Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Another "clunk", end links already fixed...now what?

So I have another minor clunk coming from I believe the suspension. I can't quite narrow down if it is front or rear for some reason. The ONLY time I hear it is going over speed bumps. So it must be related to a greater amount of suspension travel? What else could it be?

I already had the TSB completed for the loose end links...and that fixed that issue/sound completely. This clunk is more of a single defined thump...where as the end link issue was metal on metal rattle sound.

I've gotta take her in for a 5k mile oil change shortly, so I'll ask at the dealer. But I like to go in with some suggestions as to what to look for...since just telling a dealer there is sound is often a lost cause.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I currently have the ticking sound when you are turning the wheel, really only noticeable at low speeds. Dealer said that it had to do with brake dust or something and to just spray it with brake cleaner. Is this how it is to own a Chevy?
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Could be a blown strut or bad pillowball mount.
or even a broken sway bar.
Does it handle odd since the sound first appeared?
have you hit a curb or bottomed out the suspension?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - 652 rwhp, 588 rwtq SAE
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Could be a blown strut or bad pillowball mount.
or even a broken sway bar.
Does it handle odd since the sound first appeared?
have you hit a curb or bottomed out the suspension?
Hmm...

Handles great, no difference in handling that I've noticed. No curbs hit or bottoming out of the suspension. Doesn't seem to happen if I take corners quickly, just low speed speed bumps (probably 80% of the time). I did make sure the wheel lugs are at 140 too.

I guess I should just have the dealer do a full inspection of the suspension components.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
I currently have the ticking sound when you are turning the wheel, really only noticeable at low speeds. Dealer said that it had to do with brake dust or something and to just spray it with brake cleaner. Is this how it is to own a Chevy?
Take the wheel off and apply a thin layer of antisieze to the mating surface. Made the noise go away for me.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Pretty sure there is a service bulletin out on this. My dealer was aware of the issue. He took the wheels off, cleaned the mating surfaces between wheels and calipers and torqued. That made the sound go away.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
So I have another minor clunk coming from I believe the suspension. I can't quite narrow down if it is front or rear for some reason. The ONLY time I hear it is going over speed bumps. So it must be related to a greater amount of suspension travel? What else could it be?

I already had the TSB completed for the loose end links...and that fixed that issue/sound completely. This clunk is more of a single defined thump...where as the end link issue was metal on metal rattle sound.

I've gotta take her in for a 5k mile oil change shortly, so I'll ask at the dealer. But I like to go in with some suggestions as to what to look for...since just telling a dealer there is sound is often a lost cause.

Thanks!
I’ve been hearing something similar since the car was new. There’s speed bumps in my development, and I’ll occasionally hear a “thump” from the rear when those wheels go over the bump. I’ve also heard it as the rear wheels go through a water drain channel that I drive through every time I leave my house.

I figured it was something the E-diff was doing as the rear wheels go over the bump/dip at different rates, but I could be totally wrong. It’s done it from day one, though. I torqued my front sway bar links just for laughs while I had it up in the air at my shop, but I didn’t check the rear. I’m not overly worried about the noise, as it’s not something I ever hear during normal driving.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I’ve been hearing something similar since the car was new. There’s speed bumps in my development, and I’ll occasionally hear a “thump” from the rear when those wheels go over the bump. I’ve also heard it as the rear wheels go through a water drain channel that I drive through every time I leave my house.

I figured it was something the E-diff was doing as the rear wheels go over the bump/dip at different rates, but I could be totally wrong. It’s done it from day one, though. I torqued my front sway bar links just for laughs while I had it up in the air at my shop, but I didn’t check the rear. I’m not overly worried about the noise, as it’s not something I ever hear during normal driving.
Have you guys checked the battery mounting in the trunk's spare tire well? That's the only think I can think of that might produce a clunk. I haven't noticed the noise on my 2017 M6 but I tend to avoid speed bumps and such. It's been rainy here so I haven't had mine on the road or up on a lift recently but I'll listen carefully now and have a look next time it's on the lift.

Quote:
I recently read through the list of service bulletins (TSB / SB preliminarily Information) but I didn't see any related to ZL1 loose end links. Could you provide a reference?

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
I too had the infamous clicking noise and took it to the dealership and they did the TSB then it came back. So a friend and I retorqued all the lugs to 145 ft lbs and found that on all the wheels 3 out of the 5 lugs turned half way around and the others didn't turn at all. We figured the studs were not seated properly. Try torquing them to 145 and see if it comes back. Its not brake dust, they are idiots.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Have you guys checked the battery mounting in the trunk's spare tire well? That's the only think I can think of that might produce a clunk. I haven't noticed the noise on my 2017 M6 but I tend to avoid speed bumps and such. It's been rainy here so I haven't had mine on the road or up on a lift recently but I'll listen carefully now and have a look next time it's on the lift.

I recently read through the list of service bulletins (TSB / SB preliminarily Information) but I didn't see any related to ZL1 loose end links. Could you provide a reference?

--Cal
I don’t think my battery is loose, but that is kind of what it sounds like to me. Almost like something heavy in the trunk moving around. I’m not too worried about it.

The clicking bulletin is 17-na-271. I can post a screenshot.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
BMWM.D.

Here it is....sorry about the quality and it being sideways.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
I don’t think my battery is loose, but that is kind of what it sounds like to me. Almost like something heavy in the trunk moving around. I’m not too worried about it.

The clicking bulletin is 17-na-271. I can post a screenshot.
Quote:
Here it is....sorry about the quality and it being sideways.
I did find the older version in the Service Bulletin thread. Your copy is newer. Thanks!

I'll double-check stabilizer bars (F/R) when I have the car on the lift later this week. It was clear this afternoon so I went for a drive, specifically to listen for any of these rattles, thumps, clunks, or other things that go bump in the night. Thankfully, I didn't hear any of these on my car. Of course it could just be that I'm deaf as a stump but even if I can't hear well, I can usually feel vibrations like this.

I took a look under the mat in the trunk. Oops... I was thinking about my 5th Gen 1LE when I mentioned battery location. On the ZL1, of course, it's behind the right-rear quarter panel, accessible through an access panel in the trunk liner on the right side.

There is a slightly heavy tool pack under the bottom panel (mat) that has room to shift. It contains the tire sealant and compressor for emergencies (instead of a spare tire). That could be bumping up and down I suppose.

I have my wheels off and on at least 2-3 times a month while switching between stock and drag radials at the track. That may be why I've never heard the infamous "clicking" wheels. While it may be true for some that the studs weren't properly seated at the factory, I think it's more likely that lug nuts are not properly torqued. I like KLR ZL1 suggestion of slightly over-torquing to ensure everything is seated but I would back them off and re-torque at the proper 140 lb ft afterward, skipping a lug after each torque. Even dealer service departments can't be relied on for lug torque. My dealer had to admit that they don't usually even put a torque wrench on it unless the customer specifically asks.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
mrG8

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT with a procharge
Your issue sounds similar to mine. They re-torqued the sway bar but I’m not sure they tightened the end links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Take the tech on a road test and see if you can show him the noise if you can make it do it.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote