeah, it's not a V8, but with the way muscle cars are being offered as 4 cylinders and electric cars being more common, the stigma of driving a V6 10 years from now is not going to be as big as it is today. It doesn't bother me, it's just one of those things I have to deal with haha.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
bell_wc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
You need to contact your insurance company before doing any mods if you are concerned about them being covered. The only way most insurance companies will normally cover any mods is if you inform them of the mods when they are done; if they accept them, they will adjust your rates accordingly. There are also some (performance) mods that some insurance companies not only won't cover, they won't cover the vehicle at all if done; if done without telling them, it may void your coverage if something were to happen. Personally, I always inform my insurance company of any mods and have them added to my policy. This really paid off several years ago when we had a vehicle stolen, the payout for the vehicle was adjusted to account for all the mods that had been done without question.

Ok this is good advice, I appreciate it. I guess now it's a matter of finding which insurance companies will put up with aftermarket parts and which ones won't tolerate it at all. I'm sure most are OK with wheels/tires but things like straight pipes might be a coin toss, huh? Looks like I'll have to readjust the budget too because insurance might bump my premium up seeing they have to cover more than just the cost of the car.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
grandpamike

Drives: 2014 2lt rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell_wc5 View Post
Haha yeah thanks for the heads up! No matter where you go... FB, Youtube, Insta, etc etc... I'm sure if there was a V6 only Camaro convention, there would be someone there that would give you a hard time about driving a V6. Truth is, yeah, it's not a V8, but with the way muscle cars are being offered as 4 cylinders and electric cars being more common, the stigma of driving a V6 10 years from now is not going to be as big as it is today. It doesn't bother me, it's just one of those things I have to deal with haha.
there is a fb page called 5th gen camaro v6 non-performance group, its a good group.
grandpamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #11
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell_wc5 View Post
The only "stigma" of driving a V6 are in the minds of mostly stock L99 owners and maybe a few LS3 owners that can't hang with the new 6th gen SS.

People who say the V6 can't be made fast are either lacking knowledge on how to actually make the V6 faster or are just lazy and want something easier to mod or ready made from the factory.

High 12s to low 13's (what a majority of mostly stock L99 and LS3's run) is not really that fast today. Stock LS1 freaks were running close to those numbers nearly 20 years ago. Sure, they're faster than a stock V6, but they should be. 2.6L of additional displacement will help with that.

Actually, I'm more impressed with the power figures of the 3.6L V6 than I am with the V8. Any 6.0L+ V8 with decent factory heads and cam should be making 400 hp.

In fact, your common 60 year old SBC 350 with good heads, cam and intake can make that much power and with a carburator too. However, getting a 3.6L V6 up past the 300+ hp level takes some advanced technology and design innovation.

It is what it is. What makes me so curious about it all is the extremely hateful attitude some V8 owners have against V6 owners. Why are they so resentful towards the V6 Camaro?

It's as if they feel threatened in some way that it forces them to utter such ridiculous nonsense statements like "V6's aren't real Camaros" or "the V6 is slow". Well, let me tell you. V6's are real Camaros too. After all, it says C-A-M-A-R-O right on my front fenders. So, I guess GM considers it a real enough Camaro to put the Camaro nameplate on it.

As for the part that the V6 is slow, that depends on what we're comparing it too. For an entry level sport coupe competing in the low $20k price range, it actually offers class leading performance, style and handling. Some V8 owners hate hearing that for some reason.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #12
Camcar

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I had a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. No problem with V6s.
Camcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #13
N954

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
I have a 2012 V6

Go look up "Camaro v6 performance" On facebook. BCS Auto has a great community for mods. Read up on your year and understand what mods help.

Your first mod gives you the most 'oomph'. Buy -used- parts from people on here and off facebook. I got a Cold air inductions intake for ~170 instead of 400.

People will razz the v6. It is not going to EVER drag race like a v8. For cruising and commuting? Hard to beat.

Don't buy a throttle body spacer, or anything 'jet' made for this car. Snake oil.

Have fun!
N954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
When my wife got hit in our G8 I was told that the cold air intake that I had on it (with less than 3,000 miles) was not going to be covered. I had a receipt and everything. They suggested that I go get it off the car and try to sell it elsewhere because they wouldn't give me anything for it. If you can't afford to play then you're better off leaving it stock. Hopefully you don't end up in the same situation.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote