Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Zophix

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT I4 Black
Battery Drain

I've been experiencing a battery drain every few days to the point where I won't be able to start the car and need to get it jumped. I took my car to the dealership and told them what was going on so they could fix it. I left the car there for a week and they had no problem starting the car. The battery didn't drain once and they tested the battery and alternator just to be safe, they checked out. They also checked for any other electrical problems that could cause the battery to drain and found nothing wrong.

Since I got the car back from the dealership I haven't had a problem with the battery draining to the point where I can't start it. So I got to thinking what changed when I took the car to the dealership, the only thing was my phone.

When I drive around I plug my phone into the usb port to connect to android auto. It's also bluetoothed and paired to the car. So could the phone be creating some issue that causes the battery to drain?
Zophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No… One of the elusive problems with this gen Camaros, as they tend to drain the battery sometimes spontaneously overnight, other times after the normal, 4 to 5 weeks, they should be able to nail down the parasitic drain. Sometimes the battery is bad too, like I said, elusive. GM has given no decent answer on the situation. plenty of $85 jump packs for sale off Amazon, best to carry one.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
I don't know if this is your problem but I tested the two USB ports in my car and discovered that one is always hot while the other is only hot while the ignition is on.

If sitting in the driver's seat, the port on the right is always hot and the one on the left works off the ignition. I have my phone cord plugged into the one on the right but only use it while the engine is running.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Both my Gen5, and Gen6 camaros have had battery draining issues. On more than one occasion after sitting for maybe a week...stone cold dead. So much so, I leave mine on a battery tender, unless I am driving the car. My Gen5 had a battery replacement within one year. So far my Gen6..I never have it un-plugged from the tender.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Both my Gen5, and Gen6 camaros have had battery draining issues. On more than one occasion after sitting for maybe a week...stone cold dead. So much so, I leave mine on a battery tender, unless I am driving the car. My Gen5 had a battery replacement within one year. So far my Gen6..I never have it un-plugged from the tender.
Seem pretty crazy. Why have you not warranted it? Also, I removed both onstar fuses to totally turn off the transceiver. It stays on even if car is off from what I can tell. They wanna pay for my data, great. Otherwise , screw em.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zophix View Post
I've been experiencing a battery drain every few days to the point where I won't be able to start the car and need to get it jumped. I took my car to the dealership and told them what was going on so they could fix it. I left the car there for a week and they had no problem starting the car. The battery didn't drain once and they tested the battery and alternator just to be safe, they checked out. They also checked for any other electrical problems that could cause the battery to drain and found nothing wrong.

Since I got the car back from the dealership I haven't had a problem with the battery draining to the point where I can't start it. So I got to thinking what changed when I took the car to the dealership, the only thing was my phone.

When I drive around I plug my phone into the usb port to connect to android auto. It's also bluetoothed and paired to the car. So could the phone be creating some issue that causes the battery to drain?
The phone itself won't drain the battery, but maybe it's triggering a condition that's causing the infotainment system to not go into sleep mode or whatever low power state it should be going into when the car is off.

A member on the forum had a similar problem and discovered the infotainment screen was turning on in his garage while the car was off. He was able to track it down and the problem was fixed I believe. I can't remember if he had it replaced or not.

I don't see enough recent posts on the forum to draw the conclusion that's it's still a common issue. However, I'm curious to know if any 2018s have been having drain issues. Most complaints seem to come from owners with older cars.

I also use Bluetooth and Android Auto and so far no drain as of yet.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
My 2 week old 18 is showing some signs of being a little slow to crank, once very noticeably took it an extra second to start, other times its perfectly fine. Daily Driver...doesn't sit except overnight ~12hrs
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
There are TWO Onstar fuses? Numbers/Locations please
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackSaw View Post
There are TWO Onstar fuses? Numbers/Locations please
Hacksaw: I don’t have my car with me today, so if you’ll send me a PM I can let you know in a day or two. Just so you know, I yaked the fuses not due to battery drain, but because I am sick and tired of being tracked, harassed and annoyed from onstar. Plus, they use and sell your data. Dealers sign you up when purchasing your car, so I immediately cancelled service ( free or not...I don’t need it, want it).
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 AM   #10
Zophix

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT I4 Black
It's been about 2 weeks since I got my car back from the dealership. Not once have I connected my phone to the usb port and the car has started flawlessly. I also let it sit for a week and still had no problem starting it, battery levels normal. Once again the dealership found nothing wrong with the car.

Thus my only conclusion is that if I plug my phone into one of the usb ports it causes my battery to drain after I park my car. I have a Galaxy S8. I'm now using bluetooth to listen to my music instead of android auto and have had no problems.
Zophix is offline   Reply With Quote