Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Nbritton91

Drives: 2017 LT
2017, Turbo 4, 1LS - Track day brakes?

Looking at doing pads and fluid for a track day.

Having trouble finding pads for the car... does anyone have any experience with tracking a base turbo car (small brakes, no brake or cooling package) as far as brake pads are concerned?

Planning on RBF 600 for fluid.

Thanks!

Neil
Nbritton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Friend of mine used to have a car like yours. He did a few track days on Michelin PSS in the SS 1LE sizes, DOT4 (not the RBF but you should be plenty fine with that), and stock brakes. He also picked up a set of the brake cooling ducts off the SS, which I would suggest trying to pick a set up as well. They can be found for pretty cheap on eBay or even on here IIRC, and are super easy to swap on.

I don't remember if the 4cyl has holes to bolt the ducts to on the control arms, so you might want to check that. Worst case, if the holes aren't there, you'll just have to drill a few small holes to mount it.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Hole should be on the control arms. I have pretty much the basic base model of a V6 or LT. And it had all the holes & provisions. There's also a thing where the holes are not drilled fully all the way through from what I remember when I install the brake ducts.

Also of you have the stock grille in the bumper, you may have to cut openings for the brake ducts. With the 1le/sema grille there os more air flow for the ducts.

Also check out kns brakes. You can select brakes on the trim model levels. Anything with basic lt or ls single pistons through out the years can be selected for your use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Friend of mine used to have a car like yours. He did a few track days on Michelin PSS in the SS 1LE sizes, DOT4 (not the RBF but you should be plenty fine with that), and stock brakes. He also picked up a set of the brake cooling ducts off the SS, which I would suggest trying to pick a set up as well. They can be found for pretty cheap on eBay or even on here IIRC, and are super easy to swap on.

I don't remember if the 4cyl has holes to bolt the ducts to on the control arms, so you might want to check that. Worst case, if the holes aren't there, you'll just have to drill a few small holes to mount it.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote