Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
The Alien

Drives: 2017 2SS Covertible
Slot to charge phone and connect to Andorid Auto / Apple Car

Hi guys,

So, I realized that, when equipped, the wireless charger is less helpful than the blinker fluid and to connect the phone to Android / Apple car you need to plug it every time.

In addition,
- I'm not a real fan of windshield / dashboard phone mounts if not designed properly
- I don't text, don't surf don't do anything else I can't do with Android Auto while driving so...

I've built a slot where I can insert the phone and it gets charged and connected to the infotainment.
It's so simple as useful and I really love it.

this is not an actual guide with good pictures, my bad. Honestly it was a first test and I wasn't even sure if it was going to work .
another reason is because I needed the phone to take pictures, then you can't see it the very final result...

By the way, this is how it looks at the end:

I used a cover for my phone, an S7 in this case. I know cutting a Spigen cover to use just part of it it was 'extreme' but I was thinking I needed something with a rigid backbone.
At the end I've realized that any rubber phone cover is good enough; however, it must have the 'front lip'. In this way the phone will slide in the slot and will not fall off:

At first I've cut a very small portion of the top, too much small.
I was afraid the phone could fall off with the rubber without the top. Instead, in this way it was hard to insert and pull out the phone so, at the end of the work, I've cut another big portion, below the camera opening. You will see all the job was done with the small cut though:

Then I've plugged the phone to an USB cable and taped all around the bottom of the phone using the classic blue mask tape.

I don't have pictures of it because I had only the phone with me to take pics , sorry I had to get a camera for this job.

The reason of the tape is to be sure none of the super glue will touch the phone and make an expensive mess with it.

Using a Gel SuperGlue tube would be way more helpful. I've only had the classic liquid cyanoacrylate with me but consider the gel one for a better result.

Once the phone is taped, unplug the usb, insert the phone into the cover, then plug the usb cable again through the cover itself.
at the outside of the cover, apply just two small drops of glue between the USB connector and the cover , in order to lock it into the position you want.

When the glue is cured, then gently remove the phone from the cover, sliding it out from the cut opening.

Now, tape the interior of the cover to be sure no extra glue will pass inside , or the phone will have troubles to plug in:

Now, fill the gaps between the usb connector and the cover hole with some paper napkins, small pieces, rolled.
Use more paper towel to 'wrap' the connector to the base of the cover.

Using the super glue again, liquid this time, pour it to the paper wraps to make a sturdy armor around the connector and the rubber cover:

I know, the result is ugly but anyways the bottom is not visible since it's going to be placed between the seat and the center console.

But I painted it black with a sharpie just for personal satisfaction

Then I've applied some double tape on the back.
Note, if you use a rubber only cover, the double tape may not stick as good as having a plastic backbone.
And the picture still shows the cover without the final cut, at the end, I've removed everything above the tape strips:

I've put the cover on that spot in order to have an easy place to grab the phone and pull it out. however it was ugly so long and actually more difficult to operate:

So at the end I've cut almost half of it and placed close to the 'line' between the upper and lower center console plastics:

The cut is still ugly, it can be done better.

The wire goes under the lower plastic and then connects to the USB in the center glove box.

It can be plugged from the inside but I didn't want to open up everything just for that.

At the end, this is it, now I just need to insert my phone there to charge it and connect to AA, without rattling inside the cupholders or plugged with wires everywhere.

I hope it would be helpful for anyone or just to give a useful idea for a better looking project.

Let me know what do you think.

thanks!

Last edited by The Alien; 06-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I don't see any pictures.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
The Alien

Drives: 2017 2SS Covertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I don't see any pictures.
you are right, sorry for the issue, I can see them on my side but I think it's matter of cache on my browser, opening with Edge I can't see them either.

I'm going to repost it again

*Update:

Oh man, now I can see the pictures but they are shown twice, in the post and at the end as Attached pictures

I definitely need to learn how to post pics here.
thank you for the patience meanwhle...

*Update take II
yeeeah I made it!
Lesson learned, to use pictures among the text, create an album first then use those links not the ones for the attached pictures

Last edited by The Alien; 06-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I use the Pro-Clip mouting system. It's a two piece device. One piece mounts to the vehicle and the other piece connects to the vehicle mount and is a custom cradle for whatever phone you have.

I used this for years in my 5th gen. Now that I have the 6th gen I just had to order a new vehicle mount. They make two different ones for the 6th gen. One mounts to the right of the shifter down low and the other one mounts to the right of the speedometer. Both of the phone mounts have an adjustable angle and can be rotated for landscape mode.

For most phone mounts they sell two different versions. One doesn't have a cable connection and the other type does. For the one that has a cable, once you slide your phone into the mount, it's connected to the car's USB.

https://www.proclipusa.com/
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote